Football Manager 2014

Dan

I should clarify I meant poacher as a lone striker, such as I use in the Pentagon. It will still work if you have a creator alongside them.

Why not? It's worked for a lot of top, top strikers.

Tactical evolution.

The current prevalence of high line, aggressive pressing means that your attacker becomes your first line of defence. An out and out poacher will be rubbish at this.

If you then couple that with the current trend of playing a lone striker in a 4-3-3, having an attacker who cannot drop deep to fill the hole where an AMC would usually play means they will become isolated as they try to maintain the poacher role in playing off the shoulder of the last defender. It's one of the major factors in why Michael Owen went from England first choice to Stoke benchwarmer to unemployed, once injuries had robbed him of his pace, he was no longer effective in the only role he knew how to play, a role not many teams have the luxury of being able to carry defensively.

• Like 1

After a 2-1 away defeat to David Moyes' Spurs, my Man Utd side are currently joint top with Chelsea and Everton in early January. Playing 4-3-3 (4-5-1) and struggling to get my strikers scoring. Hernandez has 7 and Van Persie 10 - Kagawa has 11 from midfield and Rooney 5 from wide. I've had the most joy playing my lone front man as a false 9, but still can't seem to get them scoring consistently.

That said, the team have been fairly consistent as a whole and we've gotten most of our more difficult games out of the way. Brought in Will Hughes from Derby in January for 12 million and may have to play him sooner than expected as Kagawa has gone down for 4 months :(

Noted United fan Will Hughes :shifty: