Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

3 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Far too close, will need to be much better against Leeds at the weekend who can definitely score goals. Table not looking half bad though.

I know right? Looks good with us back on top :shifty:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Adam said:

Chris Wilder would be very annoyed by you all referring to Sheff Utd as "Sheffield". <_<

Yeh well he didn't vote for 5 subs so fuck him! /S

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Adam said:

Chris Wilder would be very annoyed by you all referring to Sheff Utd as "Sheffield". <_<

Perhaps he'd prefer we refer to them as Muppets from Sheffield going forward, seems appropriate anyway.

• Sad 1

Is it not a natural thing to happen when there's only one team with a city's name in the context of discussion, i.e. Premier League football?

Norwich United are a thing, albeit in the 9th tier, but Norwich seems to be near-universal parlance for the (much) larger Norwich City. I know that's an extreme example but does the same thing not happen with the Bristols and Nottinghams on occasion, or Man Utd when Man City were dipping into lower leagues?

It's totally understandable to use the full name for clarity when United and Wednesday are in the same league. I could also see Wednesday still being used for the other team if the situations were reversed, simply because of how unique it is.

Just now, Jolly Old St Naitch said:

Is it not a natural thing to happen when there's only one team with a city's name in the context of discussion, i.e. Premier League football?

Norwich United are a thing, albeit in the 9th tier, but Norwich seems to be near-universal parlance for the (much) larger Norwich City. I know that's an extreme example but does the same thing not happen with the Bristols and Nottinghams on occasion, or Man Utd when Man City were dipping into lower leagues?

It's totally understandable to use the full name for clarity when United and Wednesday are in the same league. I could also see Wednesday still being used for the other team if the situations were reversed, simply because of how unique it is.

In my experience, in 20 years of watching and 5 odd of writing about football, no. The clubs themselves do not like it either, as seen by Wilder's thorny retort about it the other day. Granted he is a thorny bloke in general anyway.

But still, when there is a city with two teams in it most people would always use the club's full name. Sheff Utd. Sheff Wed, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Man Utd, Man City, Nott'm Forest, Notts County and so on.

• Like 1

United and Wednesday are similar sized clubs. Feels daft to a Sheffielder (even one that supports United) to just hear us called 'Sheffield'. 

• Like 1

His dad is absolutely livid that Son isn't out on the training pitch, wasting valuable seconds of potential training time.