Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

Pretty much, you can stream games to the internet and record sections just like X1, they have more entertainment stuff and PS+ comes with the awesome looking Drive Club beta at launch.

Plus they've added all the stuff the PS3 should have had like party chat etc.

Pretty much, you can stream games to the internet and record sections just like X1, they have more entertainment stuff and PS+ comes with the awesome looking Drive Club beta at launch.

Plus they've added all the stuff the PS3 should have had like party chat etc.

Party chat is massive to me. I hate multiplayer gaming on the ps3 because it's so primitive in sorting stuff out. Any other info on things added to improve that side of it?

Does it have a nice looking dash/home screen/etc?

Shame the console is ugly though.

What entertainment stuff is there? Most of X1s stuff is gonna be US only I think. The tv stuff.

Watch the 2 Sony pressers (the unveil and the E3 stuff)

You've got over 3 hours worth of information available including specs, new features, gameplay etc.

Honestly, if you think the X1 is better after you do then fair enough but for me, the new features I'd probably never use (I used Kinect Video once I think, Skype would have similar treatment. I watch Sky through my TV but my 360 is on my desk so TV stuff isnt important to me) are not worth the extra £80. And then you've got the restrictions. The connecting to the internet doesn't bother me that much but I do like to rent games and that won't be possible until next year if it all on X1 because MS wants to control how we do that.

The gen has been all about the 360 for me but I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to stuff like this l, I jumped ship last gen and I'll do it again this.

I agree. Like I said, don't care who makes it. PS2 beat Xbox and 360 beat PS3. I want what's best. But I've asked in here what the ps4 does and can do and I've seen the same things recycled.

Price.

Pre owned.

Backwards compatibility.

Not always online.

Is that the best selling points?

I can only speak for myself, like you can, I guess, but for me, they're important selling points.

I want to play next-gen games for the cheapest price possible. PS4 offers that. I want to be able to trade games freely with friends and family. Again, I can do that on PS4.

Some of the "innovations" announced by Microsoft are impressive, but just like the PS4 stuff doesn't appeal to you, the Kinect TV stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't want anything ground-breaking, or "game changing" as these people like to put it, I want a powerful console that allows me to play the latest games at a fair price, and the PS4 has under-cut the XB1 by £80. That's two years worth of plus.

I don't think there's anything Microsoft can do to make me even consider changing my mind now.

• Like 3

To be fair, the PS4 being £80 cheaper, having none of the DRM/pre-owned constraints and not needing to be online every 24 hours is a pretty big selling point for those without a massive amount of disposable cash, who like trading in and saving a bit of money buying pre-owned games and don't have massively reliable internet connections.

I've only read a couple of summaries of the conference but I do like that the PS4 seems to be making it as easy as possible for smaller/indie developers by allowing them to self-publish on it.

Looks don't bother me. The PS4 is pretty ugly but so is the One, it reminds me of one of those Maxibon half-and-half ice creams.

• Like 1

Watch the 2 Sony pressers (the unveil and the E3 stuff)

You've got over 3 hours worth of information available including specs, new features, gameplay etc.

Honestly, if you think the X1 is better after you do then fair enough but for me, the new features I'd probably never use (I used Kinect Video once I think, Skype would have similar treatment. I watch Sky through my TV but my 360 is on my desk so TV stuff isnt important to me) are not worth the extra £80. And then you've got the restrictions. The connecting to the internet doesn't bother me that much but I do like to rent games and that won't be possible until next year if it all on X1 because MS wants to control how we do that.

The gen has been all about the 360 for me but I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to stuff like this l, I jumped ship last gen and I'll do it again this.

I agree. Like I said, don't care who makes it. PS2 beat Xbox and 360 beat PS3. I want what's best. But I've asked in here what the ps4 does and can do and I've seen the same things recycled.

Price.

Pre owned.

Backwards compatibility.

Not always online.

Is that the best selling points?

I can only speak for myself, like you can, I guess, but for me, they're important selling points.

I want to play next-gen games for the cheapest price possible. PS4 offers that. I want to be able to trade games freely with friends and family. Again, I can do that on PS4.

Some of the "innovations" announced by Microsoft are impressive, but just like the PS4 stuff doesn't appeal to you, the Kinect TV stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't want anything ground-breaking, or "game changing" as these people like to put it, I want a powerful console that allows me to play the latest games at a fair price, and the PS4 has under-cut the XB1 by £80. That's two years worth of plus.

I don't think there's anything Microsoft can do to make me even consider changing my mind now.

Jetpack Blowjobs?

• Like 1

Summ, I do see your points about the whole "this is nothing new, you could do this on PS3!" thing, but for those that want to go next gen, why wouldn't you want to be able to still do those things? I want my nephews to enjoy the games I buy too, free of charge. I don't want to be "always online".

Should these things be a selling point? No, but the XB1's restrictions mean they are, clearly.

The issue is more that they're not giving us much else. If your best selling point is "we're not doing those bad things that the other guy is doing!", that's terrible marketing. It's not selling your product, it's putting down the alternative - and that just makes it look like you're stalling at best, or have nothing to offer, at worst.

And when the main selling points are "it's not that expensive, and it plays PS3 games!"...well, I can think of another console that does that, and I don't have to wait til November for it.

Thing is that it's not bad marketing, it's brilliant. The two are going to be in direct competition, and most people buying at the Christmas period will only be buying one of the two.

Since there's very few exclusives these days, it makes absolute sense that since both will be released around Christmas, people would choose one or the other based on what each console does or doesn't do. As I say, most people buying on launch day will pick one or the other, and thanks to Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot, PS4 will probably get the buys over XBO, because they'll share most games for the most part. People looking for innovations are kidding themselves, innovation is good, but in terms of games it is largely a gimmick - just look at how many Wii's wound up collecting dust a year or two after they were bought.

Before this generation, the only innovation you needed was better hardware and software, and that served the industry great for nearly two decades. If the only improvement Sony makes is that the games look better and play smoother, they can take all the time they want to implement the small changes in the right ways like they have a history of doing.

• Like 1

My biggest issue is I'm looking for reasons to pick one. The ps4 would be better due to the low price. So I want to know why it's better, that way I wouldn't be tempted by the more expensive X1.

The best exclusives look like Titanfall and Halo stuff, annoyingly.

I'm with Baddar on this - you gloss over those points like they're minor when they're actually pretty huge. I don't buy this bullshit about 'Sony is just not doing the stuff Microsoft is' when it comes to the consoles selling points. The main thing there is that they are NOT doing it, for those interested that becomes a selling point as a feature on a system that they would prefer.

• Like 2

It's E3 people. Just enjoy the fucking games. This happens every fucking time

Jesus.

The whole point of E3 is that companies pitch products to us. Why are we not allowed to discuss the products they're pitching? Or is it only okay if the discussion amounts to "WOW NEW GAME LOOKS PRETTY" or "BUT KIEFER SUTHERLAND'S FACE!", and not okay if it amounts to "I'm not entirely convinced by your sales pitch?"

What is that "happens every fucking time" that's a problem, just so I'm clear on this?

Thing is that it's not bad marketing, it's brilliant.

There's something I got taught in marketing class; you'll always see a company like Subway take pot-shots at a company like McDonalds. You'll never see it the other way around.

When your best move is to point out what the other guy can't do, and not what you can, it makes you look bush league, and it makes you look like you've nothing left to offer. No one ever does it from a position of strength.

There was an article on Cracked a few months back about "nice guys" that I'm sure you've read, as it got a reasonable amount of discussion here - that so many self-proclaimed "nice guys" have nothing to offer, but they think they're "nice guys" because they don't objectify women, they don't behave in a certain way. If the best you can offer is that you're not as bad as something terrible, then don't blame me if I'm left wanting.

"Doesn't have the same restrictions as X-Box One" isn't a selling point. It's a reason not to buy the X-Box One, it's not a reason to buy the PS4. It's working on the assumption that you have to buy one or the other which, fair enough, is the mindset some people have. Currently, I haven't seen enough to sell the PS4 to me - what's it got to offer me, as an undecided consumer? What if X-Box One hadn't had such restrictions posed on it - what would the PS4 have marketed itself on then? Their marketing starts to look a little thin without it.

• Like 1

Summ, I do see your points about the whole "this is nothing new, you could do this on PS3!" thing, but for those that want to go next gen, why wouldn't you want to be able to still do those things? I want my nephews to enjoy the games I buy too, free of charge. I don't want to be "always online".

Should these things be a selling point? No, but the XB1's restrictions mean they are, clearly.

The issue is more that they're not giving us much else. If your best selling point is "we're not doing those bad things that the other guy is doing!", that's terrible marketing. It's not selling your product, it's putting down the alternative - and that just makes it look like you're stalling at best, or have nothing to offer, at worst.

And when the main selling points are "it's not that expensive, and it plays PS3 games!"...well, I can think of another console that does that, and I don't have to wait til November for it.

Thing is that it's not bad marketing, it's brilliant. The two are going to be in direct competition, and most people buying at the Christmas period will only be buying one of the two.

Since there's very few exclusives these days, it makes absolute sense that since both will be released around Christmas, people would choose one or the other based on what each console does or doesn't do. As I say, most people buying on launch day will pick one or the other, and thanks to Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot, PS4 will probably get the buys over XBO, because they'll share most games for the most part. People looking for innovations are kidding themselves, innovation is good, but in terms of games it is largely a gimmick - just look at how many Wii's wound up collecting dust a year or two after they were bought.

Before this generation, the only innovation you needed was better hardware and software, and that served the industry great for nearly two decades. If the only improvement Sony makes is that the games look better and play smoother, they can take all the time they want to implement the small changes in the right ways like they have a history of doing.

I'm not kidding myself. While both my consoles play games they also have other uses in my house.

360 is used by the kids a lot for Sky, and us on odd occasion.

PS3 is the family bluray player, and also used to stream downloaded stuff from my laptop to the tv.

So whichever I get needs to fit into the dynamic we use them for - and if it would improve upon those uses then that's even better.

Another thing I haven't even mentioned yet is that I own a Vita, and whilst support for it hasn't been great up to now, the fact I can stream any of my PS4 games on it, is a bonus.

Will I use that feature much? Probably not when I've got a 40'' TV in front of me, and I'm guessing you have to be "within range" of your PS4 to do it, but the fact it acts as a second screen to display maps etc. like the Wii U thing does, is something I'll definitely use.

"Doesn't have the same restrictions as X-Box One" isn't a selling point. It's a reason not to buy the X-Box One, it's not a reason to buy the PS4. It's working on the assumption that you have to buy one or the other which, fair enough, is the mindset some people have. Currently, I haven't seen enough to sell the PS4 to me - what's it got to offer me, as an undecided consumer? What if X-Box One hadn't had such restrictions posed on it - what would the PS4 have marketed itself on then? Their marketing starts to look a little thin without it.

This is how I feel about it currently.

I don't need reasons to not buy an X1, I want reasons to get a ps4.

Jesus.

The whole point of E3 is that companies pitch products to us. Why are we not allowed to discuss the products they're pitching? Or is it only okay if the discussion amounts to "WOW NEW GAME LOOKS PRETTY" or "BUT KIEFER SUTHERLAND'S FACE!", and not okay if it amounts to "I'm not entirely convinced by your sales pitch?"

No, you've misread my point. My point isn't don't challenge companies for their bullshit. I have my fair share of problems with all the consoles and the conferences. But derailing threads into annoying arguments between 2 people that go on for pages? Yeah, fuck that

What is that "happens every fucking time" that's a problem, just so I'm clear on this?

Legitimate discussions about something turning into mindless console wars. But of I course i'm the odd one out here because I don't pledge an allegiance to a fucking video game company. Because I actually enjoy this fucking show.

Does the ps4 come with the eye/motion stuff?

Jesus.

No, you've misread my point. My point isn't don't challenge companies for their bullshit. I have my fair share of problems with all the consoles and the conferences. But derailing threads into annoying arguments between 2 people that go on for pages? Yeah, fuck that

Legitimate discussions about something turning into mindless console wars. But of I course i'm the odd one out here because I don't pledge an allegiance to a fucking video game company. Because I actually enjoy this fucking show.

You read any posts? No one is arguing, or even really has brand allegiance.