2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

42 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Jim's on a draft week bender

Jim Irsay will wind up dead in a hotel room from an apparent overdose within the next five years. I just know it. 

3 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

@DFF

Sources with NFL teams were not surprised that Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs went as a top-20 pick, because they viewed Gibbs as one of the few players with an elite grade in the 2023 NFL Draft. Interestingly, sources with the Jets say their team was planning on taking Gibbs with the 15th pick. They felt he was too much of a playmaker to pass on, and he would have been a tremendous receiving back for Aaron Rodgers to work with. Gibbs also is a very good pass blocker who could have helped the aging quarterback. The Jets took Breece Hall in the second round last year, but Hall is coming off a serious injury, and having a potent rushing attack with a two-headed monster would obviously have helped the Jets set up good down-and-distance situations for Rodgers. After the Lions took Gibbs with the 12th pick and the offensive linemen went off the board, the Jets felt that Will McDonald was the best value available and could help them field a dangerous edge rush group.

-Another player that the Falcons loved was Iowa linebacker Jack Campbell. Sources said that Atlanta was interested in trading up from its second-round pick to get Campbell. Additionally, sources with the New York Giants said Campbell was in the running for their first-round pick. If he fell to late in the first round, they were planning on seeing what it would take to move up for Campbell. Multiple team evaluators have said Campbell is similar to former Carolina Panthers All-Pro linebacker Luke Kuechly. Detroit snatched up Campbell at No. 18, breaking the hearts of some of the staff with the Falcons and Giants.

Yeah, the more I read the more I feel good about these picks. Read an interview with Holmes basically saying that you can't just say 'you shouldn't take an RB that early' when Gibbs is actually a multi-talented / multi-positional threat etc. They were the guys at the top of our board by the time it came round to us. 

• Like 1

I like the Hooker pick. Actually I really like what Holmes has ended up with. I feel like getting Branch where we did should be a wash with where we took Campbell so people can quit bitching about positional value. 

But I like getting Hooker where we did, good situation for him and I like his skillset since it's a change of pace from Goff. 

And the Giants just took his WR Jalin Hyatt. I like that pick a lot for the Giants. 

And wow there goes Cedric Tillman right after Hyatt, lol. 

Not a fan of the TE pick for Dallas, especially when O'Cyrus Torrance was still available.   Instead we draft a guy who seems to be essentially what we already have at TE.  Weird choice.

Loved the Giants’ picks today.  Schmitz should step right in as the week 1 starting center, and Hyatt gives them a promising new weapon that they needed.

With their various trade ups they went from 10 picks this year to 7.  And that’s fine as all of the picks they dealt away were Day 3s.  Yeah it’s nice to dream of landing a surprise late round stud, but far and away the vast majority of those guys have a ceiling of special teams, if at all.

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

I do like East/West Bowl selection, DeMarvion Overshown though.

You know how surnames often derive from either places or jobs people used to do in the old days? I wonder what the etymology of the surname Overshown is. 

Also, without having done any proper digging yet, I am broadly happy with what we went for last night. A QB in the 3rd is fine - potentially good enough to be something down the line, but no additional pressure on Goff this year beyond what he was already expecting. 

9 hours ago, Lineker said:

Joey Porter Jr. to the Steelers was such an obvious pick.

Obvious maybe, but I'm so glad we did it. I don't even care if he's a bust, the sentimentality of the moment, particularly with Faneca announcing the pick, was awesome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DFF said:

You know how surnames often derive from either places or jobs people used to do in the old days? I wonder what the etymology of the surname Overshown is. 

It’s likely an evolution/anglicised version of the Scandinavian Ovesen (son of Ove, Ove meaning edge spear or fear respect).

• Like 1