NFL 2020

Lineker

I don't know about that one. Bortles was one of those guys you kept thinking, like Joe Flacco, would turn it on because he had some real flashes of brilliance.

More telling is that from 2012-17 the Jagos had 6 straight top 5 picks and none of them are still with the team. And not all of them were busts either. They were and are a horribly mismanaged team and it feels like as long as they're owned by the Khans it's going to stay that way.

3 hours ago, JMarushin said:

Trubisky is worse, due to the Bears trading up for an unknown quantity that has turned out to be crap. Fournette was a solid enough pick (he isn't a bad player) and the QB situation at the time made sense. Bortles had moments of brilliance that showed he might be able to get it done. Trubisky hasn't shown an iota of Bortles level. 

3 minutes ago, DMN said:

The biggest issue with drafting Fournette that high is that you can get similar production for much less draft capital and money. That's true for most backs, not a personal indictment.

Oh 100% true. Outside of CMac, Saquon, and Zeke I can't think of a top 10 RB who is good enough to justify it. All 3 of them are, to steal a baseball analogy, 5 tool players. But Fournette never was that, he's a workhorse RB and you can get that much lower in the draft for a lot less.

It's why I was completely against taking Saquon at #2 overall.  Great player for sure, but unless you're so absurdly good that you can carry an offense on your own (a near impossibility for RBs in today's NFL) it's just a difficult risk to justify.

Of course, if they weren't taking Saquon they were taking Darnold and neither Darnold nor Daniel Jones have played enough to know if the Giants would've been better off with one or the other.

For what it's worth, and I know he was out for some of the year, the Giants offense last year was statistically significantly better than the Jets. By almost an entire adjusted yard per play. So Giants might have really lucked out not taking Darnold.

Plus Francesa anointed Darnold and hated Jones, which is usually a good sign for Jones and a terrible one for Darnold.

• Haha 1

Jones and Darnold kind of have opposite problems. One sees ghosts, the other one can't feel pressure for shit. If either one can overcome that, they'll be fine. Darnold als0 has to overcome Gase.

I'm not sure any of Barkley, Elliot, or CMC was worth that high a pick, when was the last team lead by a back to win a SB? You also have to pay them like they're proven when they weren't. Great players, not worth what they deserve in the modern NFL.

1 hour ago, LL. said:

The rebuild around Minshew is very real and will bring so much success to the Jags. MINSHEWMANIA WILL RISE AT THE 2023 SUPER BOWL

No one is going to have any kind of Mania when they're on their second team and holding a clipboard.

The easy hindsight thing for the Giants to do in 2018 would've been to try to trade out of #2, move down a few spots and take a generational guard in Quenton Nelson instead.  But I can't really fault Gettleman for not doing that despite his love of hog mollies.  Passing on the consensus best player of the draft or a potential franchise QB to take a guard was going to get him so much shit right out of the gate, especially in New York.  And that's despite the fact that Nelson's play would have long since justified the pick.  

• Like 1

Just now, B-li Manning said:

The easy hindsight thing for the Giants to do in 2018 would've been to try to trade out of #2, move down a few spots and take a generational guard in Quenton Nelson instead.  But I can't really fault Gettleman for not doing that despite his love of hog mollies.  Passing on the consensus best player of the draft or a potential franchise QB to take a guard was going to get him so much shit right out of the gate, especially in New York.  And that's despite the fact that Nelson's play would have long since justified the pick.  

Nelson is amazing but offensive linemen are the new trendy "are they worth the high pick and big contracts" position now that we got it all out of our system with RBs. It's funny how it works out. Basically the only position that really justifies its cost is QB, everything else is a reach pick and an overpayment analytically.

Funny sport.

• Like 1

So speaking of drafting. What is everyone's feeling on the Packers taking Jordan Love instead of something that would remotely help Aaron Rodgers? I feel like the pick was roundly panned by most pundits since it really harms Rodgers it seems like.

16 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

So speaking of drafting. What is everyone's feeling on the Packers taking Jordan Love instead of something that would remotely help Aaron Rodgers? I feel like the pick was roundly panned by most pundits since it really harms Rodgers it seems like.

It was idiotic. This wasn't the Ravens taking Lamar while they still had Flacco and it certainly wasn't the Packers taking Rodgers while they still had Favre.

The team almost made the Super Bowl last year and their entire draft focus should have been around building a winner around Rodgers right now. Future be damned.

The Eagles taking Hurts in the 2nd round made more sense than the Packers taking Love. A guy who for the next year, two, or three is going to just stand around doing nothing. Hurts is going to at least feature on gadget plays.

• Thanks 1