Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

3 hours ago, MadJack said:

That risk doesn't seem to stop teams in American sports signing off on an All-Star game...

Well, in the NFL the Pro Bowl game (which is the league's version of an All-Star game) is notorious for the lack of interest it generates and how laughably lightly the players treat it when playing. If anything it is a hindrance to the build-up to the Super Bowl and just gets in the way.

I am no against this idea as a concept in the Premier League but I don't think fans would take it anymore seriously than they do the Community Shield and so I don't think it would generate the money that Todd Boehly is saying it would. The Shield also serves a charitably purpose at least. As @DavidMarrio said, the PL should be funding the pyramid to the tune of millions anyway because they are held up by the rest of us and can only benefit from strengthening the national ecosystem, and shouldn't need a gimmick to facilitate doing so.

The only organization I follow with an All-Star game is the NBA. While it's a little fun and surely very rewarding for the players who get selected, plus it's a welcome break from just games day after day, but it's also the most boring and lazy game to watch because players treat it like a holiday. There's nothing remotely exciting when it comes to the actual game.

I assume with the postponed fixtures their plan is to cross their fingers and hope that cup exits fall kindly to open up gaps in the new year.

Which, should Chelsea and Liverpool have the kind of cup runs they had last season, will probably mean that match won't get played until June.

49 minutes ago, Adam said:

No Premier League for two weeks and then it returns with Villa v Southampton, two sides trying their hardest to be dreadful at football.

I wish it was only two weeks for Liverpool...

Last prem game - 3rd September

Next prem game - 1st October

49 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Haaland is going to single-handedly lead to another decade of PL clubs overpaying for not generationally-gifted Bundesliga strikers and wondering why they can't make it in England.

Once again Chelsea is ahead of the trend in the category of Bad Choices.

• Haha 1