2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

46 minutes ago, DYSI said:

Oof, Romo may be out up to 10 weeks with a broken bone in his back.

Stop reporting old news and go make a pick

• Like 5

I'm glad that Colin Kaepernick is trying to raise awareness on a serious matter.  But I don't particularly agree with the platform he chose because it was never going to actually lead into a discussion about the issues he was protesting in the first place.  Instead, the conversation is now about whether or not there ought to be restrictions on freedom of speech and expression.

And to those who want to limit the free speech of others, maybe they should focus on trying to shut down a group that protests military funerals every week and march around with picket signs that read "God Hates Fags" before worrying about a guy who chose to sit during a 3 minute song.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Busch Piazza said:

I'm glad that Colin Kaepernick is trying to raise awareness on a serious matter.  But I don't particularly agree with the platform he chose because it was never going to actually lead into a discussion about the issues he was protesting in the first place.  Instead, the conversation is now about whether or not there ought to be restrictions on freedom of speech and expression.

The people who are making the conversation about restrictions on freedom of speech are people who would have done that regardless of what platform Kaepernick chose, because they do not want to have those discussions. For people who say "It's ok to protest, but you have to do it the right way", the right way is protest quiet enough so they don't have to hear it.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Pizza said:

The people who are making the conversation about restrictions on freedom of speech are people who would have done that regardless of what platform Kaepernick chose, because they do not want to have those discussions. For people who say "It's ok to protest, but you have to do it the right way", the right way is protest quiet enough so they don't have to hear it.

People also don't want to be confronted with very real problems of race in this country. They always find a way to move the goalposts. Here it is "Colin's not oppressed, he's a millionaire!" which misses the entire reason why a millionaire would actually want to protest and draw awareness to something and be the best person for the job.

But, yeah, while I completely agree with and support him there is no real outcome from this. People will go "BUT THE TROOPS" as loud as they can and shut down anything that makes them actually consider how fundamentally broken some of this country is.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, damshow said:

People also don't want to be confronted with very real problems of race in this country. They always find a way to move the goalposts. Here it is "Colin's not oppressed, he's a millionaire!" which misses the entire reason why a millionaire would actually want to protest and draw awareness to something and be the best person for the job.

But, yeah, while I completely agree with and support him there is no real outcome from this. People will go "BUT THE TROOPS" as loud as they can and shut down anything that makes them actually consider how fundamentally broken some of this country is.

I'm a troop and I call bullshit on them.

We win.

So I also saw a meme i felt was apt.

imagejpeg

For context, a military friend posted this basically calling out the hypocrisy of our military brethren. At 4:30 on military bases he national anthem plays. Cars are required to stop, and if you are outside you stand at attention and salute if you are in uniform. If not you stand at attention. The hypocrisy comes in because a very large manjority of our people either run back inside to avoid the salute, or purposely wait until after 4:30 to exit a building. I wont lie, I avoid it, but I'm also not pretending that Colin Kapernick desecrated some sacred song about our country.

And for context, a good portion of our guys are conservative and bitching hard about what a scum Kapernick is.

edit - lol, I wrote manjority instead of majority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I think, in 2016, playing the national anthem before a sporting event is kinda silly.

Yeah, when it's not an international competition of some sort I don't really get it. I was especially bewildered when my dad and I went to a soccer game between Peru and Haiti and they played it before both teams came out.

That's a huge pot you're throwing a lot of people into. It's like any other extreme: those that really love the flag, really love the flag. 

And I'm assuming you mean it wouldn't be half as annoying if people didn't sing the anthem? Because I think more people do sing-a-long than not. That's been the case at every sporting event I've been to anyway.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

That's a huge pot you're throwing a lot of people into. It's like any other extreme: those that really love the flag, really love the flag. 

And I'm assuming you mean it wouldn't be half as annoying if people didn't sing the anthem? Because I think more people do sing-a-long than not. That's been the case at every sporting event I've been to anyway.

I see along with "Oh" everytime I go to a game.

But yeah there's a certain line a lot of people cross where they go from loving America to hiding behind its symbols i.e. really loving the flag. There's a big difference. I wear stuff that says America because this country is pretty good most of the time and I like to celebrate its holidays and its performance in international sports. Other people wear stuff that says America because they want to out-patriotism someone else. Like "I am America; you're not as America as I am."

That's basically what's happening in all the anti-Kaepernick takes btw.

4 hours ago, TCO said:

America in general has an absolute rager for its flag and national anthem and must have them featured at all times. It wouldn't be half as annoying if they actually sang along to the anthem.

Which is odd cos the US National Anthem is actually rad as fk to sing >_<

• Like 1