NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

I read the Sixers nabbed a total of 5 2nd-round picks today through all their deals. That's fucking impressive, they're really doing one of the best rebuilds I've seen.

And while Turner is the centerpiece of that deal and a very good acquisition for the Pacers I'm not gonna discredit the depth added with Lavoy Allen either.

Wizards got Andre Miller today. So very meh on that. We're pushing hard for a nice run of 1st round exits over the next few years baby!

The Pistons did jack and shit, and jack left town. I think Dumars is on borrowed time, and it sort of makes me sad. I'll come back to that in a minute.

Rumor is, we had offers for Josh Smith that would have given us expiring deals in the process. Why not make that move? Why not blow this stupid three big man bullshit out of the water, and get a free pass for a stupid free agent signing? I liked the Smith signing initially, and I still think he is a good player that can add to a good team. Problem is, we already have a great front court for the future, and we simply can not go forward with Monroe and Smith on the team. Both guys are too good for the bench, but both need to be in the paint, but you can not have the two of them on the court while also having Drummond in the middle. If we dumped him for expiring deals, that's fine, you get more cap room for now and the future, you can re-sign Moose easily, and a few rentals for Smith might have been enough to get us into the playoffs (addition by subtraction kids). Now, we're probably going to hover around that 9th or 10th seed spot and also lose our draft pick to the Bobcats in what looks to be a very deep lottery.

I love Joe Dumars. He was a great fucking Detroit Piston. He saved this franchise from mediocrity and brought home a championship in 2004 with some masterful wheeling and dealing. He made us relevant for most of the 2000s, and I absolutely loved watching our team grind out this ridiculously low scoring defensive battles. With that said, it's obvious that he has lost his touch. His draft picks haven't been awful, but he has completely fucked up on his free agent signings and this team has just gone nowhere in the last six years. He needs to go, and we need to find somebody that can make moves and adapt to the current climate of the NBA. I have heard some people clamoring for Phil Jackson after his advising on our coaching search, and I'd be willing to kick the tires on him as a potential GM. I highly doubt he'd be up for it (come on, Phil Jackson as a Pistons GM? After the wars we had with the Bulls in the 80s? After we annihilated the Lakers dynasty in 04?), still, it's interesting and he must have some tie to Tom Gores (our owner) if he was involved with our coaching search.

Jason Collins played last night for the Brooklyn Nets, becoming the first openly gay male to play in one of the 'big 4' leagues in the US, and I can tell you that I believe that a man like Collins belongs nowhere near a NBA court!

I mean, he couldn't even score on the Lakers!

In all seriousness, it's a landmark moment in sports history, and I hope it leads to even wider acceptance of the LBGT community, although things like the recent law in Arizona show just how far we have to go.

• Like 3

Wouldn't shock me in the least to find out Adam Silver pushed a team to give a 10 day contract before Michael Sam was drafted so they could be first. Still believe he has no place in the NBA based on what he offers. I think coming out was a last ditch effort at relevancy.