Football Manager 2019

Gazz

Started season 3 with Cov.

Won the 1st game of the season 2-0, Drew the 2nd 2-2...Lost the 3rd 3-2. wait a second...there's a pattern here.

Also Port Vale (mid table league two atm) in the 1st Round of the Carabao cup...played a fairly strong team...(Its the first team but this time with the subs starting :-O)...barely scrapped through on penalises....

For a team that scored 6 goals in 3 games...I had 6 shots on goal (5 on target) too their 18 (10 on target)..I say again..fuk this game!

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

Got Halesowen into the third round of the FA Cup. Drew Arsenal at home.

Kerching.

Lost 3-1 and only made £55k. Went from National League to Championship when I got the Blackburn job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Convinced this game wants me to smash up my computer. Play ANY team in the league whose placed in a simliar position or above and i smash em.

Play ANY team near the bottom of the league or in ANY lower league...and I get dominated...like 60-40 possession and 20-5 shots.... I'd love to know the fuk i'm doing wrong.

Bottom placed Birmingham, playing Cov (6th in the league after 10 games) and i just got routed 6-2....having been leading 2-0 at half time..

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

The problem is you try and walk it in...

(Also teams are parking the bus, and tossing long balls over your defense which is playing too high up giving them prime opportunities on the break)

But honestly, it can be anything. Smaller teams can be infuriating to play against because they'll just abuse the long ball in ways that your own teams can barely fathom.

I just finished my fourth season with de Graafschap, and it's been a very wild ride.

First season, pegged for relegation, and through a struggle of a season with little money, lots of loans, and a few freebies here and there we manage to claw a 14th place for safety. We get a nice chunk of dosh, but because I am insane I told my board to spend it all on new facilities. With what we had left, I signed back a midfielder (Gregor Breinburg) for a massive 1.8M to make him my rock in midfield (which he still is after four years, including being the team captain!)

But for the second season, we got more cheapies and freebies just to get some solid reinforcements to bolster up our back line. Our front line was actually pretty good to start with, at least for a team of our level. We start hot, but in usual FM fashion we utterly faceplant, drop down the table and crawl home another 14th place for safety. Yet again, the money made from prize money is immediately sent to improve facilities, in the knowledge that it might probably help down the line. The youth academy also churning out good talent, but none that will bring in the big bucks, just yet. 

So, season 3 rolls around, and the market is poor for us. Not a lot of money to spend, but even less wage budget to operate in (despite being in the bottom 3 of wages every season thus far). I sign a hossy winger kid from Sparta, but he won't set the world alight ahead of my own youth winger. I also buy the goalie that I had been loaning off of PSV (Hidde Jurjus) for a small amount of cash, officially bringing him back to the team that he debuted for in 2014, he's been brilliant, so he deserves being my #1 choice for a long time.

Also, I loan some bloke named 'Will Grigg' from Sunderland. Mostly for the memes, but he became the lynchpin of the team by scoring 11 goals in 25 games and Will-ing the team to an amazing 9th place finish against all odds! More money, get! Of course, the board decides to expand the stadium to its fullest capacity, and upgrade facilities once more, so there's nothing to go around.

But I scrounge up the money we do have, and one of my winger youths get bought by Monaco for a cool 10 million (with a loan back clause!), so hey, we're in the green again! I sign Carel Eiting from Ajax for 1.3M, there to give me a young and creative defensive midfielder to solidify my midfield. I sign Dylan Vente for 875K from Feyenoord to replace Will Grigg who I couldn't get back. And I sign Felix Gotze for a pathetic 275K, the brother of Mario, who immediately becomes my best defender from the get go.

Vente the striker, utterly brilliant, ends the campaign with 23 goals in 38 games, 17 of them in the league. Eiting, a beast of a playmaker who exalts my team to a new level of passing dominance. Götze, an unbreakable man in the back four that keeps the team in games.

A new tactic of my own design, a 4-3-3 DM Wide built around Vertical Tiki-Taka, some sort of abomination combining pass heavy action with the classic hoof up field.

I went for a mid table finish, I started the season very strong, the usual over-performing until the AI reacts to my shenanigans and kicks me down the table.

3fad6d871ec053faa1b79e180bc3ef26.png

Except the kick never came, and only on the very last day of the season do we go from champion to ending third (losing 2-1 to PSV in the final game.) For the first time in history, Graafschap finishes higher than 8th, and not just that, we finish in the top 3, and get a Champions League ticket! :w00t::w00t:

And to top everything off...

91b358835e7c2ddf61b2e12d705ed499.png

We reach the cup finals for the first time in history, and beat Roda JC to win the clubs very first silverware!

Four seasons, and we went from crawling into 14th to survive to challenging for the title and getting champions league success. And of course that doesn't make me favoured personell because why should it, right? :D

We rake in a shitload of prize money, and even with facility upgrades I have been given 5 million to play around with, which is about 2 million more than I had in all four previous seasons combined. And now I need to supplement this plucky team of average but hard working players to have a solid go at the Champions League...

Oh... And this.

1913017d27d3c39870ed31dfbfb057a5.png

:unsure:

The curse of success is starting. To make the jump to another blue-white squad with a lot more money that haven't had success in 27 years... Or to stick around for a fifth season, and try to take another swing at the old boys of the Eredivisie and shatter their hegemony... Decisions decisions... And it's not going to be easy beating Ajax and PSV who can spend triple my transfer budget on a single player and have money left to burn...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Baddar said:

You have to have a crack at the CL with Graafschap now.

Yeah, I did a few interviews with a few clubs just to humour them. And the board came to me wanting to talk about me staying, so I managed to wring 200K/m extra wage budget and 1M extra transfer budget out of them for my continued loyalty.

So my Coventry team...after having a drubbing (6-2 against bottom placed Birmingham)have now gone on a 9 game undefeated streak with 7 wins, 2 draws and find ourselves bouncing between 2nd and 3rd in the League.

A 1-0 loss to 1st Placed Leeds was avenged a week later with a 4-1 victory against then 1st placed Barnsley..i'm enjoying the ride while I can as I know itsjust a matter of waiting for WHEN its going to collapse rather than if.

I know i'm not going to stay at Coventry long term. I've already been offered an interview for the Rangers, Sunderland & Everton Jobs (between the end of last season and the Summer - side note: Gerrard is now the Villa manager), so i know that I've done well enough as a manager to gain some traction with prospective employers. My main reason is the finances, short of a takeover I don't know how I can get them out of the mess they are in. They constantly reject coach training courses, refuse to get affiliates or expand facilities and I can only really maintain the form of the team with free transfers, without picking up some AMAZING and CHEAP talent there is no way to don't go into the prem and immediately get relegated. 

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

Well, I stayed with de Graafschap through the summer break and I signed (and sold) a bunch of players that will hopefully get me over the hump.

To my dissapointment my goalie left to Boro, and the fans were livid about it. He got a shock call-up for the world cup as backup goalie, and got two caps in the build up, so foreign clubs were suddenly knocking and I didn't want to stop him from making bank. I got a tidy 6M for him, though. It has forced me to expedite calling up my super talented youth goalie, just a shame he's a goddamn lunatic on the pitch!

One of my main defenders also left to Hertha BSC, 12.5M(15.5M) for Liam van Gelderen who was my starting center back for three seasons, and whom I had paid only 96K for to buy from Ajax.

So with a lot of money in hand, I broke the bank for a striker prospect who looks to be a future star, and I know it's a matter of time before I am unable to retain my current star striker when bigger teams come knocking. Signed a young midfielder that will hopefully bring more stability and depth to our midfield. A young left back that seems to have the world at his feet.

And a bunch of free agents that will make the team a lot deeper... And a Norwegian on loan to bolster the back line greatly... Here's the team thus far...

And survey says...

9a6cf96acd6e28b008bc38109b59d4a6.png

Galatasaray, Spartak Moscow? No sweat off my brow...

6282eb2f2f134ec2231e94517b761bca.png

tumblr_p2r2c9gGzs1r7dh6wo1_250.gif

But these guys on the other hand...

01032bbfe8155279578b5a13d7e79549.png

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

At this point you guys might be wondering "how does this dick pull all that off?!", well, I don't know myself honestly. Ever since I made this monstrosity in the tactic designer everything has been coming up Millhouse.

734da9affa3d447cb092ac11c4e570b7.png

No individual instructions either, just all those team instructions and depending on the game (away/home, favourite/underdog) I mess with the mentality between cautious/balanced/positive, and rarely on attacking/very attacking if I REALLY need a goal. Even in games that i'm winning and I need to protect a lead, I avoid (very-)defensive because it allows teams to hold the ball too much. You're better off lowering tempo and maxing out time wasting on cautious at that point.

Also currently experimenting with the BBM being a Mez(Su) to have two Mezzala's. It won me a 3-1 against Twente and a 2-0 against Spartak, so it's p. good? Although it leaves you exposed to the long ball.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2019 at 12:31, 9 to 5 said:

Keeping my eye on you.

Couldn't score for toffee. Beat Wolves 5-3 in the FA Cup, won five league games on the bounce to move up to 7th, just knocked Liverpool out 5-4 on pens after a 4-4 draw at Anfield. Darragh Lenihan and Adam Armstrong are still knocking about here.

• Like 1

Is it wrong to want to cry because Football Manager is bullying you? Like legitimately I cannot buy a good performance against ANY team lower in the league than me. I know i mentioned it before, but i'm consistently losing against the bottom 5 teams and they are HAMMERING goals in...like 5-0- 6-1 and 7-0.....I was sixth in the league....like fuk off game that's NOT REALISTIC AT ALL. each game I dropped players into defence and it was like the opposition...was Barcelona...every time...

I played 7th placed Everton (prem) and beat them 3-1....underpresuure loads but got the victory...then lost the next three games by a combined 18 goals....

😭

I think I also find it frustrating how often teams will score 2-3 goals in the space of 1 minute against me...like my entire team jsut decides...pass the ball to the opposition at kickoff and then stand still..woo...football

Edited by SquareRootOfSi

5 hours ago, Baddar said:

Are you too attack minded against the "smaller" sides you're expecting to beat, meaning you're exposed at the back? 

See, that's what I thought was happening but in the 3 games I repeatedly changed to formations where I kept more players back and I've even retrained two of my centre-backs to stay back at all times. Still constantly out numbered at the back...especially when one of the players retrained to stay back at all times (and to sit on the halfway line at corners....) still is out of position.

My 'winning' formation is  4-2-3-1 (wingbacks), its attack minded and works 8/10 times against higher placed opposition, when i noticed it wasn't working against the teams lower down the table and i was getting overrun, I changed to 5-2-2-1 (wingbacks) playing balanced...still didn't appear to make a lick of difference. 2nd half of almost every game, sometimes regardless of formation, we turn into a sunday league team. To the point that some of my TOP performers are just (and i mean this literally) just passing the ball to opposition players. Like, not into space and the opposition just intercept, hitting directly to the opponent when NONE of my players are nearby.

Season 5 finished, I crashed and burned in the CL Group Stages because Napoli/Leverkusen/R. Madrid were just too much for me, I manage to drag Napoli to two draws, but the other ones just owned me from start to finish.

Sadly didn't manage to make a run for the title, struggled a bit and got a 4th place in the end, which is good, but kinda dissapointing...
I did manage to repeat the cup and manager of the year honours, so there's that! And I made the club a lot of money in the process, so everything is awesome. Next season, sadly, Europa League Group Stages instead of Champions League, but it is what it is...

But now the big teams have finally started pushing their interest...

6cd35904b221128d02185eb18b20388a.png

200.gif

EDIT: I said no

Edited by Jasonmufc