NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

Are the Wizards any good? I assumed we were playing the Nets and now not so much

We're pretty good but the matchup against Chicago is a nightmare. A good defense will beat a good offense every time, and that's what will happen in this series.

Also, Carmelo really sounds like a guy who believes he has played his last game for the Knicks.

If they play in the East, and are north of Miami, the answer is no.

So wrong it's hilarious

The NINTH best team in the West, Phoenix, has the same record as Toronto and Chicago, the THIRD and FOURTH best teams in the East. Indiana, who hasn't really been the same since trading Danny Granger, would be fourth in the West, while Miami, the best team in the East, might not even have home court in the West.

I like the way Chicago plays as much as anyone, Noah is amazing, and what they've done without Rose and after trading Deng is admirable, but they wouldn't be a playoff team in the West, and I have little faith in Indiana at this point.

The only thing that's 'hilarious' is the Eastern Conference.

And the Lakers.

• Like 1

So wrong it's hilarious

The NINTH best team in the West, Phoenix, has the same record as Toronto and Chicago, the THIRD and FOURTH best teams in the East. Indiana, who hasn't really been the same since trading Danny Granger, would be fourth in the West, while Miami, the best team in the East, might not even have home court in the West.

I like the way Chicago plays as much as anyone, Noah is amazing, and what they've done without Rose and after trading Deng is admirable, but they wouldn't be a playoff team in the West, and I have little faith in Indiana at this point.

And the Lakers.

I didn't compare them to the west. I just think the idea that if you are from the east and not Miami then you must be shit is wrong

Did anyone watch the Bad Boy's 30 for 30 tonight? As someone that had his dad giving him his first bottle as the microwave clinched the 2nd championship, it was a great education. My parent's have raised me on stories about them, and this just added to them. I loved it.

So wrong it's hilarious

And the Lakers.

I didn't compare them to the west. I just think the idea that if you are from the east and not Miami then you must be shit is wrong

They're not shit, but they're so far behind the west it's crazy. If the east were a little more competitive, Miami might actually care a little more about the season. Right now though it's just cringeworthy to watch a game between the 7th and 8th seeded team in the east, for example, because everything feels slower compared to the west. There really is a lot of terrible basketball there, especially from 7th downwards.

I honestly just wish they'd do that. Balance the schedule so you play everybody twice (so there's 58 games) and then you play half the league one season and the other half the next. Then just let the sixteen best records in and seed them #1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15, and so on. The NBA post-season always aggravates the shit out of me, because they should only have, at most, twelve teams in the damn tournament anyway.

Whenever people try to say the NFL or MLB need to expand their playoffs, this stupid set-up is what I point to to defend why they shouldn't.

Why should they expand their playoffs?

Either way, I've always considering the winner of a season more credible than those who win a playoff, because it's harder to win a season than a knockout stage tournament.

Kinda' like how people were saying about it being more satisfying to win the Premier League over the Champions League.

Although this could be stemming from me being a Spurs fan :P

Winning a playoff when it features 7-game series makes it pretty significant, much more than a home-and-home aggregate or single-game knockout.

But the reasons for separating conferences by geography basically have gone out the window. Teams make west coast trips in the regular season now already, there would be no difference if conferences were merged. It used to mean something decades ago when a west coast trip was a much more time-consuming and expensive journey, and when teams weren't rich enough to afford the biggest and best hotel service. Plus journalists and media can't complain anymore since the internet means everyone has coverage of the games.

East

Pacers in 6

Heat in 4

Nets in 6

Bulls in 5

Pacers in 7

Nets in 7

Nets in 6

West

Spurs in 6

Thunder in 5

Warriors in 7