NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

Great move on all sides. Orlando gets a talented forward and a first round pick to boot, which will help them because the team was going nowhere (as is tradition in Orlando).

And now the Toronto Raptors have an elite rim protector who brings a comparable scoring amount that Ross had. A guy like Ibaka is just what they need to really have a team that can go deep into the playoffs, because other than Jonas Valanciunas they had nobody that you'd regard as a starting big anywhere other than on tanking teams.

The race for the top 4 in the east is gonna get really interesting now, with the Celts and Raps having a pretty interesting team, and the Cavs being hamstrung with the Kevin Love injury.

The dunk contest was embarrassingly bad this year, even the ones that did work were all the same.

The skills challenge will always be my favourite part of it, I wish they'd expand the competition to 16 players as having two players going head-to-head makes it far more exciting.

Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins as the frontcourt duo is terrifying. Pels didn't even have to give up Jrue Holiday for Boogie.

10 minutes ago, maddog said:

Meanwhile in Boston, Trader Danny is holding onto those Brooklyn picks like the kid in monopoly holds onto Broadway hoping Park Place will fall in his lap.

Hey, gotta keep Terry Rozier in Boston...

I'm on the Celtics subreddit and it's all "oh gotta trust danny though"

UGH.

Boston sports before Belichek was so much better. Now Belichek makes everyone think there's plans here for everyone and it's why guys like Claude got to stick around 4 extra years for the Bruins and why Danny's been riding the Big 3 trade for a decade now and no accountability. The Red Sox ownership however have no patience so it's always fun to know John Farrell is on the hot seat (especially as a Yankee fan).

I dunno. I like Cousins a lot. But I don't really know if I'd want him as the face of my franchise. The Celtics reminds me of a Pistons/Mavs or whatever I'm not sure if I was going to add a big name to the mix I'd choose Cousins. Having said that Jimmy Butler who is meant to be the prize they want seems like he might be a bit of a bitch behind the scenes as well.

I'm also not 100% who really wins this trade. Pelicans have no depth. I'm not sure they're even making the playoffs without making further moves. Sacramento was already a dumpster fire, I'd think this was a 'sell the team' by bottoming out for max flexibility move except they just fought to keep the team there and are getting the new stadium. I personally think it's a shit trade for both teams.

It's worth it for the Pelicand to see what they can do with the two big men. I guess a lot of teams were just not interested in Cousins because he is such a head case. He probably needs a good coach and a veteran team to keep him in check, if that is even possible.

On the other hand, maybe he settles down? Zach Randolph and Rasheed Wallace did. 

This is a great trade from NO's perspective. Davis had no help around him, suddenly he has an extremely talented player to share the frontcourt with. If it doesn't work out they gave up a bit, but no more than they needed to give up in a rush to contend with Davis. They might not make the playoffs this year, but they can make signings to flesh out the bench this offseason and be a top 6 team in the west as soon as next fall.

I can't fathom how Boston was unable to offer something better.

Sure, Cousins can be hit and miss personality wise. But still, Sacramento gets a F- for this trade because it is just so inherently bad in every way. They get a bunch of average players headlined by a chronic underformer, and they get a few picks that most likely won't be lottery picks thus they're about as valuable as a Sacramento Kings season-pass.

Pelicans on the other hand trade away a guy that's not panned out in the way they wanted him to pan out, and get a top 3 center to play next to their top 3 power forward with two pass-heavy guard in the backcourt to feed them. And in an era of small ball, this is the first true legendary frontcourt duo they've put together, two big guys who are damn near the perfect all-rounders for their respective positions. I'm not saying they're gonna win the title this season, but they suddenly have the most lethal front court in the league by giving away next to nothing of real value.

This is 100% a gigantic steal for the Pelicans, who even if Boogie doesn't pan out personality wise, could potentially be traded for something better than they traded away right now. Kings fucked up, royally, and I can see the Pels go far in the playoffs with two of the best bigs in the game right now. They'll be able to defend better, and there's no team that has two ace big defenders that can lock both of them down, one of them should have a great game at all times.

• Like 1

One thing with the Kings, and it was telling when they had that search going on for a 3rd team, is that no one was willing to offer a ton for as much of a boom/bust trade as Boogie. I think when they do the EPSN 30 for 30 about this trade we'll see that this offer was miles better than just about anything Sacramento was being offered. And I suspect the decision was made to just bite the bullet and get something, because you could potentially flip Tyreke Evans to a contender for assets. Lou Williams just got a little less valuable with Evans potentially out there on the market.

Friend mentioned the league hasn't seen a frontcourt quite like this since the 80s. Duncan/Robinson were at opposite ends of their careers. McHale and Parrish are the only thing close to this, though you could argue for Samspon/Olajuwon for the few years they were together.

Also Chris Webber and Rasheed could have been this feared frontcourt tandem but I'm gonna go cry into my Wizards jerseys.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maddog said:

Meanwhile in Boston, Trader Danny is holding onto those Brooklyn picks like the kid in monopoly holds onto Broadway hoping Park Place will fall in his lap.

Boardwalk.

@damshow Reportedly, Brad Stevens wanted nothing to do with Cousins because of his attitude and his say is carrying a LOT of weight with the Celtics office right now. 

And really? I'm happy with the Celtics team right now. We are making waves and have done so mostly organically. I'd love a true star to take some weight of off Isiah's shoulders, but I love this team. Okafor would fill the holes we have and Butler would obviously be a huge acquisition that would give us firepower against Cleveland. But I'm mostly just sick of hearing about it and wish Boston would either pull the trigger or make a statement shutting down the rumors. 

Also, please don't trade for Melo. That's not a thing we need.