2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

47 minutes ago, livid said:

In more important news, the 49ers and Robbie Gould have agreed on a 4 year deal! :wub:

Only a two year guarantee deal, with an option to extend it another 2 years. First two years are 10.5 million for both, if we pick up the option, it would be 15 million guaranteed.

Seems a bit over kill for a 35 year old kicker.

He's one of the best kickers in the league and got paid as such. If he ends up playing out the contract he plays for a fraction less than the franchise tag was this year.

It's incredibly hard to find consistent kickers and they found the most consistent one the past 2 seasons. Lock him up because 35 is young for a kicker anyways. 

Edited by livid
  • Like 2

Jadeveon Clowney will play 2019 under the franchise tag as he was the lone tagged player to not reach a long-term contract with his team.

Furthermore, the NFLPA is expected to file a grievance on Clowney's behalf as the Texans have him listed as a "DE/LB" and as such they are trying to pay the LB franchise tag amount which is $1.7 million lower than the DE amount.

On 15/07/2019 at 12:02, Meacon said:

People are going to shit bricks if they’re paying hundreds of dollars for regular season and seeing the back up quarterback throwing four interceptions instead of the quarterback who’s salary takes up 40% of the salary cap. 16 out of 18 is stupid. Either keep it sixteen games like it should be, or the league should come right out, admit they don’t give two shits about the players health, and have them play all eighteen.

That's the same situation as when teams intentionally tank. 

I never bought into the idea of intentional tanking in the NFL or really any sport.  A crap team is a crap team and the records will reflect that.  And in a scenario where teams have to bench everybody, you'd get just that:  a crap team.  

Front offices might well feel that losing is better, but the players themselves aren't going out there thinking "we'd better throw this game to get a better draft pick".  Any athlete, professional or otherwise who goes into a game hoping to lose should stop playing the sport.

• Like 1

Going back to the Clowney thing - DEs and LBs having separate franchise tag amounts made sense at one point but nowadays the lines are blurred between those positions more than any in the sport.  A DE in a 4-3 could very well be an OLB in a 3-4, and teams are changing their schemes all the time.

Having LB as a lone designation means you have your pass-rushing OLBs being worth the same as run-stuffing MLBs.  The league could try to more clearly separate those two positions.  But really they should probably start adapting PFF's categories for the front seven on defense:  you have interior linemen, off-ball linebackers, and edge rushers.  That's the most realistic way to assess what the player is actually meant to be doing.

Did he ever actually get found guilty of any of these things?

The audio transcript didn't ever really seem that damning to me - idc about the football side of it, but judging from that transcript, she never really says he hit her or hurt his son - maybe it's just her phrasing or I missed something, but it's not like we have the Ray Rice Uppercut video that makes it explicitly clear what happened.

Zeke got suspended with fabricated evidence, no charges and the NFL’s own investigator saying they do not recommend a suspension, so don’t tell me we need clear and obvious evidence to suspend.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

Zeke got suspended with fabricated evidence, no charges and the NFL’s own investigator saying they do not recommend a suspension, so don’t tell me we need clear and obvious evidence to suspend.

Pictured: the NFL's method for deciding on suspensions

cA5lHQt.jpg

• Like 3

Former NY Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus dies of heatstroke

He was a Razorback and most recently employed as a sports analyst at a local TV station here. Heatstroke at 32. Scary stuff.

• Sad 1

On 19/07/2019 at 13:38, Maxx said:

Goodell is an arbitrary motherfucker. That's it, pure and simple.

Ed Reed''s suspension for the helmet to helmet hit with Emmanuel Sanders was bullshit. Mike & Mike even called out Goodell's lackey who was trying to explain the reasoning for it, which didn't wash. (The hit being helmet to helmet was Sanders' fault, not Reed's). Ndomukong Suh would be out of the league by now if not Goodell's `clean slate' decision. And frankly I think Zeke's suspension should have led to a lawsuit. Kareem Hunt not being suspended is bullshit when there's evidence against him. Goodell can eat shit and die for all I care, and so can the owners who voted for renewing the bastard's contract.

5 hours ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

Former NY Giants offensive lineman Mitch Petrus dies of heatstroke

He was a Razorback and most recently employed as a sports analyst at a local TV station here. Heatstroke at 32. Scary stuff.

Awful.  :(  Way, way too young.  Bad couple of weeks for ex-Giants Super Bowl champions.  I remember him as mostly a backup lineman for a few years, but I saw a ton of outpouring from Arkansas fans about how great he was on the field for the Razorbacks.  It's easy to forget that anyone good enough to play on Sundays, no matter how late they were drafted or how brief their NFL career was, was almost certainly one of the best players on their team in college.

The 'best' part of the Hill situation is how it shows Chiefs fans real colors. Go check out their subreddit if, unlike my AFCW brethren and I (hi, @Meacon), you needed a reason to hate 'the best fanbase in football'. 

The level of salt that will fill Arrowhead when they lose to the Patriots and fail, once again, to win even the Lamar Hunt Trophy (even the Chargers have one!) will turn Kansas City into a modern day Carthage.

Also Mahomes sounds like Kermit the Frog.

I’ve seen several Pats fans saying stuff like “Hill only isn’t being suspended because the league wants to make sure we have competition in the AFC!”

I swear they insist that everything is a leaguewide conspiracy against them because it’s the only storyline that keeps them interested after two decades of dominance.