Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

Story that went sort of under the radar somewhat. Speaking to beIN Sports, the Al-Jazeera owned sports network, former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson revealed some of the ways Sean Dyche ensures team discipline and cohesion. It's interesting and led to this piece in the Independent. I don't think Dyche would be able to build this kind of team or atmosphere at a big club - both Moyes and Van Gaal's disciplinary styles were criticised at Man Utd - the infamous story of Moyes banning chips springs to mind - and I definitely think Dyche is more likely to be a new Big Sam rather than get the chance at any of the top 6.

58 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Story that went sort of under the radar somewhat. Speaking to beIN Sports, the Al-Jazeera owned sports network, former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson revealed some of the ways Sean Dyche ensures team discipline and cohesion. It's interesting and led to this piece in the Independent. I don't think Dyche would be able to build this kind of team or atmosphere at a big club - both Moyes and Van Gaal's disciplinary styles were criticised at Man Utd - the infamous story of Moyes banning chips springs to mind - and I definitely think Dyche is more likely to be a new Big Sam rather than get the chance at any of the top 6.

Why not? It's pretty common now at the professional level that as a way to introduce themselves to the squad, new signings have to get up and sing a song of their choosing, usually on the bus to an away game.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stokeristmas said:

Short of a final ball, we've been having some lovely play over these first 20 minutes. Encouraging.

...Okay I'm good for encouragement now, thanks. An actual goal would be nice. :shifty: 

1 hour ago, GaChristmaszz said:

Why not? It's pretty common now at the professional level that as a way to introduce themselves to the squad, new signings have to get up and sing a song of their choosing, usually on the bus to an away game.

Because Mo Salah and Mesut Ozil aren't going to be jumping into the Mersey or Thames? Dyche's style of management requires a specific kind of player who will buy into the style of man management and discipline and you could make the point that nationality or culture comes into that. Burnley have four non-British Isles players. Out of those, only Gudmondsson and Defour you could argue aren't of a similar cultural background to the rest of the squad. Chris Woods is a New Zealander and Ashley Barnes is so Austrian he was born in Bath and has never even lived in that country.

Arsenal have 10 players of that background and that's being generous enough to include the likes of Joe Willock and Calum Chambers, who have only played in the Cups. With the premium on British players and the time it would need to build the kind of side Dyche has at Burnley, any foray into top 6 management would be over sooner rather than later, because none of those clubs are going to buy into that kind of vision without instant results.