Football Manager 2022

Lineker

8 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I remember learning years ago that it's because people react more positively to seeing a human face.

What about pareidolia type things like American plug sockets?

Managed to finish 2nd in the first season, though still miles behind Liverpool, who won the Quadruple. Took my spending past £500m with the signings of Luis Diaz, Joao Palhihna, Matheus Nunes, Ugurcan Cakir and Karim Adeyemi.

First XI is Cakir, Trippier, Romagnoli, Badiashile, Gvardiol, Palhihna, Rice, Nunes, Adeyemi, Diaz, DCL in a 4-3-3.

Liverpool must have been spooked, because they went out and signed Mbappe...

Played a season as Newcastle on the Xbox version. Finished a respectable 9th after hovering near the relegation zone for the first half of the season. Went on a nice 7 game winning streak, and finished with something like 11 wins in 14. 

I raided my beloved Sheff Utd for some of their better players, as well as grabbing some prem players. I play a 4-1-2-3 Gegenpress with Positive mentalilty.

GK: Dubravka

DL: Dummett

DC: Lascelles

DC: Egan

DR: Lamptey

CM: Berge 

AM: Almiron

AM: Loftus-Cheek

F9: Saint-Maximin

AF: Wilson

DF: Adams 

--

Che Adams is pretty good in the DF role, and Wilson is a beast in about 3/4 of games. He finished as the league's top goal scorer with 28. 

Next transfer window I'll likely focus on further strengthening at the back. 

On 11/12/2021 at 16:26, 9 to 5 said:

It's the camera cuts that hurts my eyes.

It's very youtube. Designed to get as much in as possible for engagement metrics. It's more algorthmic than authentic.

I don't dislike it as much as I do his audio. He's mixed this vocals to a point where he sounds like he's overdubbed. Which doesn't sound authentic to me. It sounds produced.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:39, Dang117 said:

I find it mad that there are people who can make a career based on making videos about football manager

I'm not surprised but ... I don't get the visual appeal of watching someone play FM. Now, I've never really gotten into Lets Plays and the only time I've watched a Livestream on Twitch was the Hbomberguy Donkey Kong 64 one so I'm not the best judge. I think it's fun to watch someone play an old game or really buggy game. To me, FM is a game that takes place mostly in your head when you're playing it. It's the difference between reading about Gazz's attempt to win the Pentagon vs actually watching Gazz play the game.

• Like 2

I don't know how much of a reason this is for people watching but to me there's an element of living vicariously through watching someone play, particularly for FM. Like, seeing someone like Kev play for like 20 mins kinda scratches my FM itch that I would otherwise need to invest several hours to do in order to play my own game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, King Ellis said:

I don't know how much of a reason this is for people watching but to me there's an element of living vicariously through watching someone play, particularly for FM. Like, seeing someone like Kev play for like 20 mins kinda scratches my FM itch that I would otherwise need to invest several hours to do in order to play my own game.

This is actually a good point. I used to love these massive big strategy games like Europa Universalis but rarely have the time to play them these days. Maybe rather than go to the lengths of reinstalling them all when I get the urge then getting bored after 10 mins I could just watch a video of someone playing for 10 mins.

• Like 1

I'm in the 22/23 season with Hertha Berlin. Finished 2nd last season, in a title race this season with Bayern, and qualified for the Knockout Phases after surviving a group with Real, Sporting, and Lyon, helped in part by an opening round win vs Madrid. However, drew Man City in the First Knockout Round.

Oh man, and FM gave me a game. Second leg UCL First Knockout. Drew 1-1 home to City in the first leg when they got a dodgy penalty; we were the better team by every metric. Second leg, we went down 2-0 early, looked like it was just a clear elimination. Second half, Munir (signed summer of 21 for €10m & been worth every penny. 7g & 11a in 30app in 21/22; 14g & 12a in 31 app this season so far) pulls one back with a long range stunner in the 63', and then substitute Thiago Tomas (signed January 22 for a measley €3.5m & also been worth it. 7g & 2a in 11(7) last season; 10g & 7a in 12(13) this season so far) gets in behind to score from the top of the box on his weaker foot in the 79'. Denis Zakaria (free transfer summer 22) gets himself sent off in 90+2, and we barely survive the final two minutes. We win, right!?

Nope. Forgot about the elimination of away rules :(. Cancelo makes the man advantage count 98' to go to 3-2, looks like we're dead. 120th minute, Maarten Vandevoordt (deadline day signing because starting GK Alex Schwolow tore his ACL also on deadline day) pumps it long, Davie Selkie flicks it on, Tomas gets onto it, scores! We somehow force penalties! It's meant to be, yeah!?

It wasn't. Selkie had his penalty saved in the second round, and City made all theirs. Gutting for Selkie too, who is like a cheat code in the Gegenpress despite terrible technical stats. He had 21 goals in 33app last season, and so far in 22/23 he's a damn absurd 26 in 23 in the Bundesliga, 32 in 31 all competitions.

Hertha Berlin is out. In fairness, City were so much better than us on the day, even before the sending off. 37-10 & 21-3 on target, xG was 3.53 - 0.92 in a 3-3 draw. 

Fucking drama.