NBA 2020-2021 Season

Chris2K

I like that the premier game of this play in tournament, a potential ratings bonanza that no one would have expected to happen at the start of the season, has a tip off of 10pm EST on a Wednesday.

12 hours ago, Pooker said:

If the Spurs lose just as bad, I can see a lot of people saying that this play in tournament is pointless and to do away with it next year.

And they still won’t because more games still equals more revenue generated for them. 

I've come around on the play-in game. It kept a handful of teams who normally would have tanked the last month of the season from doing it. The league has an unbalanced schedule so these games serve as a slight equalizer too. And the fact it's double elimination for the 7 and 8 teams gives them some legitimacy from a competitive standpoint.

14 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I like that the premier game of this play in tournament, a potential ratings bonanza that no one would have expected to happen at the start of the season, has a tip off of 10pm EST on a Wednesday.

The biggest matchups of the play-ins were both on super late. I didn't make it through Wiz-Celtics because I'm old and also because I knew Scott Brooks would get outcoached. NBA ratings won't even be hurt by Lakers-Warriors being so late though since both teams are in California the game tips off at primetime there.

2 hours ago, damshow said:

I've come around on the play-in game. It kept a handful of teams who normally would have tanked the last month of the season from doing it. The league has an unbalanced schedule so these games serve as a slight equalizer too. And the fact it's double elimination for the 7 and 8 teams gives them some legitimacy from a competitive standpoint.

Yeah I concur with you on that!

I like it too, anything that makes a game have extra meaning makes it more exciting to watch.

Meanwhile Russ is finding out that every triple-double in the world doesn't mean a thing if you don't show up to those meaningful games.

I think everyone will like the play-in tournament until they're the first team to be a 7 seed and lose two games in a row and end up out the playoffs. 

Aside from that I like the idea, it doesn't allow anyone in 4-10 range to relax late in the year and keeps everything competitive until the last game. 

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

I like it too, anything that makes a game have extra meaning makes it more exciting to watch.

Meanwhile Russ is finding out that every triple-double in the world doesn't mean a thing if you don't show up to those meaningful games.

It's honestly not Russ. Brooks is a dreadful coach in big games, especially against a guy like Brad Stevens. He's always on the side of needing to react to the other team's changes as opposed to forcing the other team to make changes. Boston was always going to clamp down on Westbrook but Brooks was still going to run everything through him.

It's a shallow team, Russ, Beal, and a bit of a mess after that. Gafford has been great off the bench. But if you catch the Wizards on a night Russ and Beal are off, or contain them well, you're going to win because Brooks will make zero adjustments.

I can't decide who I want to win tonight. Kinda don't want to face the Lakers in the first round, but if we want to be the best, need to beat the best and taking out Lebron in the first round would be awesome.

On the other hand, would have a much easier time getting to the second round if we play any of the other three teams.

Would really like to see the Spurs pull off the upset and get into the 8th seed. Would cement Pop as the GOAT.

34 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I can't decide who I want to win tonight. Kinda don't want to face the Lakers in the first round, but if we want to be the best, need to beat the best and taking out Lebron in the first round would be awesome.

On the other hand, would have a much easier time getting to the second round if we play any of the other three teams.

Would really like to see the Spurs pull off the upset and get into the 8th seed. Would cement Pop as the GOAT.

Do you think you could beat the Lakers in the first round? I don't watch much West Coast but I have to assume you would match up better against them the least out of the four.

We beat them twice this year, lost one. Of course, the last two games AD, Lebron, and Mitchell didn't play. The one game the Lakers did win, Gobert and Conley set out. Heard from a few Lakers fans that they can't guard the 3 at all, so if we're hitting our shots, we match up well. 

It would all depend on how Lebrons and Mitchell's ankles are.

Lakers are a very tough team to read. I do think they're not as good as they were last year even when healthy, but they're never healthy so it's hard to be certain.

If (and it's a huge if) they can get through the play-in and pull off the round 1 upset I'd be hard-pressed to bet against them. At that point they should be healthy and rolling. It's just really hard to see them getting there.

After tonight’s game, going with Memphis over the Warriors to get the 8th seed. I just don’t see this weakened Warriors team taking out a surging Grizz team but they’ve also been a bit of a let down before. Either way, I think the Jazz are gonna’ have a very easy first round match-up.

Phoenix / Lakers is an interesting match up though and could knock LeBron out in the first round easily, which would be marvellous.

If Chris Paul is out for any length of time, the Suns don't stand a chance.

Edit: and he's back. Surprising, it looked bad.

Edited by Pooker