2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

Both easy decisions, though I am beginning to wonder if McDermott has hit his ceiling.  Starting to feel like he's settling into Andy Reid in Philly territory.

We are the Carolina Panthers, Adam Hills ot a TV show

Lineker. our QB has not signed ... hi's going to cost use .. Andy Dalton

• Like 1

Bryce needs as much money as possible, as quickly as possible, as he probably doesn't expect to survive more than one season.

To the surprise of no one, its the Jets for Hard Knocks this season.

And the Bucs are bringing back the creamsicle jerseys for a few games this season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maxx said:

To the surprise of no one, its the Jets for Hard Knocks this season.

And the Bucs are bringing back the creamsicle jerseys for a few games this season.

Not just any game. 

October 15, Lions vs the Buccaneers. My birthday. Detroit was my dad's team. The very first NFL game I saw in person was the Lions and Bucs (....and the second game, for that matter, but that was the playoffs and they were in pewter and red :shifty: ).

Goddamn do I want to go, but fuck is it expensive. I can live without it, but it would be so fitting to go to. 

• Like 1

Giants and Saquon failed to agree to a deal by the 4 PM deadline.  Some Giants writers are saying they weren’t all that far apart, which I doubt because otherwise it would’ve gotten done.  Other writers and Saquon himself have sent the message that they weren’t particularly close.

I’m glad the Giants drew their line in the sand and that Mara didn’t force Schoen to go over his assessed value.  A talented player certainly, but RBs are largely replaceable.  It’s been proven time again around the league.  And the Giants themselves have had stints of far better run game production when Barkley was not being force-fed the ball, either through injury or game-planning.

Saquon’s agent blew it and that’s really it.  Both by not reaching a deal months ago and not reaching a deal now.  He’s got zero leverage.  A monster Saquon season just means another tag next year.

As for what happens now, Saquon is almost surely holding out, and probably won’t see the field until week 1.  And fans are fine with it, he’s a plug and play guy in this system, he doesn’t need training camp or preseason reps.  And if he chooses to hold out, he’ll cost himself nearly a million bucks a week when, again, he has no leverage.

• Sad 1

Nah.  I watch just about every snap of every Giants game.  Nearly all of his damage is done on a few plays a game, skewing his YPC significantly.  Many times his stat line was the product of one really long run.  I give him credit for being a home run threat whenever he goes outside the tackle box, but those in and of themselves are few and far between.  You can't only use Saquon as an outside threat or the defenses will figure it out, so that means you have to waste tons of plays having him run straight up the gut for 1.5-2 yards at a time.  His gap recognition is poor and it's been the weakest part of his game even going back to Penn State.

Matt Breida filled in at points last year and looked good.  Devontae Booker had several weeks of looking like a legit fantasy starter filling in for Saquon in 2021.  Wayne Gallman was a good hand before them etc.  All of those guys can pick up yardage at a solid clip just from a more conventional run game.

Not trying to crap too much on Saquon here.  It's not just the Giants, it's the whole league.  Jacobs and Pollard didn't get extended either.  Dalvin has been jobless for a month.  Guys like Ekeler and Henry have sounded off in the past day about how the NFL is treating RBs as replaceable, but literally every year you have low round rookie RBs coming in and being productive for cheap.  Nobody remembers the RB on most recent Super Bowl winning teams.

I don't blame these guys for being unhappy that their big paydays aren't coming anymore, but I don't see a solution either.  If the RBs want to collectively hold out or whatever that's their prerogative, but I think the union failed them by not getting the franchise tag addressed in the CBA.

• Like 2