NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

Did Houston match Dallas' offer on Parsons or is he off the table too? Because if so, they really shot themselves in the foot with the whole hold out by Bosh. Which makes me question why he would pick Miami over a team that he would've helped a hell of a lot more.

Yeah, Bosh has a pretty sweet life in Miami. Houston is well......Houston. He's got his rings. Now he wants to get paid and be "the guy" rather than playing third wheel again. It makes a lot of sense. Plus, it's still way easier to make a playoff run in the East than the West.

I just don't see why he'd talk to Houston then. If he was never going to leave, why create the hoopla of leading other teams on? Especially if he loved the city that much. I mean all reports said he was only gonna stay if Lebron did and he visited other teams because of Lebron's undecided nature at the time.

EDIT- But I do agree about the east being way easier than the west. Maybe Bosh thinks he can pick up Lebrons peices.

Also rumors of D-Wade visiting Washington... Good for them?

Edited by Krone

Florida doesn't have state income tax either. And the reason Bosh spoke with Houston was probably the same reason Carmelo spoke with those other teams: to get a feel for what is out there and what the market is like for them. And at the end of the day he decided he liked what he had going for him in Miami more than moving on. It's really not that crazy of a concept.

People are weird when it comes to professional athletes. It's the equivalent of saying that if there were 5 companies chasing you and offering you different conditions, pay rates and professionals you admire to work with that you would just stay where you were.

He talked to other teams to see what their plans were and to confirm that he was a max contract player. He probably was considering Houston until he realised that he would likely be put as the third option behind Harden and Dwight and would likely catch any fallout (like Lin and Asik). By doing his due diligence he probably got Riley to confirm that Miami will be his team and they will pay him the max and put supporting players around him.

People are overly prone to side with owners and act like players are greedy, selfish jerks. Every employee should take the best offer for them based on what they want. It only is handled poorly when you do something like The Decision or lie to someone. If you just go out and get offers from everyone and take the one you want the most you're doing something no different than what I have done twice in the last year.

Personally, I hope Bosh can redeem himself in Miami and truly be the presence he was back in Toronto. I just can't see them making any moves this season at least that will make them any sort of contenders. Young teams like Washington, Indiana, Charlotte all seem like more optimal places to play if you're looking to win a championship which is really what this whole discussion is about. As a person, do you care more about winning or just getting paid.

Does the new contract for Bosh give him more $ than the one he opted out of did? Because if so I guess he really can't beat that.

I believe it should, it's a max deal from his previous team, which would mean it has the extra year other teams would be able to offer.

Personally, I hope Bosh can redeem himself in Miami and truly be the presence he was back in Toronto. I just can't see them making any moves this season at least that will make them any sort of contenders. Young teams like Washington, Indiana, Charlotte all seem like more optimal places to play if you're looking to win a championship which is really what this whole discussion is about. As a person, do you care more about winning or just getting paid.

Does the new contract for Bosh give him more $ than the one he opted out of did? Because if so I guess he really can't beat that.

Does he have kids and a wife? Because that's a good reason right there not to uproot your life and move. Not to mention Miami has previously been a place capable of attracting free agents and making good trades/has good weather/people actually want to live there etc. Basketball isn't all about 'I need to win a championship every year' especially when you have two. Your actual life and your family's life has to weigh into the equation. Especially when there's a better chance you will be able to sign a good player if you stay than if you go.

Miami is now 'the team Lebron left' for the next couple of years, nobody is expecting anything major. If they make the playoffs Bosh gets the credit of putting the team on his back or whatever, he also has all of the goodwill of Miami for not running away with his tail between his legs. On the other hand look at Indiana for the opposite, right now Stephenson is seen as a cancer, Hibbert has no value and George is seen as overrated. Nor are any of those teams truly 'one player away' besides potentially Indiana, but it would mean he's replacing Hibbert or West which means he isn't that 'one player'.

Edited by Quom

Also, Houston officially not matching the offer sheet for Parsons. So he's pretty much a Mav now.

Lots of money, but he puts up all-round numbers, is young, and is generally a good guy personality wise. As a Mav fan I'm happy to see him playing for the 2nd best Texas side now :)

Parsons tweet confirming it

Just heard from @dmorey and Mr. Alexander. Nothing but utmost respect for them, the fans and city of Houston. THANK YOU for your support!

Edited by Jasonmufc