Football Manager 2019

Gazz

9 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

After two years of being clean, I got hooked again last week.

I don't remember how long it's been for me (certainly some number of years)...but I, too, got into a new game a few days ago. Random coincidence.

FM12, Career game (unemployed/sunday league reputation start), British and Irish leagues active.

Ended up joining Dover Athletic in the Blue Square South sometime around October. Basically trying to finish the season without getting relegated.

I am fucking awful. I mean, so is my team, obviously...but yeah. Rusty as all hell and making it up as I go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

After two years of being clean, I got hooked again last week.

Currently trying to stay up with (local pride!) the Graafschap, had an awesome pre season, 6 wins and one draw, including some blowouts against Lokeren and Legia Gdansk 

The season so far has been a mixed bag, seven games and sitting in 12th place, so we're playing above our station. My striker also shockingly leads the league in goals, with five of them thus far.

But I'm not content with my tactic just yet, I made a 4231AM with the cautious direct (?) counter attack preset.

Scoring is a bit trickier in the actual season, since more teams leave their full backs deep making it harder to launch it upfield and get flick ons to my wingers.

Also, most concerning is that my goalie is getting battered with shots, 50% of them from deep, but still between 20-30 shots per game for the other side.

Meanwhile my team is struggling getting above 10 lately.

On one hand I shouldn't mess with a working system, but on the other I feel it's a matter of time before those opposing shooters are going to hit the back of the net with more regularity.

Suggestions are welcome.

Also, I can't get team cohesion up at all, even with everyone on my team speaking the language, being part of a clique, everyone respecting my blesser rule, and results being above expectations.

Check your opponents chacne quality in those games where they get that many shots - if there's a lot of clear cut/half chances then you should try and change some things, otherwise you're good.

• Like 1

I've missed the fun of playing Rushden & Diamonds. "You're in the 3rd Division but have £6 million. Go on, have a laugh."

Slowly piecing together the skeleton of a squad. Transfers so far include:

* Steve Harper (£1.8 million from Newcastle)
* J'Loyd Samuel (£350k from Aston Villa)
* Warren Barton (£700k from Newcastle)
* Micah Hyde (£525k from Watford)
* Robbie Blake (£1.8 million from Bradford)

Plus £750k clawed back from selling two other players.

Disappointed to go out to West Ham in the League Cup 2nd Round. Some 18-year-old kid named Defoe popped up to score the 3-2 winner.

Started playing this monster of a game last month and after a few unintended long nights i'm just past the 2020 January transfer window. What a journey so far....one filled with SO much anger towards my players!

Took over a Coventry boss on the basis that...newly promoted and solid team but horrible finances would give me a bit of a challenge. Wildly inconsistent 1st season miraculously saw us win league one on the last day of the season, thanks to Brentford losing to the team placed 15th...woo! Started out low mid table until the last 2-3 months where we couldn't help but win almost every game. Okay..solid..fun..i'll take it.

1st Season in championship and the board refuses to give me transfer funds or hand me any additional cash for wages. Bit of a problem as I've signed my 'star' players to longer contracts and gave them a bump in wages. No problem i'll send a few players out on loans where the loan club can cover the salary (3 first team members went out on this to help me cut wages) and i'll sell the players i can afford to lose. 1st player sold...EVERYBODY GOES NUTS! vice captain demands to speak to me..with the WHOLE squad behind him saying we lack depth. Alright dick calm down...i'll sort it out..bring in a few backup/possible first team players. 

Another wildly inconsistent start of the season where we lose 3, win 1 and draw 1 in the first 5 games...oh dear...relegation battle...6 months later....10th in the league.the squad just seems to go through periods of 2-3 loses in a row...before continually beating teams we shouldn't be (victories over 1st-5th in those 6 months). January has been super inconsistant with loses and wins, very few draws so I've been trying to reinforce the squad. Sold one of my best players Abu Ogogo for £2.5m and the players lose there collective shit again....

Coupled with the fact my players constantly complain about training...i'm just convinced there just a bunch of miserable moody f*ckers

Edited by SquareRootOfSi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SquareRootOfSi said:

Started playing this monster of a game last month and after a few unintended long nights i'm just past the 2020 January transfer window. What a journey so far....one filled with SO much anger towards my players!

Took over a Coventry boss on the basis that...newly promoted and solid team but horrible finances would give me a bit of a challenge. Wildly inconsistent 1st season miraculously saw us win league one on the last day of the season, thanks to Brentford losing to the team placed 15th...woo! Started out low mid table until the last 2-3 months where we couldn't help but win almost every game. Okay..solid..fun..i'll take it.

1st Season in championship and the board refuses to give me transfer funds or hand me any additional cash for wages. Bit of a problem as I've signed my 'star' players to longer contracts and gave them a bump in wages. No problem i'll send a few players out on loans where the loan club can cover the salary (3 first team members went out on this to help me cut wages) and i'll sell the players i can afford to lose. 1st player sold...EVERYBODY GOES NUTS! vice captain demands to speak to me..with the WHOLE squad behind him saying we lack depth. Alright dick calm down...i'll sort it out..bring in a few backup/possible first team players. 

Another wildly inconsistent start of the season where we lose 3, win 1 and draw 1 in the first 5 games...oh dear...relegation battle...6 months later....10th in the league.the squad just seems to go through periods of 2-3 loses in a row...before continually beating teams we should be (victories over 1st-5th in those 6 months). January has been super inconsistant with loses and wins, very few draws so I've been trying to reinforce the squad. Sold one of my best players Abu Ogogo for £2.5m and the players lose there collective shit again....

Coupled with the fact my players constantly complain about training...i'm just convinced there just a bunch of miserable moody f*ckers

Cov's a real mess with the owners. Are they looking to sell etc?

1 hour ago, Cymbols said:

Cov's a real mess with the owners. Are they looking to sell etc?

Got a new chairman at the start of the season but nothing on a new owner yet I think.

The Ogogo transfer netted me around 750k in the transfer pot (tight gits) which I immediately pumped into increasing the wage bill cap. Shocked the shit out of me when we were 24th in the league for total salary (around £98k) with 23rd on something like £150k. 1st placed team was operating on like £600k.

Every time I've asked for funds for something they refuse on financial grounds, which is frustrating because I've not been damaging the finances with expenses wild expenses...sure i've paid for the odd language course...but that's been it. They just don't wanna hand anything out. I ASSUME that i'll need a new owner before that changes?

You can't see their 'personality' outside of the editor right?

4 hours ago, SquareRootOfSi said:

1st player sold...EVERYBODY GOES NUTS! vice captain demands to speak to me..with the WHOLE squad behind him saying we lack depth. Alright dick calm down...i'll sort it out..bring in a few backup/possible first team players. 

If you go back a number of pages you'll see a similar thing happened to me. I was not pleased.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, MDK said:

If you go back a number of pages you'll see a similar thing happened to me. I was not pleased.

the frustrating thing is...a good number of the players now have 'spt' boxes next to them in the team screen...all with the same comment. 'Unhappy how I treated Jordan Willis' (the vice captain who complained. Which i don't understand because literally everyone walked out of the room happier at the end and I reassured everyone I was looking into the squad depth....Jordan even has a 'pleased squad depth has been addressed' on his player profile....

Stupid game.

Got Halesowen into the third round of the FA Cup. Drew Arsenal at home.

Kerching.