Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

Refreshing to see, after the Leicester game everyone was saying that he was done for but that's better than the traditional "vote of confidence" to say they're behind him. I don't think they bought well at all over the Summer and think they're doomed but good to see them putting actions to words and backing him to get them back up/out of the mess.

There's two ways of doing things really, one is to keep him on and see if these 500 signings gel, or you do the Sunderland thing of bringing in a new manager every year, turning over a dozen players each time, and hope it keeps you up. It worked for them for a while but then they were skint and fucked. At least this way they have a chance to build something.

I know newly-promoted clubs not named Norwich and West Brom basically always make moves in their first 2 transfer windows, but Forest has been at the extreme end of it all. I understand some of the rationale - the reward for staying up is worth the risk of never finding a way for what's practically an entirely new squad to gel. 

I'm a tad surprised they're just letting Cooper ride this out but I have a suspicion it'll pay off for them. Better than bringing in a new manager who takes a half-dozen matches to figure out how to make the squad work. Cooper in theory is a lot closer to making things work.

The biggest concern for me is that they look worse now than they did in the first few matches. Newcastle were all over them on the opening day, but Forest at least defended stubbornly and looked difficult to break down. Then they beat West Ham and drew at Everton before having some promising moments at home to Spurs.

Since Man City dominated them in the next game, they've not looked good at all. Against Bournemouth, Fulham and Leicester, they've fallen apart and conceded several goals in short periods of time. It's a worrying trend and it's highlighted to me that, for all the signings, they really need better central defenders. Cook, McKenna and Worrall were key players in last season's promotion campaign, but they aren't up to Premier League standards.

The one thing that might work for Nottingham Forest that I'm thinking the board is counting on: Steve Cooper is going to have a month with almost the entirety of the squad during the World Cup to get the team to gel better. He's going to essentially have the preseason that he didn't get to have with almost all these signings.

When you look at their squad, the only players who will/might be in Qatar are Dean Henderson, Neco Williams, Brennan Johnson, Koyate, and MAYBE Moussa Niakhate (uncapped but called up in September). Just 5 guys max. 

That month of training everyday is going to be such a huge chance for Cooper to get chemistry formed, teammates bonding, patterns of attack, defensive transitions and lines of play, etc. 

It may still be a doomed project, but I think there's at least a chance. I also am biased because I want to see them stay up for my brother in law, who only got into soccer the last few years but has watched Forest from the day he started watching finally. I'd like to see them stay up for him

• Like 4

I think that's a good point. It should be like having a second pre-season. They were given a bit less time to prepare for the season anyway, given that they had to go through the playoffs, and losing five key loanees was always going to leave a skeleton squad. They overcorrected in that regard and now need to work out how a team of strangers can work cohesively.

Signing of the season! 

I feel bad for him though. That's a shame for him that he's got these injury issues and can't get his career back on track. Can't even imagine how frustrated he must be 

Seven goals from nine games, and from our easiest run of fixtures of the season. Gerrard needs to go. You know it’s bad when he’s bemoaning players for not creating moments of magic when all the while there’s is no tactical cohesion. Just clueless. 

On 08/10/2022 at 18:46, DavidMarrio said:

Should be liquidated purely on that

I was panicking it was going to be some fawning pro Saudi thing, to be honest I was fairly relieved when I saw it.

Still enough to stop me contributing to future flags though.

• Like 1

Leeds vs Arsenal is delayed because of IT problems in communication between the refs and VAR/goal line tech. Clearly Arsenal are just scared now that 'Mr Golden Boot' Rodrigo is back up front...

• Haha 1

If hitting the woodwork counted as a goal we'd be 2-0 up. :shifty:

1 minute ago, FLiam said:

It’s all to do with games being on a level playing-field though. Which I get.

But would be nice to play a VAR-less game of football.

That's never the case though, the refs are different, the VARs are different, goal line tech has failed and they constantly have issues getting an angle to correctly overturn a decision. They need to be clear that VAR can only ever be an aid, and the fans shouldn't be punished for it.