2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

3 hours ago, LL! said:

lol Steelers

Yikes, I knew we'd pretty much given up on him, but I didn't see us giving up on him to this extent. It sounds like he wanted the trade, probably because he felt betrayed by the organisation signing Wilson as a starter, but he's just going to be a back-up in Philly too.

For the first time in nearly 20 years I've been a Steelers fan this really feels like we don't have a coherent plan on what's going on. For example, our current #2 quarterback is former WWE Champion - Vacant.

47 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Yikes, I knew we'd pretty much given up on him, but I didn't see us giving up on him to this extent. It sounds like he wanted the trade, probably because he felt betrayed by the organisation signing Wilson as a starter, but he's just going to be a back-up in Philly too.

For the first time in nearly 20 years I've been a Steelers fan this really feels like we don't have a coherent plan on what's going on. For example, our current #2 quarterback is former WWE Champion - Vacant.

Apparently the Pickett situation had been brewing since late last season where he allegedly refused to dress as the emergency backup.

It sucks for him, but honestly he hasn't shown remotely the level of skill befitting a starter in the NFL, let alone one be a negative personality in the locker room.

It's the harsh reality of sports in general, but if you find yourself on the push down all you can do to guarantee a career is to put your head down and keep working behind the scenes in the hope of getting the next chance.

And he could've used being behind Russell as a way to improve himself away from the pressure, to learn tricks from a guy who has massive amounts of experience both with success and frustration.

Instead he threw a fit, and finds himself on the bus to Philly where he will also be a backup. I hope he gets the hint, else I don't see him in the NFL beyond his rookie deal.

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

You may well end up with Fields. The fact the Steelers are only on the hook with Wilson for a year at minimum salary might mean they take that punt, but I know they'll have told Wilson he's the starter already or else he wouldn't have signed.

Wanted him for the Vikes but good for the Jets, I assume he can only he looking forward to letting edge rushers pass by as a way to punish Rodgers for being an absolute dunce

Spotrac has now listed Darren Waller as retired despite no confirmation yet from the player or team.  If he does retire, it's a $7 million dead cap hit for the season although the Giants could restructure it, much as the Rams did with Aaron Donald's contract yesterday.  NFL contracts generally have automatic restructure clauses in them, they don't impact the players' wallets at all but spreads out the damage for cap implications.  That's how some teams hold off the dead cap damage even longer.

It's kind of a silly thing to me.  Retired players of course should get all guaranteed money owed per their contract but it's strange that those earnings still have to count as dead money against the cap.

Be funny if someone solidifies their spot as a team legend by signing with a division rival for like $70 million guaranteed and then retires the next day.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Krabby said:

Wanted him for the Vikes but good for the Jets, I assume he can only he looking forward to letting edge rushers pass by as a way to punish Rodgers for being an absolute dunce

The inevitable injury by week 3 for Tyron will take care of that. 

• Haha 1

Forgone conclusion at this point. Will be interesting to see the battle between Wilson and Fields. I estimate Wilson is petty much cooked and Fields will be starting halfway through the season. 

• Haha 1

As extremely hilarious as that return is, I'm actually a little annoyed the Vikes didn't go get him for a freaking 6th round conditional pick.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 23:33, Adam said:

You may well end up with Fields. The fact the Steelers are only on the hook with Wilson for a year at minimum salary might mean they take that punt, but I know they'll have told Wilson he's the starter already or else he wouldn't have signed.

Hey, I was right.

They've said Wilson is the definite starter but surely it won't take too much for them to put Fields in, of Wilson continues a downturn.

It will be extremely funny if Williams doesn't end up being all they say he is, since the Bears got basically nothing for Fields.

• Like 1

Now THIS I can get on board with. Wilson feels like a good mentor for Fields (on the field at least) and I think Fields has a lot of untapped potential that Chicago didn't have the patience or coach to get to.

And for a 6th round pick? That's insane.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LL! said:

The inevitable injury by week 3 for Tyron will take care of that. 

Hopefully the week 2 injury for Rodgers does.

Pickett apparently was an Eagles fan growing up, and he has a better chance winning a Super Bowl ring there than he did with the Steelers. Even if it is as a backup.

And I'm hoping Williams turns out to be crap.

I still hate it but I was thinking and if the Fields pick turns into a 4th we basically traded him for Keenan Allen which is a little less horrible. I still hate it but it makes me a little less angry to think of it like that

• Like 1