Football Manager 2014

Dan

I hate getting promoted. I love that I have a huge(er) wage budget but I baulk at the idea of giving anyone 300k a year.

I might just try and see how it goes with my current squad and bulk up in January.

Since I managed to overwrite my existing Man Utd save, I've started again but added a few of the January transfers in. I usually start with the first transfer window off but I've got it on this time and have completely gutted the squad.

In

Sven Bender (£13.5m)

Lars Bender (£24m)

Davide Santon (£11m)

Adam Lallana (£7m)

Alberto Cerri (£825k)

Out

Anderson (£8.5m)

Hernandez (£27.5m offer from Barca too good to turn down)

Young (£7m)

Cleverley (£13m)

Buttner (£1.6m)

Valencia (£11.5m)

Beat Wigan 4-2 in the Community Shield and finished with 9 men as Jones, Rooney and Mata all went off injured. Then, finding out that all 3 would be out for 4-5 weeks, I check what my first league game is. City away. Fabulous. So I took an attacking midfield trio of Adam Lallana, Adnan Januzaj and Shinji Kagawa to the Etihad and somehow came away disappointed at "only" getting a 1-1 draw. Followed that up by thumping Cardiff 5-2 at home, with Lallana scoring twice. I've struggled so far with this year's game to find a formation that works the way I want it to, so it's nice to have one that I'm enjoying. Until an inevitable 2-0 home defeat to bottom of the league comes along! (Probably where I have 12 clear cut chances to their 1 random pot shot from 40 yards).

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Sometimes I really hate this game. I got Orient promoted, made a few decent signings (Marco di Vaio!!) and generally not doing too bad. Except that I've let in last minute equalisers on about 5 occasions out of 14 games. If it wasn't for these last minute lapses, I would be sitting just outside of the play-offs.

Fuck you, game.

Yeah, no matter how good my team is, they almost always let in last minute goals.

I put it down to my team having quite a lot of new signings and not playing well together.

I did just beat Milwall 4-1, so that is nice.

Do you not sit back, reduce tempo etc when you are trying to run a game out?

Yup, almost doing a turtle. Just seem to let in really late goals, might just be coincidence but its happened a lot this season. Good job I'm mid table and not at the bottom >_>

That might be the problem, if you go turtle-like, you will have no outlet and the pressure will keep up. If you only keep one up front, might be wise to bring on an attacker with a high work rate and strength to hold up the ball.

That might be the problem, if you go turtle-like, you will have no outlet and the pressure will keep up. If you only keep one up front, might be wise to bring on an attacker with a high work rate and strength to hold up the ball.

Not quite 1 up front but a defensive 4-4-2 with a defensive forward

My preference is to retain your normal formation (with the same attacking players etc.) but switch either to Counter (if there's still a fair bit of time left) or Contain (if you literally wish them to kill the game off). Defensive is a strange one because, so far as I can tell, they still play with enough urgency to make mistakes and give the ball away...but at the same time will try to do absolutely nothing in attack. I therefore find it a bit of a 'worst of both' halfway option.

My preference is to retain your normal formation (with the same attacking players etc.) but switch either to Counter (if there's still a fair bit of time left) or Contain (if you literally wish them to kill the game off). Defensive is a strange one because, so far as I can tell, they still play with enough urgency to make mistakes and give the ball away...but at the same time will try to do absolutely nothing in attack. I therefore find it a bit of a 'worst of both' halfway option.

I spanked QPR 4-0 away from home in a game I was definitely not the favourite while playing defensive. Lord knows how many fingers I would have had to use to count the score if I was set to attack.