Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

The 360's dashboard was good until about 3 years ago.

I find it slow loading, even when I turn the console on I have to wait around a minute while it loads up and signs me in, then going to the Games menu is another chunk of loading times.

Then they started putting ads all over the place which obviously doesn't help with loading times.

The 360's dashboard was good until about 3 years ago.

I find it slow loading, even when I turn the console on I have to wait around a minute while it loads up and signs me in, then going to the Games menu is another chunk of loading times.

Then they started putting ads all over the place which obviously doesn't help with loading times.

The ads have gotten REALLY annoying.

Also, didn't realize Killer Instinct was a free-to-play game. That's good! But you only get one character and have to buy the rest. That's bad...

Oh, yeah. It's still better than the PS3's, though. Which is why the PS4 dash has evolved into an Xbox looking thing, as opposed to staying with what they had. A good move.

& oh god, I'm so bored of the anti-Xbox stuff on facebook now. Silly things like this. It doesn't just do games! It does netflix, redbox, tv, films, social networking. & all of that is good. If it just did games, nothing else, it'd be terrible in todays market!

I've never really had an issue with the ads on the Xbox dash. I mean, sure it sucks that they're there if you're a Gold sub but they're normally only ever little squares right in the bottom corner that only make noise if you choose to hover over them. That and you can technically block them if you're bothered enough to go fiddle with your IP/DNS type things.

Both systems are generally fine for moving through and finding what you want but I do find the PS store to be quite clunky and slow. Stuff like looking at trophies too is quite slow and that's without adding the need for it to sync seemingly every time. Of course, it's then we start getting into the realms of the updates and game updates which are infinitely slower on PS4.

But these systems never really felt as powerful as they make themselves out to be in regards to some entertainment stuff. Like, loading iPlayer or YouTube on Xbox just seems really slow. That needs to be improved for the next gen, especially since Xbox have made a big deal for it's entertainment qualities.

Uhm, hell yes I do. It's hundreds of whatever currency yr spending, why wouldn't you want it to look good?

I didn't say I didn't want it to look good. I said I don't care how it looks. It sits on a shelf on my TV stand barely getting looked at. Its not a car. I still don't get it, but it seems I just have different requirements from my console. I'm not standing it proudly on display so I don't give a toss. Maybe other people do have it on display. As far as I'm concerned I'm not spending hundreds of quid on the look of the things, so if it looks nice its kind of a bonus I guess, but its nto want I'm paying for or even looking for.

As for dash, fuck to the yes. It's a massive part of your console. Your homepage, your gateway.

No its not. Maybe its a big thing to other people's consoles but it's sure not for mine. Its the thing that's there till my game or whatever loads. Games load automatically when I put them in the desk drive, I know where i-player is and YouTube (the YouTube XL is a bit shit but I figure that's not console specific) and the PS Network's pretty easy to find stuff. I can see why people might pay attention to these things for the first week maybe, but after that? Nah.

But like I said, different people want different things from their consoles, I genuinely don't give a shit about looks but cheers for trying to explain. I just wanted to know why people did.

• Like 1

I spend about 10 seconds on my PSN XMB. Then I just load up the game and continue my life not caring what it looks like.

They're basically the same console. They look a bit different. The only reason to get one over the other is price and lack of bullshit features. Unless you really like TV or can't stand the idea of not getting some exclusives. I'll probably buy both in the end this time around. But I'm infinitely more excited about the PS4 because they made it pretty clear that they're in this for the gamer.

Also:

There's nothing on the ps xmb. That's why. Xbox dash is full of stuff. New PS4 one will be similar.

Great, more stuff for me to ignore entirely when I just load up my PS4/Xbox One, hit "Play Game" and carry on not caring at all about it the home page. :P

• Like 6

Little late, but I just saw the video from the conference concerning used games/checking in online. What an absolute annihilation by Sony :P I'm a 360 guy, but there's no way I'm going to choose Xbox-One over the PS4. Really great watching the video as the President and CEO repeatedly gets cut off by people cheering.

Edited by Ty123

Unless you're a huge fan of Halo, I don't see any reason to buy an Xbox One right now. I loved the 360, but this whole reveal has been nothing short of embarrassing. Restricting used games, killing rentals, not allowing friends to borrow games, turning one of thee most requested sequels ever into a free-to-play micro transaction game... Pitiful.

The free games on Gold is a nice touch, especially if it continues on One, they had to do something there, but Fable 3, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed 2? PS+ has free games that are just months-old. The program is young so I'll reserve judgment, but they're not exactly on par with PS+ giving away Sleeping Dogs last month.

Microsoft handed this gen over to Sony, especially if Sony got its act together with online play, which it appears they have. The only thing the One has going for it is Microsoft seems to be planning for the major shifts that are about to hit home entertainment. I think they're maybe a little too ahead of the curve there, which is probably why they cozied up to the cable companies instead of going for their throats. They're onto something there and if consumers bite, they may just push Sony into Nintendo territory of niche gaming while they dominate your entire living room. Big gamble though.

I looked like a total idiot last night. I cheered when that was announced :P

Right here is why Sony did more than just say "Hey, at least we're not Xbox!".

No one likes the idea of Xbox's always online, no used games DRM bullshit. Microsoft for the most part have entirely avoided giving many straight answers for the longest time now. What better way to appeal to every gamer that has these questions than by giving answers? That's why people cheered. Someone gave us some answers and they were the ones we wanted to hear. That's not to say Sony hasn't been keeping some things to themselves (EU release dates & them barely mentioning needing PS+), but in comparison it makes them look like nothing at all.

• Like 1

I just can't grasp the criticism of Sony. They presented the console as expected with specs etc weeks ago, but then Microsoft offered them the easiest easy win of all time so they took it. The general reaction to the XBOs online and used games stuff was negative everywhere, and even on here which is comparatively sane there were comments expecting Sony to do the same. By announcing they weren't they won over a lot of mental early adopters in one fell swoop, whereas folk like me will pick one up in two years as per usual.

• Like 2

The part that baffles me the most is the people saying "WHEN DID NOT ALWAYS BEING ONLINE AND NOT BEING ANTI-USED GAMES BECOME A SELLING POINT?"

Uhm... around the time the other major console decided to be always online and anti-used games? And people said "I don't like that, I'm not going to buy a console that has those features!"

• Like 4

Pretty sure I wasn't talking about what Skummy was, though. He's talking about to the average consumer who could live without the next gen console. I'm talking about those of us who are going to buy at least one. Not to mention he pretty much agreed that it's a great way to spin it for a PR win for them.

• Like 1

Skummy has addressed them, but I also feel, that if a console is taking away these abilities to share games, etc, then it is a pretty big deal that another huge company, who could have gone the same way, haven't. It is a massive selling point for me, and whilst it isn't ground breaking, it still has to be seen as a selling point, and one worth marketing - even if it is a PS3/Xbox360 feature.