The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Suarez has been off for a lot of games recently really. Sterling was kept quiet today and Liverpool ended up relying on Gerrard doing a Gerrard from open play.

I can't stand Mourinhos smugness and I'd completely argue that the point is to entertain the fans as well as win games. He got tactics spot on but man fuck Chelsea.

If he played like that every week at home I could understand that complaint, but to go away to the league leaders and get a result doing so? I'd be happy as a travelling fan, fuck the tv neutrals.

I don't blame the people who are all "fuck Mourinho". Chelsea have an amazing record against the top teams this season and defended perfectly today, but they aren't top because of not being able to break the teams down that go to the Bridge to defend. If Jose was willing to give credit for that, he'd get more in return.

Gerrard has had an absolute shocker there. Not just for the first goal but for the entire second half, was trying so hard to make up for the mistake that he was just rushing things and shooting from everywhere when an easy pass was on. The mistake happened to completely the wrong person for Liverpool, had it been another of the midfielders (Lucas, Allen etc) they would have continued with their normal game, Gerrard just got far too desperate and it completely destroyed any plans that Liverpool had.

Cracking by Mourinho though.

That was perfection by Mourinho.

So satisfying seeing Gerrard fuck up in the new deep role the he's been lauded for. Then for him to then resort to hopelessly shooting on sight from 30 yards like he's always done, is even better!

Don't really mind who wins the league now but that truly was beautiful by Chelsea.

I can't stand Mourinhos smugness and I'd completely argue that the point is to entertain the fans as well as win games. He got tactics spot on but man fuck Chelsea.

I'd rather a 'boring' winner than 10 years of almosts and not-even-closes.

I'd wager Arsenal fans might start feeling the same way soon.

Edit: can't believe I'm rooting for City of all teams.

• Like 1

I'd rather a 'boring' winner than 10 years of almosts and not-even-closes.

I'd wager Arsenal fans might start feeling the same way soon.

Sure the FA Cup will cheer them up, a little..

Blame Mourinho all you like, but that still doesn't stop Gerrard and Suarez playing their worst games for at least two years.

It's not even Gerrard's worst game of the season and Suarez (along with Sturridge) has been off the boil for weeks.

• Like 1

Next time Liverpool need to put on an extra striker, can we please just throw Skrtel up there instead of Asspass. Arguably the mose useless football player I have ever seen.

Chelsea played the game well, even if they were total cunts with time wasting from the 2nd minute on. It was a smart game plan, and they executed it well. It also helped that Suarez and Coutinho were complete ass today. Coutinho's passing was just atrocious. And the stuff about Gerrard is spot on - I was telling my friend that's what would happen after his gift... he went right back to that Gerrard of old who wants to let loose with shots all the time, but never really threatening the goal.

We were just off with everything today. Simple passes were misfired, set piece delivery was noticably poor (which is where we needed to excel to counter the Chelsea tactics), and almost every shot (that actually managed to be on target) was straight at the keeper.

I don't want to believe it's over, but I think the title is lost. I don't see City blowing the lead to Palace, and Everton are sliding... just feels like City has it.

Question for the armchair refs, if Cameron Jerome had followed up that played on dive with a deliberate handball or similar a minute later, could he receive two yellow cards? Or does the ref have to blow and book him immediately for diving?

All hypothetical, it's Howard Webb so no decision as per usual.