Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

15 minutes ago, Colly said:

Modern football sucks.

Europa League is objectively a shitty competition to be fair.

5 qualifying rounds, 48 teams in a 6 game group stage. This leads to a round of 32 where 8 Champions League rejects join. 4 rounds of two legged ties follow before the final. It's needlessly long and grueling. It's going to be even worse when they add the 3rd tier UEFA LDV Vans Trophy in a few years. 

Bring back the UEFA Cup and/or Cup Winners Cup!

• Like 2

It is, but I still find the idea of football fans going "ugh, lesser Europe" horrible. I've watched Newcastle do Champions League, UEFA Cup, Inter ruddy Toto, it's still good to play different teams in different places.

• Like 4

Europa League could be really great but they've bloated the tournament with unnecessary 5th or 6th best teams from the major domestic leagues. I'd be much more intrigued if that and the Champions League rejects were left out. The quality of play might drop but it'd be a lot more exciting to watch Gent and Basel do battle for the highest trophy they can realistically attain than Chelsea's B squad march through and crush everyone.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Colly said:

It is, but I still find the idea of football fans going "ugh, lesser Europe" horrible. I've watched Newcastle do Champions League, UEFA Cup, Inter ruddy Toto, it's still good to play different teams in different places.

I'd be fine with it if it didn't have such a detrimental knock-on effect on the rest of your domestic season. Much rather take the hit of nothing for a year to properly re-double efforts to get into the Champions League for the following season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colly said:

Would have been amazing to see that ruled out for that ridiculous dive.

That was my first thought too. Fair play to Antonio for getting back up and into a goalscoring position after a pretty good back bump though.

Europa League will be fine for us next season when our backup team contains Sancho et al. :shifty:

5 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I'd be fine with it if it didn't have such a detrimental knock-on effect on the rest of your domestic season. Much rather take the hit of nothing for a year to properly re-double efforts to get into the Champions League for the following season.

You say that as if you don't have a League Cup lineup who'd play every game up to the later knockouts. Even we managed that and we'd not long been promoted.

19 minutes ago, Naitch said:

With enough time left to grab a winner too. I think Willian could still have a role to play next season. Definitely wouldn't let him go to another PL team.

This aged well 

More proof that changes are needed at the back imo. None of the back four nor Kepa had a good game. I dont think I've ever seen Alonso play well, as a defender, and Kepa just makes too many mistakes for his rare strong performances to actually matter.

It seemed like Pulisic, Mount, and sometimes RLC were the only players actually putting effort in.