Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

Pretty sure I wasn't talking about what Skummy was, though. He's talking about to the average consumer who could live without the next gen console. I'm talking about those of us who are going to buy at least one. Not to mention he pretty much agreed that it's a great way to spin it for a PR win for them.

It's a bad marketing strategy, but it'll work very well.. which makes it good marketing.

So publishers and developers could just make all games to the limitations set by the X1 basically.

Thats what it sounds like. Sony said they wont do it for their own games but other publishers can I guess

Skummy explained all the things you're complaining about. A couple of times in fact.

Skummy explained but almost dismissed his own 'its only a selling point if you must have one or the other' by stating that he didn't need to. The 'Hardcore gamer' market is a two horse race (Nintendo sell brilliantly well and are ace, but are almost a separate product to the other two) and both Sony and Microsoft are aware that a lot of people, particularly the early adopters they're pointing E3 at for Christmas, are going to buy one or the other, so stating you don't have a horrendously negative feature is clearly a good option. If Sonys joypads were covered in painful spikes I'm fairly sure Microsoft would have mentioned that too.

Those who aren't crazily excited over one or the other aren't likely to buy a shiny new console at launch price, so the competitive strategy makes perfect sense. This isn't Wimpy slating McDonalds, this is two fairly even brands aiming for a competitive advantage that Sony clearly now have.

Edited by Colly
  • Like 1

Unless you're a huge fan of Halo, I don't see any reason to buy an Xbox One right now. I loved the 360, but this whole reveal has been nothing short of embarrassing. Restricting used games, killing rentals, not allowing friends to borrow games, turning one of thee most requested sequels ever into a free-to-play micro transaction game... Pitiful.

The free games on Gold is a nice touch, especially if it continues on One, they had to do something there, but Fable 3, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed 2? PS+ has free games that are just months-old. The program is young so I'll reserve judgment, but they're not exactly on par with PS+ giving away Sleeping Dogs last month.

Microsoft handed this gen over to Sony, especially if Sony got its act together with online play, which it appears they have. The only thing the One has going for it is Microsoft seems to be planning for the major shifts that are about to hit home entertainment. I think they're maybe a little too ahead of the curve there, which is probably why they cozied up to the cable companies instead of going for their throats. They're onto something there and if consumers bite, they may just push Sony into Nintendo territory of niche gaming while they dominate your entire living room. Big gamble though.

What sequel are you referring to?

Unless you're a huge fan of Halo, I don't see any reason to buy an Xbox One right now. I loved the 360, but this whole reveal has been nothing short of embarrassing. Restricting used games, killing rentals, not allowing friends to borrow games, turning one of thee most requested sequels ever into a free-to-play micro transaction game... Pitiful.

The free games on Gold is a nice touch, especially if it continues on One, they had to do something there, but Fable 3, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed 2? PS+ has free games that are just months-old. The program is young so I'll reserve judgment, but they're not exactly on par with PS+ giving away Sleeping Dogs last month.

Microsoft handed this gen over to Sony, especially if Sony got its act together with online play, which it appears they have. The only thing the One has going for it is Microsoft seems to be planning for the major shifts that are about to hit home entertainment. I think they're maybe a little too ahead of the curve there, which is probably why they cozied up to the cable companies instead of going for their throats. They're onto something there and if consumers bite, they may just push Sony into Nintendo territory of niche gaming while they dominate your entire living room. Big gamble though.

A page back - Killer Instinct comes with one character. You have to buy the rest.

It leaves a question on the publishers, though, in terms of judging the offline base. It's certainly an outright backpedal worthy of making me suddenly wary about the PS4, but it also creates a greater question to the publisher on if single player games need online DRM. And if there's a big enough offline base, the publishers won't exactly be going the DRM direction.

A page back - Killer Instinct comes with one character. You have to buy the rest.

:lol: Seriously?!? I didn't want it anyway but thats just ridiculous

Aaaaand officially pre-ordered the PS4.

I'll probably do that Friday when I go grab Last Of Us.

My friend said there was limited slots for launch day (they only had 6 for XBO) so I pretty much had to get it today, but hey. I'm getting one.

• Like 1

Wow, that's ridiculous.

I can't see any reason to buy an XBO over a PS4. Even if I was a Sony hater and refused to buy a PS4, I think I'd just go with a gaming PC instead of an XBO.

Yes, I was talking Killer Instinct. I knew not to get my hopes up for it since Rare can't make games anymore, but still very disappointing.

The new devs have a vast history of game making, though. I'm sure it's in capable hands with the guys that made the Battleship game.

And yeah, the power being with the publishers is not looking good. I can see this creating a lot of drama when someone, not naming any names (EA!), bites the bullet and puts the restrictions on a PS4 game. But some of the best games for the PS3 were from Sony, so at the very least you don't have to worry about Naughty Dog and the other Sony devs' next games featuring that kind of DRM.

Wow, that's ridiculous.

I can't see any reason to buy an XBO over a PS4. Even if I was a Sony hater and refused to buy a PS4, I think I'd just go with a gaming PC instead of an XBO.

Valid point that. Few weeks ago I was considering just getting a gaming pc instead of anything. Had the ps3 been priced similar to the xbox I'd probably be planning the parts now.

No more xbox laaaaads.

We're all going to be playstation laaaads.

It's going to be so strange! Before the reveals, I never would have predicted the majority the EWB 360 crew would be going for PS4.

• Like 2