Football Manager 2024

Lineker

How lenient are the board on the whole 'battle bravely against relegation' thing? Like, I know that's meant to be code for 'if you go down we probably wont sack you' but I got a suprise promotion to the Prem with a team largely described as League One quality and I wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-38. I've been gutting the team trying to cash in on those inflated transfer values and because I don't want to give Prem wages to aforementioned trash L1 guys. But, I've screwed myself a little by somehow allowing two guys to have the match highest earner clause and I outright refuse to let them earn an extra penny from that so recruitment has been...limited shall we say.

Pretty sure "battle bravely against relegation" is the games way of saying "yeah, you're going back down don't worry about it".

I'm in the phase of replacing some of the Fleetwood players who've been here since League One and it's genuinely hard for me for some reason. Like, yes, my keeper has been with us since 2016 and has now conceded 46 in 22 and is going to go even more downhill very soon, but does the 20 year old Brazilian regen I've just put a bid on have the heart and soul in him? No, but he does have half a star more current ability, two stars more potential ability and 14 years on Alex Cairns. :P

• Haha 2

Assuming they haven’t changed the expectation tiers in the last 25 years, there is one tier below “battle bravely against relegation” which is something like “you’re fucked so just enjoy the experience”.

I’ve never experienced it but I read the CM 01/02 manual so many times (didn’t have a very interesting childhood : /) that its contents are imprinted on my mind.

Just won the quadruple in season six with Coventry. Been playing the game for nearly 30 years and never managed it, to do it with Coventry in six seasons feels absurd. Won Europa Conference in season 4, the league in season 5, then everything season 6. Bananas.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Twist said:

Just won the quadruple in season six with Coventry. Been playing the game for nearly 30 years and never managed it, to do it with Coventry in six seasons feels absurd. Won Europa Conference in season 4, the league in season 5, then everything season 6. Bananas.

I had a brilliant Coventry save going. Then my son came along.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lineker said:

I divorced my wife, have my daughter 50% of the time, spend the rest of it playing FM. You know, if you need a way to maximise FM time and don't mind blowing up your life to do it.

• Haha 2

Started season 7 with Coventry and wasn't feeling it as much as what more could I possibly do?

So went back to a earlier save at the beginning of the summer, resigned and decided to change the save to a Road to Glory style save but with the added twist that I can't take over a team in the top flight in any country.

Ended up at Spezia in Italy after they failed to get promotion the season before. Turns out they had a tycoon takeover so that hopefully will make Italy a bit simpler. My hope is to get Spezia to a point where I can buy my Japanese regen from Coventry who scored 70+ league goals in two and a half seasons for me (including 15 in 11 after I recalled him from a loan at Watford in January).

I also noticed I'm the top Legend at Coventry. Had only made it to Icon after my first league win, glad winning the Quadruple was actually enough to place me top!

On 25/05/2024 at 12:46, Lineker said:

If you lose a tactical debate to a toddler, that's on you.

• Haha 2