2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

The Onion, but still lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• Admin

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott will meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York on Tuesday regarding an incident in Las Vegas in May, according to a source.

Elliott was briefly detained but not arrested after a security guard fell to the ground after being bumped by the running back. Elliott was seen on video having an argument with his girlfriend when he turned his attention to the security guard.

Elliott is subject to a fine or suspension under the league's personal conduct policy, which does not require an arrest or conviction for a player to be penalized. Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said during the offseason he did not believe Elliott would face any sanctions from the NFL.

"I think that the main thing is that I don't see anything that needs supporting,"� Jones said in May. "In terms of his status with us, [it] has not been impacted in any way. And frankly, I know how conscientious he has been in the offseason, and that's good enough. No, I don't see that having any consequences for us."�

Elliott was suspended for six games by the commissioner in 2017 for violating the personal conduct policy. He had been accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend in Columbus, Ohio, in 2016. Elliott was not arrested or charged by the police, but the league believed it had enough evidence for the punishment despite the lead investigator recommending no penalty. Elliott fought the case through the legal system before eventually relenting and serving the suspension.

The Cowboys picked up the 2020 option on Elliott's contract at a cost of $9.09 million earlier in the offseason. They have expressed a desire to work on a long-term extension but talks have not developed. The Cowboys have been in discussions with Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper on long-term deals and have hopes of having something worked out by the opening week of the season if not training camp.

In May, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Las Vegas incident would not affect the negotiations with Elliott's agent.

An online video shows Browns running back Kareem Hunt being questioned by police after an apparent incident Saturday night at a Cleveland bar.

The video, published Monday by TMZ Sports, shows Hunt speaking with multiple officers. Hunt was not arrested and officers did not make a police report about the incident, a police spokesperson told Cleveland.com.

The incident took place outside the Barley House in downtown Cleveland. The owner of the bar, Bobby George, told Cleveland.com that Hunt got into a minor altercation with one of his friends.

Hunt is already suspended for the first eight games of this upcoming season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The NFL declined comment about Saturday's incident.

Two sources with the Browns told ESPN's Josina Anderson that the team was not concerned at this time, saying based on what they had read, it didn't seem like a big deal, especially since Hunt was not arrested.

Another source characterized the incident to ESPN as "just an argument."

The suspension stems from a February 2018 incident in which he shoved and kicked a woman during an early-morning altercation outside his downtown Cleveland residence, and an incident in June 2018 that involved a physical altercation with other men at Put-in-Bay, Ohio.

Release of the video from the February incident, and the fact that Hunt had lied about it, prompted the Kansas City Chiefs to release him on Nov. 30. The NFL investigated a third incident in Kansas City, but said there would be no discipline from that.

Raiders unveil new logo to commemorate 60th season

8 hours ago, Pooker said:

So Zeke and Hunt are both going to be suspended for the season, aren't they?

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/verify/verify-was-cleveland-browns-rb-kareem-hunt-in-a-bar-fight-during-the-weekend/95-e5b0d3aa-4868-415e-8206-6aaa2baecf16

To verify, we turned to Cleveland police spokeswoman Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia and Bobby George, owner of Barley House, where some “Twitterati” believed the incident took place.

Ciaccia said “negative,” and was unable to track down a police report for the alleged incident.

George confirmed he saw Hunt at the Barley House on Saturday night, also noting that something did happen.

“I believe it was a small argument with one of his friends,” he said. “People blew it out of proportion.”

Former Kentucky Wildcat and Giants backup QB Jared Lorenzen has passed away at 38.

He'd always struggled with his weight but embraced his "Hefty Lefty" nickname, flirting with the 300 lb mark which saw him routinely draw fines from Tom Coughlin.  Unfortunately though his weight continued to skyrocket as he was weighing nearly 400 lbs playing QB in an Indoor league, and a couple of years ago he was nearly 600 lbs.

What's gutting though is a year or so ago I'd heard he actually started making progress, eating clean, exercising, and dropping over 100 lbs in a year.  This seems to be a case where the damage was unfortunately already done. 

• Sad 3

Didn't see it was already posted

Ehhh....I don't really care for NFL.com's lists. Their top 25 QBs of all time list is messed up. For instance, Troy Aikman is ranked too high at 14. And Jim Kelly, ranked 21, shouldn't even make the list. Terry Bradshaw being ranked 17th is absolutely laughable. I'd rank him above Aikman, and I'm a Cowboys fan who can't stand the Steelers.

I'm actually shocked that they didn't try to shoehorn Joe Namath onto that Top 25 list as they normally do with all of their top lists.

TD:  173
INT:  220
Completion Percentage:  50.1%

His entire legacy is built off of his guarantee to win Super Bowl III, for which he was awarded MVP despite not really doing much.  Look at the stats from that game and tell me he deserved it over Matt Snell.  Nope.

Historians point to that game as a big reason the merger happened, and between that and Joe's larger than life personality, that's the reason he gets endless praise from the league.  To his credit, it was a different game back then so the subpar stats aren't anywhere near as backbreaking as they'd be nowadays.  But given how stat heavy sports fans are nowadays, it'd be easy to look at his numbers and think he might be the worst player in the Hall of Fame.

16 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Ehhh....I don't really care for NFL.com's lists. Their top 25 QBs of all time list is messed up. For instance, Troy Aikman is ranked too high at 14. And Jim Kelly, ranked 21, shouldn't even make the list. Terry Bradshaw being ranked 17th is absolutely laughable. I'd rank him above Aikman, and I'm a Cowboys fan who can't stand the Steelers.

The fact you think Jim Kelly is worse than Terry Bradshaw is absolutely laughable. I swear to god the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers have the most overrated offensive players of all time, with Bradshaw and Swann being the best examples.

@Trent BuschettaBuschetta there's more to Namath than SB3. He threw for 4000 yards like a decade before Marino, and was considered one of the top passing QBs of his day. His int numbers aren't good even for his day, but they aren't as bad as they look now. He also didn't have knees.