2024 NFL Draft

Lineker

On 11/04/2024 at 14:17, gunnar hendershow said:

Well, there are sure to be some molten hot takes about OJ over the next few days.

Is saying he definitely did it, but, between the LAPD and the prosecution he was rightfully acquitted because his defense team was able to bring reasonable doubt into it, a hot take?

He got off because Mark Fuhrman was a dumbass Nazi who tried to frame a guilty man, Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden were woefully outclassed by Johnnie Cochran, daddy Kardashian, F. Lee Bailey, and the rat looking guy who was friends with Epstein who's name I forget, and because the LAPD were incredibly corrupt and racist (and still only the second most corrupt and racist police force in Los Angeles).

It's also come out that he allegedly sexually assaulted and battered two women when he was at USC.

Hell of a football player, though. Kind of like Chris Benoit in that regard.

53 minutes ago, DMN in the House said:

Is saying he definitely did it, but, between the LAPD and the prosecution he was rightfully acquitted because his defense team was able to bring reasonable doubt into it, a hot take?

He got off because Mark Fuhrman was a dumbass Nazi who tried to frame a guilty man, Marcia Clark and Christopher Darden were woefully outclassed by Johnnie Cochran, daddy Kardashian, F. Lee Bailey, and the rat looking guy who was friends with Epstein who's name I forget, and because the LAPD were incredibly corrupt and racist (and still only the second most corrupt and racist police force in Los Angeles).

It's also come out that he allegedly sexually assaulted and battered two women when he was at USC.

Hell of a football player, though. Kind of like Chris Benoit in that regard.

He also got off because the prosecution cared more about how they looked on tv than focusing on the actual case. 

Didn't bring in a leather/glove expert to testify why the gloves, which had been left out in the cold and rain, didn't fit. If they had brought in an expert, instead of "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit", OJ would have been in some deep shit.

Did a piss poor job regarding the `ugly' Bruno Magli shoes that OJ said he didn't own. ESPN found a picture of him wearing them fairly easily.

29 minutes ago, DMN in the House said:

None of that mattered once Fuhrman took the fifth on planting evidence despite answering other questions. That was a killshot of reasonable doubt.

Let's not forget the vaunted Chewbacca defense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I definitely don't think criticizing the prosecution for failing to drive home an alley-oop of a case is really a take at all. It's what happened.

Burden of proof is, more often than not, so high in criminal trials for good reason. OJ happened to be this incredibly high-profile case of many people in the public learning about that at the same time. It's why I have been anticipating some idiotic things to be said about the trial and chase and his football legacy.

Anyway, this is the NFL thread, and thus far it has been tremendously muted from the NFL and HOF. He's not being completely ignored but for a guy who, prior to 1994, was basically considered a deity in football it feels that way.

34 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I definitely don't think criticizing the prosecution for failing to drive home an alley-oop of a case is really a take at all. It's what happened.

Burden of proof is, more often than not, so high in criminal trials for good reason. OJ happened to be this incredibly high-profile case of many people in the public learning about that at the same time. It's why I have been anticipating some idiotic things to be said about the trial and chase and his football legacy.

Anyway, this is the NFL thread, and thus far it has been tremendously muted from the NFL and HOF. He's not being completely ignored but for a guy who, prior to 1994, was basically considered a deity in football it feels that way.

I think I saw that the HOF put out a statement about his football exploits remaining in their archive or something similar. I'm not sure what they could say, really, he was already in the Hall when everything happened. I'm sure the NFL doesn't want to touch it with a ten-yard pole.

I have seen quite a few postings on Reddit of the jurors from the case talking about it being 'revenge' (not their words, I can't remember the exact wording) for Rodney King. I wish I could say it's hard to understand how polarized Los Angeles (and honestly, the country as a whole) was on the issue of race, but I'm sure even people who weren't around or old enough to remember can understand that now.

I mean people were celebrating when he was acquitted for a reason. I remember having a coworker who lived in LA in the mid-90s and he would talk about the reaction basically in the tone of "he definitely did it but getting one over on the LAPD felt so good". I think most of us are smart enough to understand why it felt that way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I mean people were celebrating when he was acquitted for a reason. I remember having a coworker who lived in LA in the mid-90s and he would talk about the reaction basically in the tone of "he definitely did it but getting one over on the LAPD felt so good". I think most of us are smart enough to understand why it felt that way.

It was probably an unnecessary comment, but I was more just trying to draw a parallel to our current political climate and polarization. I see a lot of looking back and thinking it was better, even I fall in to it some time, so it was more a comment on that than towards anyone or any place specifically.

I definitely agree that most posters here who are American and old enough to really remember it understand it. (Edit: I should say that I'm pretty sure most of our fellow non-American posters get it too, tbf. This is a pretty progressive and educated board).

On a side note, I remember when the Bronco chase happened, because they went up the 405, which was literally three-four blocks from my house at the time, you could see it from my bedroom. It's kind of surreal looking back at it.

Edited by DMN in the House

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Any juror who thought he did it but voted not guilty because of the LAPD can go burn in Hell alongside him.

The fact that either fail to understand, or have no respect for, the way our criminal justice system is supposed to work is unsurprising.

Edited by DMN in the House

39 minutes ago, DMN in the House said:

The fact that either fail to understand, or have no respect for, the way our criminal justice system is supposed to work is unsurprising.

I absolutely understand the jurors who acquited because of Fuhrman and the awful job the prosecution did. Yes, there was reasonable doubt. 

But I was talking specifically about any juror who actually believed he was guilty and would have acquitted even if the prosecution had presented a solid case. I forgot to mention that.

Again, as I stated, had they brought in an expert regarding the glove and proved that OJ owned those Bruno Magli shoes, I believe there was a good chance he would have been found guilty, Fuhrman aside.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

So, how about that NFL Draft huh?

Honestly, draft stuff has kind of died down recently. I saw a tweet that was basically 'no teams are talking and none of them have decided on who they're taking', lol. I think outside of Caleb Williams at one, and Jim Harbaugh wanting to draft Michigan Men, everyone's keeping their mouths shut and watching what happens.

Other than Caleb Williams (who I think the Bears will regret drafting in a couple of years) and whoever the Cowboys draft, I really don't give a shit this year. Will be interesting to see which QB goes second, but that's about it. 

• Admin
10 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

Honestly, draft stuff has kind of died down recently. I saw a tweet that was basically 'no teams are talking and none of them have decided on who they're taking', lol. I think outside of Caleb Williams at one, and Jim Harbaugh wanting to draft Michigan Men, everyone's keeping their mouths shut and watching what happens.

Yeah - this. It is the quiet before the storm.

The Cowboys have fixed their need at RB by signing Royce Freeman. No need to worry anymore guys. 🖐😮‍💨🤚 Super Bowl season incoming!

• Like 1