Electronic Entertainment Expo 2015

King Ellis

The more I think about the less faith I have in a FFVII remake, but I'd bloody well love to have the original at hand again.

The emphasis on Remake over remaster worries me.

"Bringing Cloud and company into the modern gaming era with an all new action RPG real time battle system! Also no more clunky world map as a new streamlined menu system takes you straight to your destination. Use your summon materia to call forth elemental guardians for Cloud to ride into battle!"

Based on the teaser trailer, the extended universe of FFVII and the general direction of Squenix over the past 18 years, I reckon we're in for a much more poe faced and angsty remake of VII which is what really worries me. VII's far from perfect but it has such a charm about it that I can't help but feel will be lost in a remake. In fact, fuck it, someone prepare some hat sauce because I'm going to put my money where my mouth is...

The remake of FFVII will not include:

• Cloud crossdressing to trick a slum pimp into divulging the secrets of an evil billion dollar corporation.
  • Barrett in cute sailor pyjamas.
  • The owner of the Gold Saucer parading around in a thong.
  • The fucking Honeybee Inn.
  • A sentient double agent cat in a giant marshmellow suit going undercover as a journalist.
  • Palmer getting hit by a truck to end a boss fight.
  • A snowboarding mini-game during a potential apocolypse.
  • Reno and Rude gossiping about which of the good guys they want to have sex with.

Instead we'll get three whole buttloads more of Cloud's inner crisis of self-worth and it'll be fucking dreadful.

• Like 3

I'd suggest everyone take my approach to the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

It's going to be fucking awesome to experience that world in HD, I can't wait to see it. But once I've finished it the first time, I'm pretty glad I'll still have the original game to actually play.

There's no way this doesn't come out as a fucking action RPG, with something barebones resembling the Materia system and a majority of scenes and quests that aren't plot crucial cut. Probably a reimagined Chocobo breeding system that turns the quest for a Golden Chocobo into a 20 hour grindfest with in game purchases to speed things up. And I'll be shocked if they don't cut content and offer it as DLC later on. "Pre-Order from Gamestop and receive the timed exclusive Wutai side quest!".

Edited by TKzo Amore
  • Like 2

Yeah what Ticklez said. I think a vast amount of the charm of FFVII comes from the graphics and music of the playstation era, and I can't see it porting to HD without losing a lot of the charm but at the same time it's going to be epic as fuck. I loved Advent Children, I think this will be worth playing but I don't think it'll be a better experience than the original.

In regards to the Uncharted 4 stuff, has anyone confirmed how linear/not linear the game might be? I've been bored of Uncharted since the second half of 2, because it's just a straight corridor without much interesting shooting. The vehicle stuff in the gameplay video looked quite interesting to me, because it looked a lot more open. I'm quite keen on games that aren't open world, but have open areas for each map. (Like Arkham Asylum, less like Arkham City).

Anyone seen anything regarding it being more open, or was that just an entirely scripted event? Because if so, man, Uncharted is really following the Tomb Raider path, whilst Tomb Raider has hilarious subverted all of the boring design choices it did the first time around.

I dunno. It looks cool and I still like the Uncharted characters... but from a gameplay perspective, I don't think I really need another Uncharted that's not remotely evolved. They need to do something new, it can't just be another linear corridor shooter with a puzzle or two sprinkled around. You can make a cinematic adventure and still have interesting gameplay.

I'm so remarkably disappointed in the Nintendo E3 event that I'm tempted to get a PS4 or Xbox One within the next few months. They spend the week before the digital event giving us surprises out of nowhere but when it comes to the actual meat and bones of E3 they decide to give possibly the most underwhelming presentation out of all companies present.

Maybe I set my expectations too high because last year was literally "We need to save the Wii U", but this felt like a "We've given up on the Wii U, here's some 3DS stuff whilst we make the new console"

On the flip side I've got plenty of games in my backlog so I probably won't be as crushed if they announce a new console, but this feels like owning a 360 in its dying days and realising that all the dlc and purchases I've made throughout the console's lifetime are almost worthless in a year. Granted, that's since been resolved, but that's some major backtracking after "want to play 360 games? buy a 360 lol"

Yeah what Ticklez said. I think a vast amount of the charm of FFVII comes from the graphics and music of the playstation era, and I can't see it porting to HD without losing a lot of the charm but at the same time it's going to be epic as fuck. I loved Advent Children, I think this will be worth playing but I don't think it'll be a better experience than the original.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm kind of hoping they add more content on. Not that FFVII lacked content, that's the last complaint I'd ever give that game, I just love playing each new iteration of FF games where they add extra dungeons and the such.

I think we still get Cait Sith, the Palmer fight, and the snowboarding. You're probably right about the rest.

Yeah we'll get Cait Sith, but like fuck are we getting Cait Sith in a suit pretending to be a journalist when the whole party get captured by Shinra.

So Gears of War Ultimate and Killer Instinct got announced for PC last night. No Man's Sky (I'm sure Sony said it was "coming first to PS4" last year) is releasing on the PS4 and PC on the same day. Sea of Thieves is also coming to PC after being announced as an Xbox One exclusive at the MS show.

Do MS and Sony even know what exclusive means? They throw it out on games which aren't exclusive far too often. Some guy on my Facebook was getting ready to buy a PS4 because he thought FFVII was going to be a PS4 exclusive...

I'd suggest everyone take my approach to the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

It's going to be fucking awesome to experience that world in HD, I can't wait to see it. But once I've finished it the first time, I'm pretty glad I'll still have the original game to actually play.

There's no way this doesn't come out as a fucking action RPG, with something barebones resembling the Materia system and a majority of scenes and quests that aren't plot crucial cut. Probably a reimagined Chocobo breeding system that turns the quest for a Golden Chocobo into a 20 hour grindfest with in game purchases to speed things up. And I'll be shocked if they don't cut content and offer it as DLC later on. "Pre-Order from Gamestop and receive the timed exclusive Wutai side quest!".

I think this is more or less where I stand. Final Fantasy VII is the only game in the franchise I've played, and I only played it for the first time a couple of years ago. It's a game that has its flaws, but I don't think any of them have much to do with the graphical style and storytelling, and it's for that reason that I never quite understood the massive demand for a modern remake. However, seeing a reimagined Midgar in high definition will be interesting enough for me to keep my eye on this project, as will seeing how the world map sections are handled. I'm looking at the remake as an alternative retelling of an old story, but for me, the original will be the one I consider the canonical one.

Really, there's no way I can see this game not being derided by hardcore Final Fantasy VII fans, which is another reason why I couldn't quite understand the years of demand. Everyone has their own individual idea about how to make the game better and which bits need to be preserved, and when you're playing with people's memories of a product that's so cherished, there's no easy way to win. Personally, my ideal Final Fantasy VII re-release would be the exact same game with random encounters removed, the ability to save anywhere added and the combat system polished a little. I'm also fully aware that plenty of other people would hate those kinds of gameplay changes, but would like to see the minigames revamped or the addition of voice acting. The point is that when you're attempting to build on an almost twenty-year-old game with such a vocal fanbase, you're at the mercy of countless expectations that can't be fulfilled, whereas working with a blank slate takes away those kinds of pressures.

For all you guys know it's going to be a near-exact remake but with graphical updates and extra dungeons just like every single other Final Fantasy remake they've done. I don't get why you're all jumping to the negative when you know nothing about it beyond it being made. Just enjoy the fact it's being made.

• Like 3