Football Manager 2022

Lineker

Went back into my unemployed save where I had taken over at Kettering just before Christmas when they were hovering around the drop zone when they were expected to be around the play offs. Only told to avoid a relegation battle. By the time the youth prospects came through in March I'd gotten them to mid-table. Said youth prospects included a defensive midfielder who might break into the first team squad towards the end of next season 9(1.5 stars current ability) and a couple of others who might the grade the year after that depending on what division we're in. The stand out prospect though is Nick Crawford who looks like this at 15 years old:

image.png

Because of this talent (and the fact my current strikers weren't scoring regularly) he went straight into the first team where he proceeded to score 6 goals in the last 8 games as we finished 11th just 2 points outside the play-offs (making a 0-0 draw in the 2nd last game that much more frustrating).

Had decent summer transfer wise, fixed my midfield which was a problem the previous year (two half decent starters and no depth below them) and started the season with a 3-0 away win at Curzon. Board expect a play-off finish which the press agree with, suggesting a 5th place finish for us pre-season.

Apparently today is the day where I arbitrarily dump £29 on buying FM22 so that I can completely fail to get into that instead of completely failing to get into FM21 as I have been doing until now.

I am not a clown. I am the entire circus.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2022 at 11:28, Absolute JasonM said:

After starting a save at Newport and getting fired after january ended, I ended up signing on with Concord in the VNS.. Kept them from relegation, and then spent the past two seasons finishing 3rd both times and both times losing the playoff finals by a singular goal.

Frustrating stuff, thought about leaving, but ended up coming back for a third (and probably final) attempt at achieving promotion into the National.

Team building has not been easy in most of the seasons and mostly a case of keeping whoever performed and hoping they didn't demand too much money, whilst adding a few lads here and there... Six games into the season I finally hit the jackpot I was hoping for two seasons ago, by signing 33yo Danny Mills who had been released by Dulwich. in 22/23 he scored 43 in 43 at this level, and last season he scored 12 in 42 as a reserve for a Dulwich that would end up getting relegated back down.

Immediately started him, hoping for the best. And he scored 1 goal against Weston in a tidy win... Then only 3 days later at Dover he scored all five goals in a 5-0 destruction of them, four of them via the head and one from a penalty.

I shouldn't get excited too quickly, but man, if only this club had more money so I could've had him two seasons ago!

After struggling for 2.5 years, we've finally put it all together and won the Vana South in the 24/25 season AND the FA Trophy as well thanks to some inspired games and lucky draws.

Tired of the club's money issues, I immediately started to look into cashing in my chips for a bigger job and I made a leap into L1 to manage Shrewsbury, who were doing decent on money but were otherwise a relegation side struggling to get by... Except I got them promoted through a 2nd place in my first year.

Now i'm in the Championship, we're in a sub 10k stadium, And the board gave me a piddling 6 million (Yearly, not weekly!) to work with on wages. Which makes us by far the stingiest club in the Championship (#23 Blackpool nearly double my budget), and we're basically on a shoestring that makes L1 mid-table sides look financially powerful.

Made a few sharp signings, mostly younger players from around the UK I wouldn't be able to attract in League 1, and bolstered the club. But our best are still some of the worst compared to the rest of the league.

Got a few draws, two wins against Hull and Fulham, and then the rug was pulled from under us and we've been destroyed by Cardiff/PBoro/Ipswich and our morale's hit the toilet.

The remaining 38 games are going to be rife with suffering.

As with Concord, I'm very much open to move to greener pastures now... (Unlike previous saves in FM that have been based on club, I'm being a fully ambitious knob this time around and trying to reach a top job asap)

The favoured personal thing is weird. On the save I've posted in here with Curzon Ashton I got them their highest ever finish and got then the Vanarama North playoffs and didn't get on it 

Yet with Clyde, winning Scottish League 2 after they were relegated the season before, and being top of League 1 at the end of November before leaving to go Caen was enough. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle. said:

I'm starting to think the FM scheduling gods hate me. Drew Liverpool in the third round of the league cup, beat them 2-0. My opponents for the fourth round? Man City. Piss off.

My experience in FM22 has been equally hellacious. Sunderland and Newcastle (both at home, ffs!) in the Carabao and FA Cup respectively as the first opponents this season. Last season I also had super crappy draws.

With Concord I also never had a good away draw in the FA Cup.

UIltra frustrating because that's the only way to make decent money with those clubs because the stadiums were complete ass. I was selling out Shrewsbury piddling 10k all-seater in League 1, now in the Championship it feels like belt-sanding my balls because we're losing out on so much money, and lord forbid the game has the board adjust prices to better profit off demand.

It guaranteed that we're making a hard loss with Shrewbury this year. Not that I care because I announced my resignation at the end of the season, but this way I can't even leave them in a decent financial position :(

Have struggled to stay invested in a game for a while. Was doing a Santos save in Brazil but started in 22 instead of 21, so missed out on an easy year to develop all of the many, many prospects that club has. Alas. Tried a midseason Swansea and Leverkusen save, just didn't like it. So, I said fuck it and did the trope thing.

Blood Money save~!

Starting January 3, 2022.. Newcastle sit 18th on 17 points. Norwich are bottom and not a threat to survive. Brentford, Leeds, and Brighton all are on 17 or 18 points, and Crystal Palace and Leicester are both in the relegation fight too. Interestingly, Wolves are starting in 3rd place, Everton are somehow 4th, and realistically, Spurs and United are wank and outside the Top 6. Should be incredibly easy to survive relegation, which is needed since the blood money wants a finish around 10th.

Plan is to mainly play a 4231 vertical tiki taka style because I just seem to always settle on that, but a 5-2-3/3-4-3 counter attack is going to be utilized against better sides probably. Ready to go true English 4-4-FUCKING-2 once I get more talent up top in, especially since Callum Wilson starts off out for 3-8 weeks.

Right away, sacked almost the entire staff to bring in top guys that want that sweet rich tainted blood money. And of course, starting to upgrade the squad. My first signing? True sexy options! £51 million forked out for Renan Lodi, although I almost bought Alberto Moreno because I for some reason still love his erratic ass. Young Nico Williams came in next from Bilbao, just paying the buyout clause to get him, like Lodi. £25.5m is nothing when you're funded by terrorism! Williams is a RW who lacks flair b(9) and strength+stamina, but everything else looks great for a prospective IW/IF star.

I had a £23m deal lined up for Kevin Mbabu, but he wanted stupid money and I only want players who care about the rich tradition of Newcastle, not the oil money! So I ended up cancelling it, paying £7.75m on the expiring contract of Calum Chambers before he signed for Roma, and then Joe Scally for £5.5m to hopefully eventually replace Javi Manquillo, who has actually been great for Newcastle before I took over! He'll continue to start until he struggles, while Chambers is English and I still want to make sure I have enough of those HGNs long term.

I needed an attacker, and even looked at going big for Vlahovic or even just Belotti, but they weren't having it. Enter Amine Gouri for £21.5m that could hit £34m. Another potential 5 star prospect, because we're future building dammit! Gouri can play multiple ST styles, as well as be another LW option behind ASM. I wanted to sign Pepi too because MURICA, but he chose Wankchester United. Caoimhan Kelleher was a bargain at £2.6m so he's my new back up that can challenge for the #1 spot as well.

However, you think I'm done there? NO! I need to be true Blood Money and get ready for DEADLINE DAY signings! Just for fun, I made enquiries for multiple good talents, many from Portugal, and mainly CM/DLP options. They were all rejected.

I still wanted another ST after failing to land Pepi, so was able to bring Balogun on loan with a massive purchase option that I have no intention of ever exercising. However, Bayern gave me a purchase option of £24.5m for Tanguy Nianzou, which I can easily see exercising. I wanted CM depth still because Isaac Hayden, Sean Longstaff, and Jonjo Shelvey don't particularly scream quality. I wasn't sure who I would land but last minute Haidara was transfer listed and I stole him from under Aston Villa for only £4.5m. Versatile enough to play both BWM or DLP/B2B, so that's a great depth signing.

I was able to bring my net spend down to only £95m by selling off Mark Gillespie, Jeff Hendrick, Emil Krafth, Fede Fernandez, Dwight Gayle, and Matt Ritchie for a combined £25m.

January is a slow month of playing. Beat Brentford in the FA Cup only to land Tottenham away, so that's a loss! Held Wolves home 0-0 to nick a point and rode my luck to somehow beat Southampton 1-0. February is @ Spurs in the FA, @ Liverpool, Spurs again, and then @ Man City. Hopefully morale isn't shot because from there it's almost all relegation battles. Burnley, @Brentford, @Brighton, Norwich, and @Leeds. 

Time to get integrated new signings!

• Like 2

Well, I'm not finishing midtable! This might be my first FM failure. I honestly thought the squad would be fine after the January window but clearly I should've bought more actual talent than just talent w/potential. I've also had some of the most obscene bad luck I've ever encountered in this game. Some examples!

I land a 90+2 equalizer home to Spurs, in 3 minutes of added time. Spurs then win in the FIFTH minute of added time because Dubravka somehow parries a cross right into Kane's path to score when it was an easy catch. I then lose to Spurs on penalties in a FA Cup replay after twice having the chance to seal the victory but having the pens saved.

Next match home to Burnley? Lose on an 83' minute goal when Ciaran Clark tries to intercept a pass, only to slide tackle it into Dwight McNeil, putting him through on goal to score a breakaway.

Away to Brighton in a six pointer? Concede inside 20 seconds and then give away a soft penalty 10 minutes later..end up losing 3-0 after the horror start.

Later on away to Arsenal, earn a 1-1 draw but denied a 90+3 winner from Nico Williams because he is marginally offsides. Next match I get a 2-2 draw at Man United, doubling their xG, with Joe Willock chipping Henderson but hitting the crossbar and Callum Wilson fluffing a breakaway, both in the last 15 minutes.

I have 3 matches to go to save my ass. Thankfully, I think it's possible! Home to Watford who are only 4 points above us, away to a safe bottom half Palace side, and home to Leicester who are 6 points clear but should be safe on Match 38. Brentford are on 30 points with us but have a better GD by 5. Watford are on 34 points, Brighton 34 points, and Leicester 37 points.

A lot of players are just in rotten form. ASM's past 5 matches avg 6.52. Amine Gouri has 1 goal in 9(5) since signing. Renan Lodi is averaging 6.72 and could easily be dropped for Jamal Lewis. Nico Williams has 3 assists in 3(8) but his overall play is poor. Miguel Almiron is another avg form of 6.6 or under as well. 

Amadou Haidara has at least been a good signing, and Joe Scally has impressed in his 3(2) appearances. Pretty much need Willock to continue his finally improving form (6.90 in last 5) and Callum Wilson (5 goals in last 4, but were a hat trick, 2 awful performances,and a brace) to finish. My best player finally showing up would be great too! I've had ASM as an IW on the left both support and attack, and a supporting RW. He's been shit no matter where!

• Like 1

Match 36: Home to a Watford side that just lost 1-4 home to Brentford, on 34 points. We have to win pretty much, and will get us 1 point behind Watford. Dominated the match, but couldn't freaking create that goal. 76' minute, FINALLY a breakthrough with Balogun getting the goal! Hold strong, 1-0 win! Only one point behind Watford now, as well as Brighton. Brentford destroy Palace 5-2, so we're both on 33 points, and Leicester aren't yet clear with 37. 

Match Day 37: Lots of big matches! Watford host already relegated Norwich and can potentially ensure safety with a sub. Leicester can definitely be safe by beating Brentford. Brighton have it tough away to Europe chasing Everton. We're hosting 39 point Palace, who are guaranteed safety, barely. So let's get drama! Brighton get a 71' minute equalizer at Everton, only to immediately concede and lose 4-2. Watford go down to Pukki, and equalize one minute later. A point isn't great, but still better than nothing... Except Norwich then add 2 goals to win away 3-1! It's a day for away wins though because Christian Norgaard lands an 85' winner at Leicester! And like I said, away day winners! Gouri and Willock score less than two minutes apart from each other, Palace nick a goal back before HT, but we hold on strong in the second half! We get a deserved 2-1 victory! And thanks to Norwich doing us a MASSIVE favor, we're out of the relegation zone with one match to go! And it's now a HUGE relegation decider against the more talented but incredibly slumping Leicester! 

Last day of the season, home to Leicester, equal on points with 36. Watford and Brighton on 34 points, Watford away to red hot Leeds (they started the save off equal on points with me and now all the way you in 9th!) and Brighton hosting Champions Liverpool. Brentford (hosting top 4 chasing Chelsea) are also on 36 points. 2 teams are going down, we only are going down if we lose, and both Brighton and Watford win. Reasons to be optimistic!

Spoiler

Drama comes early though! Brighton score twice in 4 minutes against Liverpool and Watford go up against Leeds as well. That puts Leicester and I both in danger of the drop, but GD still has us ahead of both teams. One goal will change it.

And then, a red card.

James Madison foolishly goes two feet in on Isaac Hayden, known dribbling technician worthy of a hard challenge on, and gets sent off. About 20 minutes later, 3 minutes before HT, Luke Thomas clears a ball in the box as far as Joe Willock at the penalty stripe, and BOOM! 1-0, man advantage! Leeds also beg Watford back 1-1, so now heading into the second half, it's Watford and Leicester going down! Watford need a goal and Leicester to lose, Leicester need a goal or two Liverpool goals, Brighton have to hold onto the lead, and we pretty much need everything to go wrong now to get relegated.

Second half was uneventful really, but we added an insurance goal in the 85' to ensure our survival. Fortunately for Leicester, Brighton couldn't hold on and Liverpool scored 3 second half goals to put Brighton back in the bottom three...

... until Watford scored again in the 81' to go ahead 2-1 at Leeds and put Leicester in the bottom three with Brighton! Juan Camilo Hernandez the hero! And with every result pretty much going my way, Newcastle jump up to 14th place on 39 points! Maybe I won't get sacked now! And if I don't, Leicester you're totally getting raided!

Pretty incredible that we were in the bottom 3 pretty much the whole way until after Match 37, and then finished 14th place, albeit still just 3 points clear of the drop. Those draws against Arsenal and United technically didn't save us, but the momentum and morale boosts from those draws definitely is what got us to win the final 3 matches and complete the great escape!

Definitely going to have to continue to spend like crazy to upgrade the squad because the goal will almost definitely be to qualify for Europe next season. Nianzou will be made permanent but I'll add another CB, at least 1 great CM, and at least 1-2 attacking players. Wilson will be better off as a back up ST since he's not reliable fitness wise, and while Haidara has been a great starter, he's long term just a squad player. Willock is another better as a squad player, ASM has to show marked improvement, and sadly Almiron has just not played well enough to justify staying. He and Fraser will both be offered up this summer. Gouri and Williams will still get playing opportunities next season because they need to develop, but Saudi Arabia gonna want a world class attacker or 7.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lineker said:

But what is it!!

The penalty spot! 

Growing up, almost every field we played on had a white stripe instead of any penalty spot/circle. So it's been called the penalty stripe for most of my days actually playing. I know, damn Yanks and our SoccerBall

• Sad 1