NFL 2022

Lineker

3 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Stafford's elbow might be worse than advertised.

Doesn’t help that Kupp is the only receiver on the team that remembers how to catch the ball.

Today is Lamar Jackson's arbitrary deadline for getting a contract agreed upon before the season. As he's negotiating without an agent the whole process has been a mess. I doubt anything gets done.

Word has been since the moment the Watson deal got announced he's wanted the fully guaranteed contract and for more money. Ravens thus far have allegedly not budged on their offer which I'd assume is more money than Murray got, a very hefty signing bonus, but not fully guaranteed.

Just objectively speaking, Jackson not signing any extension is foolish. He's waited out the entire market and will get one of the 3 of 4 biggest contracts in history. Ravens have so many chips on the table that he doesn't clearly grasp (again, no agent). If he's demanding a fully guaranteed deal in the range of Watson the Ravens save a ton of money just franchise tagging him the next 2 seasons. The cap hits for both are decidedly less than whatever he'll have if he gets something like a 5 yr/$250 million deal.

I don't really feed into the injuries angle though. Barring something truly catastrophic an injury won't decrease his value. It may decrease his value to the Ravens but a QB desperate team will happily roll the dice. So, again, the Ravens have these arrows in their quiver.

End of the day if absolutely nothing gets done the Ravens have the ability to move him for a ransom and while assuming a big risk as it applies to the QB position will at the least give themselves enough potential options and chances to quickly address the position.

There's been a looming spectre of tampering by Miami, but that's what it is. As noted above they'd have to pay a ransom.

A lot of this is stuff that an agent would've gone in knowing but I can't believe a player does. Sports agents provide an important service in that they make sure athletes don't get screwed, but given Jackson's apparent demands for the fully guaranteed contract he runs a major risk of screwing himself. Instead of $150 million+ in cash over the next 3 years due to a hefty signing bonus and salary he is running into a situation where he'll play year 5 of his rookie deal at $23 million and then two years under the tag at $30 and $35 million a piece for a rough total of $88 million. Huge money either way but absolutely leaving a ton on the table that no further contract extension can recoup.

• Like 1

Yeah I know you save a boatload on agency fees by not having one, but they're there for a reason.  Maybe he still wouldn't have an extension right now but the agent would explain to him why Watson's fully guaranteed deal is unprecedented, and how it has a major risk of blowing up in the Browns' face which will, in turn, prevent other teams from wanting to go that route.

In any event, I'll be pulling for Lamar to do his best Aaron Judge contract year impression.  Certainly has nothing to do with the fact that I may have bet on him at +2000 MVP odds.

• Like 2

The Browns basically had to do borderline illegal cap circumvention to make that contract work too. And it does blow up in their face just with how much of a cap hit he has and how much restructuring they're going to have to continually do around it for their other players. Next season is as close to an all-in year as you'll see a team have in this day and age.

Ravens have long been a team that rarely gets itself in a cap predicament. Ozzie did it twice, and one resulted in a Super Bowl whilst the other came about because their QB turned into god for 4 weeks. They love comp picks, they love finding and developing players, etc. The only seasons they've had under .500 since 2010 have occurred when their QB sustained a season ending injury. So this is not the type of team that's going to do what Cleveland did. Not by a longshot.

41 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Well, I have a perfect record in the Weekly Picks I'm doing! :w00t: 

(Only 3 people out of the 10 or so playing picked the Rams, and one is last year's defending champ.)

You know there is an EWB Pickems league...:P

1 hour ago, Krabby said:

You know there is an EWB Pickems league...:P

Yes, but I've been playing with the same group for years, and we only do it for bragging rights, not in a league. Its on another forum where everyone uses their real name.