Football Manager 2020

Lineker

18 hours ago, Mad Jack Frost said:

That and goalmouth scrambles with your player doing 15 slide tackles.

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

The "chasing back, stop the ball, but keep on running off the pitch while the attacker just saunters in and reclaims it" special has been a favourite of my defenders at times.

Good lord both of these have been plaguing my Coventry save atm. I do see a lot of 'player overruns ball'  alot and i'm wondering if its to do with the game 'filling in' extended highlights and creating content when there is none. My players do it more than enough on the touchline when on the attack and the highluight ends with the defender hoofing it clear.

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

There's a great deal that I like about lower-league management, but having to replace half your squad every summer is the absolute worst. Especially when you've just been promoted and have the sneaking suspicion that 90% of your remaining players aren't going to be good enough anyway.

Edit: Though I do like nabbing the 'Record Signing' achievement with the massive outlay of £16,000. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Arjen Robben said:

Can't really remember seeing a snow game before. Also, I'm blind now.

Don't be silly that's from Ice-Hockey Manager 2020....

18 hours ago, stokeriño said:

There's a great deal that I like about lower-league management, but having to replace half your squad every summer is the absolute worst. Especially when you've just been promoted and have the sneaking suspicion that 90% of your remaining players aren't going to be good enough anyway.

Edit: Though I do like nabbing the 'Record Signing' achievement with the massive outlay of £16,000. :lol: 

having to replace the squad is one of the things that I really enjoy in LL management and that fact that you can do it ALOT easier than higher up the league.

I'm in January with Cov (chasing 1st place with 2 games to spare) and i desperately need to get rid of players and bring in better performers. But..no one is interested in signing the folks i need to get rid of and their 'termination fees' aren't worth it. Worse is knowing that come July...I still wont be able to get rid.

Yeah I got hit with the whole squad replacement thing in my brief foray in 19 when it was on game pass. That's what made me a bit wary ahead of the end of season on this Alfreton game I have on 20. I've got one or two signed up for another year but I feel like I wasn't able to recruit anyone good in the 19 game and ended up panic re-signing some of the squad guys I already had.

One of my star guys here is willing to sign (albeit at a big jump in pay) but I hadn't factored in not being able to shift all my chaff so I'm considerably over budget. I get that I have to let them all go on frees since we're all in the same no budget boat down here but they all just refuse to even talk to the other teams pretty much. I get the 'talk into joining' option on all of them but they all say they're going to turn the move down even if I accept the bid. Might have to take the hit on releasing them to try and claw back some budget since my board aren't playing ball. All the compensation pay probably won't help.

My main irritation with replacing half the squad in lower leagues is impatience, really. It takes time to scout players and I just want to get on with it. :shifty:

But I've started the new season in the Vanarama National with 'only' eight signings, a predicted finish of 23rd and promotion odds of 1000-1...and I've got 10 points from the first four games. One goal conceded.

I feel this is getting ridiculous now. I can only presume that the following formation is somehow kryptonite to non-league opposition.

fm09.png

11 hours ago, stokeriño said:

My main irritation with replacing half the squad in lower leagues is impatience, really. It takes time to scout players and I just want to get on with it. :shifty:

But I've started the new season in the Vanarama National with 'only' eight signings, a predicted finish of 23rd and promotion odds of 1000-1...and I've got 10 points from the first four games. One goal conceded.

I feel this is getting ridiculous now. I can only presume that the following formation is somehow kryptonite to non-league opposition.

fm09.png

I haven’t used another formation in FM since 2009

3 minutes ago, metalman said:

I haven’t used another formation in FM since 2009

From the looks of my game, the AI favours 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 at this level. I have seen a couple of 4-2-3-1s about...but the 'classic 4-3-3' as I call it ('4-1-2-3 DM Wide' is a stupid name, FM) seems strangely absent.

Does anyone else find that the game has a tendency to draw you to face a team in the FA Cup or Carabao Cup that you then have to face immediately again in the league within a few days, or really close together? I'm in season 3 and in season 1 I played Watford two games in a row, Everton twice with a game in between. Season 2 I didn't have any but this season I had Man Utd two games in a row, Man City two games in a row, and Southampton two games in a row. Had it happen a lot in other games, too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

From the looks of my game, the AI favours 5-3-2 and 4-4-2 at this level. I have seen a couple of 4-2-3-1s about...but the 'classic 4-3-3' as I call it ('4-1-2-3 DM Wide' is a stupid name, FM) seems strangely absent.

I’ve not actually played FM 2020 yet (I set parental controls on Steam and arranged for an email with the code to be sent to me the day after I submit my thesis :shifty:) but I didn’t see it too much in other games. I basically used it because it tends to be reasonably successful and I can’t really be bothered tinkering around with tactics. It basically means that I’ve never had any place for AMCs and as a result have missed out on some of the best players in the world or played them woefully out of position...

37 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

Does anyone else find that the game has a tendency to draw you to face a team in the FA Cup or Carabao Cup that you then have to face immediately again in the league within a few days, or really close together?

Pretty sure this has been a common FM trope for years. Not that I'm aware of any logic to it.