NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

The purpose of the draft is to make the bad teams better, and this would defeat that. Tanking is overblown, honestly. A GM can intentionally field a bad team, but I don't think players are intentionally tanking so the organization can draft a guy that could take one of their jobs. The lottery already assures that simply tanking won't get you the first overall pick anyway. I'm all for a new format, but this isn't it. The wheel format would favor the big market teams to the point of being ridiculous.

Like DYSI said, you'd have the issue of a potential LBJ type prospect ducking the draft because a team like Memphis picks this year and a big market team picks first next year. And could you imagine if the Heat got the number one pick right now? How fair would that be? Not to mention that if a team drafts a bust with their top pick, they won't see another one for years.A big market team could fix that with free agency, but the smaller markets would be fucked. I think it would just screw up the competitive balance further and teams like LA, Miami, Chicago, etc. would dominate with a mix of high power free agents and top picks. There needs to be some type of compensation for teams that lose their stars in free agency. I know sign-and-trade deals exist, but something like how the MLB does with compensation picks from the team signing the star would be ideal.

And Damshow mentioned the Nets getting fucked over, but that's what happens when you mortgage your future and try to build a championship team over night.

Last time I checked the Nets still have a shot, they haven't lost all year. :shifty:

I think it's less big market/small market (especially given that a lot of big market teams are really struggling this year) and more owners not being willing to pay the tax and GMs not knowing how to build a team.

I guess if that's the best the Cavs can do it will have to go. Apparently a top 10 protected for the next two years 1st rounder (from Sac) is in there, which could be great in 3 years.

I think it will help Cleveland in the short term, but long term there's nothing special about Deng.

I personally don't like the deal but meh what can you do... Deng helps Cleveland alot whereas the bulls really only save some cash and get 2 2nd round picks...

2014 first round draft pick from Sacramento

Sacramento's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-12 in 2014, 1-10 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016 or 1-10 in 2017; if Sacramento has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Cleveland by 2017, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Cleveland will be extinguished) [Cleveland-Sacramento, 6/30/2011]

That's what I could find on the 1st going in the deal and in all likelihood I just don't see the bulls getting a 1st out of this lol

So how long now until Miami snap Bynum up?

Edited by phatman

Don't see Houston doing it... They've got Parsons, don't really need Deng... Just doesn't make any sense...

I think Deng is definitely the type of player that Cleveland need at the moment and he'll help out a great deal... He has no problem been the second or third option on a team and he contributes in alot of areas... I've never been a fan but he fits here... I think they'll get rid of Waiters soon as well but even if they don't, I think this deal puts them back into a good spot to finish around the 4-6 in the eastern conference...

I need to go to more Grizzlies games. The ticket prices are pretty reasonable, although I think they've gone up slightly since they stopped sucking total ass. I think my last game was around '09.

I figured upper level seats would suck, I was pleasantly surprised. There's a bunch of cheap games coming up, so I'm sure I'll go to another before season's end.