NFL 2022

Lineker

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

The Pro Bowl has already changed. It's a skills competition and flag-football game from this year onwards.

I think a lot of the decisions, both the confusion about continuing last night and for any potential replay, are going to be driven by TV contract expectations, and any potential breaches of those contracts that may occur if the NFL don't deliver the expected number of games.

I think this is the case, especially since the networks know it's very easy for people to default to blaming the NFL even when it isn't warranted.

But at the same time the NFL can "meet" those contractual obligations with very creative scheduling. You have a window where all the games can still be played and the teams (Buffalo, Cincy, and their opponents) will still get 5-6 days between games.

22 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

If you thought Skip Bayless would have the worst take on all of this, Bart Scott went onto ESPN today and blamed Tee Higgins.

He should be unemployed by this time tomorrow.

Just saw that. Wtf? 

7 hours ago, Justin Buschlander said:

If you thought Skip Bayless would have the worst take on all of this, Bart Scott went onto ESPN today and blamed Tee Higgins.

He should be unemployed by this time tomorrow.

Skip Bayless says some stupid shit, but a lot of it is to create controversy. His comments were not well thought out.

Bart Scott, however, is a Garden Variety Asshole. If you'll remember, back in 2021 he sort of hinted that the Ravens should injure Joe Burrow.

DaLmQzXX0AAEfUv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I was wondering why that wasn't their plan from the get-go. You can change the name of the franchise, but...

You're right. They should be called the Washington Sam Howells. 

• Haha 1

Appears they're expecting to cancel the Bills-Bengals game. I suspect the only catch is *if* Baltimore beats Cincy on Sunday because then seeding becomes a huge mess. It still is a mess, KC will get the top seed despite losing to both Buffalo and Cincinnati. Buffalo is locked in as the 2 seed and can rest starters against NE (who they'll just then play in the wild card round anyway). A Baltimore win puts the AFC North in question. Without it all the divisions are settled and each affected team gets at least one home game.

Surprising it's headed that way but I guess the league might not be able to get the networks on board with adjusting the playoff schedule.

I wonder if there's anything in the by-laws between the league and union that the commissioner can unilaterally decide seeding and divisions in times of crisis for "the integrity of the game" or whatever.  If so, then I think it would be time to get creative and look beyond just winning percentage.  Maybe something like this:

-Bills and Bengals both have seeding priority over the Chiefs by virtue of head to head record.

-Bills, since they were in 1st when Week 17 started, clinch the 1 seed with a win over the Pats Sunday.

-Bengals with a win over the Ravens would be no lower than the 2 seed

-Ravens would be AFC North champions and the 3 seed if they can beat the Bengals

-Chiefs would slot in anywhere from 1-3 depending on the outcomes of these games

---

The Bengals might gripe about being able to lose the division to a Ravens team that can't mathematically pass them otherwise, but knowing that higher seed is right there for the taking can placate them.

The Chiefs are the one team that will say they're getting completely shafted since their game is on Saturday and they'd need to play to win even though they don't control their destiny.  But at the end of the day, they lost to both teams that were possibly seeded ahead of them.

Not a perfect solution but it feels like this would be more equitable than arbitrarily having the AFC playoffs go through Arrowhead and making a potential Super Bowl run by them look fraudulent.