Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

But it's not career suicide. It's how it is for Microsoft now. It isn't even private. It's very open and public, if you can't connect to the net daily you can't use the 1.

But that's the thing though... even people who have internet connections at home won't necessarily have them up every day ever. Individual houses can and do lose internet for entire days because ISP server just forgets their house exists (I've had it happen to me several times). Not to mention people don't always have ready internet when they move. Saying "well, you're SOL then" is a callous, short-sighted way of doing business that'll bite you in the ass one way or another.

People in Microsoft don't lose their jobs over this today, they will eventually.

How can they check though? Sony aren't putting in any Online checks so the publishers couldn't know if I bought a game preowned and played it offline.

Tell places like EB Games/Gamestop that they're not allowed to take the games in as used? I assume something like that. It would effectively stop retail used gaming but on sites like Kijiji or Craigslist...

How can they check though? Sony aren't putting in any Online checks so the publishers couldn't know if I bought a game preowned and played it offline.

Tell places like EB Games/Gamestop that they're not allowed to take the games in as used? I assume something like that. It would effectively stop retail used gaming but on sites like Kijiji or Craigslist...

And EG Games and Gamestop would likely just laugh in their faces.

That's not how that kind of stuff works though. The XBO itself can only be sold through certain retailers, for example. If the system is in place, the company would have to abide by the rules - and if Gamestop decides to go against that, they might lose exclusives, new copies of the game, etc.

But yeah - that's just in theory. I am sure it's in the interest of everyone that the companies just opt into used gaming like standard.

No chance in hell would

That's not how that kind of stuff works though. The XBO itself can only be sold through certain retailers, for example. If the system is in place, the company would have to abide by the rules - and if Gamestop decides to go against that, they might lose exclusives, new copies of the game, etc.

But yeah - that's just in theory. I am sure it's in the interest of everyone that the companies just opt into used gaming like standard.

No chance in hell. If Gamestop is selling used games, there will always be new games in their stores. A publisher would never do that, unless they were dumb. They want to stop used games sales, but if used games are being sold in stores, they want their new games in the stores as well.

No chance in hell would

No chance in hell. If Gamestop is selling used games, there will always be new games in their stores. A publisher would never do that, unless they were dumb. They want to stop used games sales, but if used games are being sold in stores, they want their new games in the stores as well.

Game stores have issues with publishers all the time. EA can choose to no longer let a store sell their games, they did it to Gamestation for a while.

And Nintendo are doing pretty much the same thing to HMV now. Depending on the deal between the store and the supplier it isn't always as straightforward as "they need stores selling their product".

EA can choose to do whatever, but it is a stupid move and they won't do it unless they know they can put used game stores out of business. Publishers hate used game sales, but they also know the value of shelf space and of making your games accessible. If Gamestation has stores open and is selling used games, EA is going to want to be in that store with their new products.

That's basically what EA was doing with their online pass for multiplayer, yeah.

Yeah, my thinking is there's nothing stopping them from putting this in place for single player games. That seems more likely than threatening game stores or just not putting games out for PS4.