NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

That's a good point about Stevens I was unaware of. Didn't know he wanted nothing to do with Boogie.

Boston has so many future picks including 2 probably top 5 picks from Brooklyn in the next 2 drafts. I guess my one thing here is Ainge has been less-than-stellar at drafting. But you only need to strike gold once I suppose.

It seems like sacrilege to even hint at giving away a potential number one pick this year in the Brooklyn pick but the top of this class is all guards, which Boston already has plenty of in Thomas/Bradley/Smart. This is the time to make a move with picks, expiring contracts like Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko, and young guys like Rozier. 

8 hours ago, damshow said:

This is a great trade from NO's perspective. Davis had no help around him, suddenly he has an extremely talented player to share the frontcourt with. If it doesn't work out they gave up a bit, but no more than they needed to give up in a rush to contend with Davis. They might not make the playoffs this year, but they can make signings to flesh out the bench this offseason and be a top 6 team in the west as soon as next fall.

I can't fathom how Boston was unable to offer something better.

When I wrote what I wrote I was under the impression Cousins was a FA at the end of the season because it's what everyone on Reddit was saying. Since he has another year it makes it a much better trade for NO and a much worse one for Sac. I'd assumed they were cashing in because they knew he was walking anyway. 

He said he wasn't signing an extension because he wanted the $30 million, but now the trade is done what choice does he have? Sure he might walk but it's too late to get the extra dosh.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

The Kings turned down a deal that involved Andre Drummond.

I know we're supposed to laugh at Vlade Divac here but all signs are that Vivek really, really wants a team that scores like 140 a game for no reason besides it's fun to watch and Drummond ain't getting you there.

eh I personally think Drummond would just be the same as Cousins. Like if he was a player that could put a shit team on his back and drag them to new heights it would have happened. I don't think there's been a big in the league like that since Dwight was with Orlando (AD I guess as well, but he goes in with Dirk and Duncan to me rather than 'typical big man' if that makes sense).

As weird as it sounds I think Philly has now made a compelling case. I'd much rather my team suck arse for 4-5 years than to trade for a player nearly as good as the one we're giving up. Or even the Celtics model where they have a lot of good/great players, no superstars but have an arseload of draft picks they collected by moving their stars. New York and Denver have both shown it's not necessarily great for either team to make a massive multi-player trade for one superstar. I mean I'd still prefer it to them doing the KD and leaving for free, but I don't think long-term it's a wise strategy in comparison to just going the hard tank. 

Having said that I can't believe Hield and a single 1st (plus the ability to tank to keep the worst of yours and Philly's pick this year) is the best haul you get for Cousins. You'd have thought there would be a team that has draft picks plus a decent player. Especially a team like Boston where their juicy pick isn't going to change by getting Cousins. I can't see NO being worse after this trade. They're only 2.5 games out of the playoffs at the moment, plus there are likely players who aren't signed (Josh Smith) that will now likely see some value in going there in the hopes of earning a contract for next year.  

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

The timing is just bizarre to me. Divac went on and on about how they want Cousins to stay a King. And then literally a week later he's gone. With another year on his contract. It's not like they had to make the deal now. The whole thing just seems like weird timing to me.

It's insanity. But apparently Cousins and his agent have always said he would re-sign and didn't want to be traded because of the contract only Sac could offer. Only thing I can think of is when he was in NO he decided he loved it there and was all 'oi trade me here if you want me gone'.

Apparently in the past few weeks he'd fucked them over on a number of trades by telling teams he wouldn't re-sign with them (Orlando apparently were desperate and offered something much better than NO). 

Plus supposedly Ranadive thinks Hield is Curry 2.0. So that's another reason I guess. 

Regarding Drummond, Cousins is way better. It seems like it would have been an upgrade in Detroit but you worry if Cousins makes a somewhat toxic team worse.

Plus, Drummond is a bit of a pain in the ass in himself. Not nearly like Cousins but he has a tendency to pout if things aren't going his way. He is a hell of a player, but his effort is questionable. Also has a big contract. I don't know, hoping th Pistons swing something but not sure who they can realistically get that moves the needle.

Yeah, I don't see the value for the Wolves in this trade. They get a decent-ish but nowhere near his MVP level Derrick Rose by giving away the best pure playmaker in the NBA today. Or is the 2017 deadline going to be marked by ridiculous lopsided trades?

Edited by Jasonmufc

3 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Yeah, I don't see the value for the Wolves in this trade. They get a decent-ish but nowhere near his MVP level Derrick Rose by giving away the best pure playmaker in the NBA today. Or is the 2017 deadline going to be marked by ridiculous lopsided trades?

My favourite part is that Rubio actually has a better TS% than Rose. Rose is expiring and Dunn is so fucking terrible I doubt any team in the league would offer anything higher than a second round pick or a team cancer or a salary dump.

Lot of swirling rumors their inability to put together a trade for Cousins was the undoing in LA, and Jeanie Buss just grabbed control of the whole organization. Which is probably for the better, Jim Buss was awful. Magic has all the aura to bring free agents to LA, but I don't trust him running the day-to-day so I'm curious where that situation goes.

Rubio for Rose would be an idiotic trade for Minny to make. I can't even see the logic behind it. But then again so many illogical trades get discussed this time of year that never actually happen.

• Like 1

I really wish the Rubio for Reggie Jackson trade happened even if people weren't keen on it. 

The other rumor was DJ Augustin and Jeff Green for Reggie. I don't know, Rubio just sounds better to me. 

The pistons are also open to trading Drummond and turned down a trade from the Raptors where they offered the center they have that starts with a V.