Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

Summ, I do see your points about the whole "this is nothing new, you could do this on PS3!" thing, but for those that want to go next gen, why wouldn't you want to be able to still do those things? I want my nephews to enjoy the games I buy too, free of charge. I don't want to be "always online".

Should these things be a selling point? No, but the XB1's restrictions mean they are, clearly.

The issue is more that they're not giving us much else. If your best selling point is "we're not doing those bad things that the other guy is doing!", that's terrible marketing. It's not selling your product, it's putting down the alternative - and that just makes it look like you're stalling at best, or have nothing to offer, at worst.

And when the main selling points are "it's not that expensive, and it plays PS3 games!"...well, I can think of another console that does that, and I don't have to wait til November for it.

Is MGS5 an Xbox exclusive? Thats pants.

Dead Rising 3! I love me some DR. Need to see a trailer for this.

The price of the Xbox is ridiculous, and not something I really see myself being interested in at all. The PS4 sounds like it's a lot closer to what I want from a games console, and the price is a major incentive, but in the end it'll come down to the games for me I think.

MGS 5 is on both.

Summ, I do see your points about the whole "this is nothing new, you could do this on PS3!" thing, but for those that want to go next gen, why wouldn't you want to be able to still do those things? I want my nephews to enjoy the games I buy too, free of charge. I don't want to be "always online".

Should these things be a selling point? No, but the XB1's restrictions mean they are, clearly.

The issue is more that they're not giving us much else. If your best selling point is "we're not doing those bad things that the other guy is doing!", that's terrible marketing. It's not selling your product, it's putting down the alternative - and that just makes it look like you're stalling at best, or have nothing to offer, at worst.

And when the main selling points are "it's not that expensive, and it plays PS3 games!"...well, I can think of another console that does that, and I don't have to wait til November for it.

Exactly. And while the things the console isn't implementing that the X1 is are indeed good for some people it should be added bonuses. Not main selling points at all.

I read the reveal after seeing some of the things written in here and my first reaction was... "Is that it?"

It sounds fine, but there didn't seem to be anything ground-breaking. But to be honest, what more could we want as gamers? Isn't it about the quality of games more-so then whether X console can turn into an android to get us a beer from the fridge.

I read the reveal after seeing some of the things written in here and my first reaction was... "Is that it?"

It sounds fine, but there didn't seem to be anything ground-breaking. But to be honest, what more could we want as gamers? Isn't it about the quality of games more-so then whether X console can turn into an android to get us a beer from the fridge.

But games wise.. Xbox currently has the edge I'd say. Some fantastic looking stuff on the way. I expected more from Sony's reveal really.

Sony showed a huge amount of games on that presentation. Infamous, Destiny, The Order, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Knack, Oddworld and Drive Club, only naming exclusives. And then you have great multi-platform games like MGS5, Watch Dogs or AC4.

Both consoles shown some great games, I would say.

• Like 2

It's essentially a "lose your own war" deal. People are going to buy either console solely for which games they want to play. It's more if you put stupid restrictions on and the like that might turn people off from buying it.

Anyway. I'm a PC gamer.

• Like 1

Sony showed a huge amount of games on that presentation. Infamous, Destiny, The Order, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Knack, Oddworld and Drive Club, only naming exclusives. And then you have great multi-platform games like MGS5, Watch Dogs or AC4.

Both consoles shown some great games, I would say.

Destiny is listed as coming out on both current gen and both next gen.

It's essentially a "lose your own war" deal. People are going to buy either console solely for which games they want to play. It's more if you put stupid restrictions on and the like that might turn people off from buying it.

Anyway. I'm a PC gamer.

This shocks nobody

But outside of Kinect TV stuff and Skype/dual screen what does the Xbox One do that the PS4 doesn't?

XBox is Microsoft and PS4 is Sony, therefore Xbox wins.

...right, Summ? :shifty:

No? I've never been like that. I've had every Playstation and aside from the 360 I'm not particularly a fan of Microsoft stuff.

It was a joke. It's just you seem very pro-Xbox, that's all.

I mean, for a console that's "an ugly PS3", it seems there's quite a few people on here, who at 9 o'clock last night were seemingly close to putting down a deposit on the XB1 following their presentation, have completely changed their minds and gone for the PS4 instead.

• Like 1

Watch the 2 Sony pressers (the unveil and the E3 stuff)

You've got over 3 hours worth of information available including specs, new features, gameplay etc.

Honestly, if you think the X1 is better after you do then fair enough but for me, the new features I'd probably never use (I used Kinect Video once I think, Skype would have similar treatment. I watch Sky through my TV but my 360 is on my desk so TV stuff isnt important to me) are not worth the extra £80. And then you've got the restrictions. The connecting to the internet doesn't bother me that much but I do like to rent games and that won't be possible until next year if it all on X1 because MS wants to control how we do that.

The gen has been all about the 360 for me but I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to stuff like this l, I jumped ship last gen and I'll do it again this.

• Like 1

So PS4 is cheaper, has no ridiculous innovations that favour publishers greed over consumer rights, has the PS Plus system ongoing, and has FFXV and Infamous as exclusives, whilst X-Box One has Dead Rising as exclusive, a game which I like, but could give or take. Yeah, bye bye any chance of me picking up a XBO over a PS4. I may pick one up down the line when (and I say when, not if) they drop the bullshit restrictions, but I guess for now I'm back to being a Sony guy. Shame, because this gen had really started to convert me to equal love.

Honestly, this isn't even a competition for me, this is a massacre.

It was a joke. It's just you seem very pro-Xbox, that's all.

I mean, for a console that's "an ugly PS3", it seems there's quite a few people on here, who at 9 o'clock last night were seemingly close to putting down a deposit on the XB1 following their presentation, have completely changed their minds and gone for the PS4 instead.

I'm in favour of what's best. The three key negatives of the X1 don't bother me. I don't share games, I'm not fussed on pre owned, backwards compatibility isn't a big deal and I don't care about online always.

It has good games, has evolved from the 360 and looks good.

The ps4 hasn't sold anything to me. Some good games, as expected, but all I can see about what it can do is that it's not doing the things Microsoft are doing. And man, it is ugly.

Them not being Microsoft doesn't interest me. I want to know what Sony can do, not what they think Microsoft has done wrong.

I want the best system for me and my family, couldn't care less what name is on it.

Watch the 2 Sony pressers (the unveil and the E3 stuff)

You've got over 3 hours worth of information available including specs, new features, gameplay etc.

Honestly, if you think the X1 is better after you do then fair enough but for me, the new features I'd probably never use (I used Kinect Video once I think, Skype would have similar treatment. I watch Sky through my TV but my 360 is on my desk so TV stuff isnt important to me) are not worth the extra £80. And then you've got the restrictions. The connecting to the internet doesn't bother me that much but I do like to rent games and that won't be possible until next year if it all on X1 because MS wants to control how we do that.

The gen has been all about the 360 for me but I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to stuff like this l, I jumped ship last gen and I'll do it again this.

I agree. Like I said, don't care who makes it. PS2 beat Xbox and 360 beat PS3. I want what's best. But I've asked in here what the ps4 does and can do and I've seen the same things recycled.

Price.

Pre owned.

Backwards compatibility.

Not always online.

Is that the best selling points?

Said before, I can't watch the vids yet, so am asking for clarity sake.