2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

I always like day 3 of the draft because it feels so much more chill. Round 1 is intense, Round 2 is a bit less intense but still makes you sweat, 3 relaxes a bit but now you're getting the weird reaches and guys falling. 

But day 3, it's chill. You sorta scout the players drafted, hope to guess at who might be a late round gem, and the broadcasts have those neat "Notable players drafted in this round" "Hey it's Round 6 remember when Tom Brady was Round 6?" and it's just fun. 

I think people forget how big NFL scouting departments are.  When it comes to late round prospects, nearly everyone drafted has one or two scouts who think they can see the “best case scenario” for them turning into a stud.  Organization decision makers rarely pick someone with that in mind though.

I’m sure Seattle’s front office took Richard Sherman in the 5th round thinking “smart Stanford dude who could contribute on specials”.  Maybe a few scouts were pounding the table about him potentially developing into a lockdown corner, but clearly he would’ve been drafted way higher if that was the majority opinion.

And that’s the beauty of the draft.

Quite like the sound the WR we've taken in the 7th. Overall, really solid draft, I think. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DFF said:

Quite like the sound the WR we've taken in the 7th. Overall, really solid draft, I think. 

He has a really good shot at making the team considering Jamos suspension and his competition would be....let me check my notes, right, Tom Kennedy, Trinity Benson, and Maurice Alexander.

• Lineker changed the title to 2023 NFL Off-Season thread

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

The Jets have signed Randall Cobb because why wouldn't they?

Apparently he was on Aaron Rodgers' wish list after catching all of... *checks notes*... 1 touchdown last season. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I can't get the link to that tweet to work because Twitter is broken, but Mayock trying to pass the buck to a guy who can't really defend himself doesn't tell me anything.

Mike Mayock was on the Chris Long Podcast, and he some interesting things to say about his time with the #Raiders: - Mayock said Jon Gruden had the final say in everything when it came to drafting. - He also said he tried trading up for both Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams. He also tried to trade down, no one wanted to move up or down. - Cle was my guy... I was wrong on Clelin Ferrell. - We liked Josh Allen a lot. We also looked at Ed Oliver. Those were the other two guys in the conversation at 4. - I took phone calls on teams trying to Trade for Derek Carr. He was worth more than 1 first-round pick at the end of 21 season. - I felt Rich Bisaccia should have been the head coach of the Raiders in 2022. He had a 12-week trial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1