NBA 2017-2018 Season

Twist

11 hours ago, Meacon said:

On what grounds? If the Warriors have the cap space, what's the difference between Steph, Durant, and LeBron in Golden State than Wade, Bosh, and LeBron in Miami?

Wade was starting on his downturn, Bosh was a great bigman but not a top 5 one by any stretch at the time. It was an insane superteam that worked because they had killer chemistry.

Steph/KD/LeBron is a different level entirely, because all three of them have a fair shot at being called the best player in the league at any given time right now. It would mean that the Warriors would have three of the five best players in the league today. Adding Klay Thompson to the mix who is an all-around superstar in his own right, it would easily dwarf the Miami Heat superteam by multiple stretches.

At the same time, I don't see the NBA blocking a trade if it's a fair one. Although there can certainly be made serious remarks about the competitiveness of the league if such a thing came to pass.

Last time the NBA actively meddled in a trade was blocking Chris Paul from moving to the Lakers, and eventually having him go to the Clippers instead. And the league office got shit on for that, because it was mostly an anti-laker action rather than one out of fair play.

But it wouldn't have to be a trade. It would be LeBron opting out of his current contract and signing a free agent deal with Golden State. If they have the cap space, the NBA can't tell LeBron not to sign with them or the Warriors to not sign him. That would defeat the purpose of 'free' agency.

The Jazz have now won five straight games. Longest winning streak currently in the NBA, I believe. Can't believe we pulled it off tonight after being stuck in Phoenix half the night, and having Mitchell sit out with the flu.

On 2/2/2018 at 09:33, Meacon said:

But it wouldn't have to be a trade. It would be LeBron opting out of his current contract and signing a free agent deal with Golden State. If they have the cap space, the NBA can't tell LeBron not to sign with them or the Warriors to not sign him. That would defeat the purpose of 'free' agency.

It would probably wind up being a sign-and-trade since Warriors would need to clear cap space. They'd be giving up Klay to do anything, and would also have to move a ton of other salary around as well as have Durant take another pay cut.

Basically it won't happen. He'll be a Rocket next year if he knows what's good for him.

And the maybe the league can finally do away with the max contract so we can finally do away with stars taking their services to wherever they want. NBA will never be a super competitive league, basketball isn't that kind of sport. Team sizes are too small, and there's only so many superstars around at any point in time. You'll at best have 5 or 6 legitimate title contenders at the start of any given season, and through its history this has basically always been the case. But it's important they have more fanbases that are teased with the idea they can do it. Doing away with the max salary makes this happen, suddenly guys are taking up 40-50% of the cap and you can't bring in another superstar to play with them.

I'm on board with the crazier notion of him going to Philly.  Heard a great quote from a Jalen & Jacoby guest host that "The only thing worse than losing to Golden State in the NBA Finals is losing to them in the second round."

It will be a great big middle finger to Dan Gilbert if Lebron leaves while Gilbert is still trying to sell the team.

6 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

I'm on board with the crazier notion of him going to Philly.  Heard a great quote from a Jalen & Jacoby guest host that "The only thing worse than losing to Golden State in the NBA Finals is losing to them in the second round."

It will be a great big middle finger to Dan Gilbert if Lebron leaves while Gilbert is still trying to sell the team.

Oh he will do that. I'm excited for it too. Fuck Dan Gilbert.

Kristaps Porzingis torn his ACL tonight. That'll be the third All Star injured, I believe, since the ridterd were announced.

Orlando, the team with the worse record in the NBA, beat Cleveland by 18 tonight. I love it.

2 hours ago, Pooker said:

Kristaps Porzingis torn his ACL tonight. That'll be the third All Star injured, I believe, since the ridterd were announced.

Orlando, the team with the worse record in the NBA, beat Cleveland by 18 tonight. I love it.

4th. Cousins, Wall, Love & now Kristaps. All from Team LeBron.

Since it's another Eastern Conf. guy out, Lou Williams still can't be an All-Star. Hopefully Blake gets chosen, that'll be hilarious.

13 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Isaiah Thomas and Channing Fyre have been traded to the Lakers for Clarkson, Cavs 1st (not the Brooklyn pick) and Nance, Jr.

I actually do like this trade for Cleveland.  Nance and Clarkson can potentially fill the gaps of their injured predecessors while the Lakers get some expiring contracts which can allow them to pay for Lebron next year :shifty: 

So the Cavs just went from Kryie Irving to Jordan Clarkson in less then a year...damn. that's awesome.

Not sure how I will feel if the Jazz make a move today. On one hand, Hood is going to get paid this off season and I don't think he deserves it. And Favors will probably sign elsewhere, so it would suck to lose him for nothing.

But, on the other hand, we've won seven straight games and I wouldn't want to mess with the chemistry and the momentum we've created.