College Football 2022

7 hours ago, Jacob deBusch said:

I swear if TCU friggin allow Bama to make it in....

My friends and I have spent the better part of last night and this morning testing about this and we can't find anyone more worthy of the 4th spot if TCU blow it. Both losses for Alabama were razor thin and on the road to teams currently in the top 15. Tennessee got blown out by South Carolina. Penn State already lost to the two teams from the Big 10 making the playoff, and decisively. Washington just doesn't feel like they did enough and lost to Arizona State. Clemson will leapfrog a lot of teams if they win the ACC but can't see them leapfrogging Alabama or Tennessee - a win over a UNC team that scuffled at the end isn't that valuable.

There's an argument for a one-loss TCU to just stay in but that conference has been measurably poor this year, with potentially only TCU finishing the year with double-digit wins.

These scenarios are why I hate playoffs in college football. Between Georgia, Michigan, and TCU, by the end of today, we will know who the two best teams are. Put them together in the championship and stop letting teams like Alabama and Ohio State, who didn't even make their conference championship, back in on the heels of those who did. I hate that they're making the sport I love into NFL-Lite.

TV Networks are always gonna favor playoffs above regular season.  Their argument is always “more fanbases that have hope of winning it all means more people tuning in” and right now, teams have very little margin of error.  Slip and lose a should-have-won game in September and your playoff hopes are already done.  The networks hate that.

Of course, expanded playoffs just means the regular season lacks urgency.  But all sports are doing this.  Baseball plays 162 games just to let 12, probably 14 or 16 in a few years, in.  It’s nonsense.  But playoff revenue is king and all the networks care about.

The joke of it is that the idea of “more teams have hope” doesn’t work in college football.  The disparity is too great.  Under a 12 team format, the top 4 teams will get byes and I’d wager the bye teams will roll their opponents 95 out of 100 times.  The idea of the 8th-12th best team in the country will actually have a realistic chance at winning a title is a fantasy.

The Playoff solved the problem of what to do in years where there were 3 teams who were hard to separate. Nobody thinks the 5th best team in the country that gets left out of the CFP is good enough to win. I'll admit this a weird year where it seems as deep as it's been but even then, more than 6 teams is preposterous.

27 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Heisman voters are lazy as shit and probably already made their decisions but Max Duggan is making quite the argument that the outstanding ballots should go to him.

And yet they don’t attempt a QB sneak  at any point in overtime with the game on the line.  Really questionable play calling there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jacob deBusch said:

Even if they lose I feel like TCU should go through regardless.  This performance justifies it.

But the committee will use any excuse to suck off Bama and the SEC.

The committee hasn't put Alabama ahead of 1-loss teams yet, so maybe they've set the precedent. Depends how wide the gulf is perceived to be between the SEC West murderer's row and the Big 12.

12 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

These scenarios are why I hate playoffs in college football. Between Georgia, Michigan, and TCU, by the end of today, we will know who the two best teams are. Put them together in the championship and stop letting teams like Alabama and Ohio State, who didn't even make their conference championship, back in on the heels of those who did. I hate that they're making the sport I love into NFL-Lite.

See? Michigan/Georgia. No other teams necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, VerbalUce said:

Man, it's fucking nice to have a football team in this state playing this well. I mean...playoffs could be another story but this is cool too.

Unrelated to the current team but I watched Secret Base's Rewinder episode on the Appalachian State game! Craziness

OSU fans having the meltdowns online of "Well Michigan only threw those long touchdown because we had nine guys in the box trying to stop the run!" is the saddest, most beautiful crybaby crap I've seen online lately. Their whole fanbase seem to be jumping through illogical hoops like that and I'm all for it. I'm a Notre Dame guy, and despise Michigan, but I hope they beat the Buckeyes for the next several years if this is the kind of reaction they have every time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

OSU fans having the meltdowns online of "Well Michigan only threw those long touchdown because we had nine guys in the box trying to stop the run!" is the saddest, most beautiful crybaby crap I've seen online lately. Their whole fanbase seem to be jumping through illogical hoops like that and I'm all for it. I'm a Notre Dame guy, and despise Michigan, but I hope they beat the Buckeyes for the next several years if this is the kind of reaction they have every time. 

OSU fans deciding they want to get rid of Ryan Day (who I can't stand) is one of the funniest things. Guy has lost 2 Big Ten games and 5 total. And they're all about getting rid of him and making a run at Vrabel.