2022 NFL Off-Season thread

The Buscher

35 minutes ago, Adam said:

I was just thinking about this the other day. The proposal put forward by the Colts and Eagles is long overdue, whereas I don't feel the Titans suggestion really changes anything about the current situation.

Well it does change things because you'd have to score twice in the Titans' suggestion.  If you score a TD, your choices are to either try to end it with a 2-pointer or simply make it a 7-point lead and know that you're not losing on the next possession to matter what.  You miss the 2-pointer and you're now in a spot where the other team can beat you.

That said, the success rate for 2-point conversions favors the offense so I'd suspect a lot of teams would go for it.

Anyway I have my doubts the rules change.  Surely more teams would've submitted the same proposal if it was that much of a hot button issue to them.  The owners are crotchety and it took ages just to get the current system.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

simply make it a 7-point lead and know that you're not losing on the next possession to matter what. 

...Unless the other team makes a two pointer :shifty: . 

• Like 1

The problem with the overtime proposal to let both teams get the ball, is what do you do in the cases where, in the first possession, the defenders gets a safety? Or for that matter, the offense throws a pick-six? 

What would probably be the fairest way to do OT in the NFL would be to adopt something similar to what college football uses. Offense starts on the 25. Standard play from there, with the exception of no game clock. A defensive score ends the game. If the offense scores, the other team gets a chance to match it. If the game remains tied after those two possessions, then in the regular season it could end in a tie, or in the post season rinse and repeat. 

2 minutes ago, Mick said:

The problem with the overtime proposal to let both teams get the ball, is what do you do in the cases where, in the first possession, the defenders gets a safety? Or for that matter, the offense throws a pick-six? 

What would probably be the fairest way to do OT in the NFL would be to adopt something similar to what college football uses. Offense starts on the 25. Standard play from there, with the exception of no game clock. A defensive score ends the game. If the offense scores, the other team gets a chance to match it. If the game remains tied after those two possessions, then in the regular season it could end in a tie, or in the post season rinse and repeat. 

I don't see that that would be a problem would it? If the defense scores (whether by safety, fumble, interception) than the game is over right?

15 hours ago, Maxx said:

This is not for game fines, it’s for personal conduct fines.  Considering Randy Gregory managed to get suspended for nearly 3 full seasons in 7 years, it’s pretty justified.

And now it’s come out that the exact same language was in the last contract he signed with the Cowboys.

23 minutes ago, Krabby said:

I don't see that that would be a problem would it? If the defense scores (whether by safety, fumble, interception) than the game is over right?

No, it wouldn't, that's how it should be. It's just a flaw with either the proposal itself or how the wording in how it was reported. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mick said:

While I can kinda see your point for the first one, the second one is a change of possession.  Both teams held the ball.  No issue there

51 minutes ago, Mick said:

No, it wouldn't, that's how it should be. It's just a flaw with either the proposal itself or how the wording in how it was reported. 

Well that's just weird - I would think that would be a no-brainer? So if you throw a pick-six, you get the ball back for another possession?

23 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Well that's just weird - I would think that would be a no-brainer? So if you throw a pick-six, you get the ball back for another possession?

Poorly worded!

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Krabby said:

It is a no brainer.  This are both amendments to a single part of the existing overtime rules.  Which means everything else in the overtime rules would remain the same.  If the defense scores on your offensive possession, the game is over, that’s not going to change.

• Like 1