NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

Seriously, it's amazing the Grizzlies are as decent as they are given a long, long history of horrible draft mistakes they've made over the years. They always find a way to screw up a good pick.

For the record, a lot of teams had Darko going that high. Bosh would have been ideal, may have earned us another ring or two.

Hush. You guys got a ring anyway. :P

Plus, what happened to the OKC Thunder theory of a young team has to "suffer" before breaking the ceiling? To be completely honest, this year was the first the Pacers were considered an elite team. Maybe they had to go through a season like this to learn how to play with pressure?

....or was that theory just ESPN fodder for "don't blame Kevin Durant for failing, so here is an excuse for why he failed".

It's nothing ESPN created or that was specific to the Thunder. Most of the great team of the 80s and 90s and had to get over a "hump" before they really dominated. For the Celtics it was the Sixers. For the Lakers it was the Celtics. For the Pistons it was the Celtics (then the Lakers). For the Bulls it was the Pistons. Even Shaq & Kobe took 4 years to win a title.

But the Thunder's window pretty much closed when they traded James Harden. They need to do something big to get a title while they can to either win a title or to entice Durant to stay, because he's most likely gone in 2 years and Westbrook will be gone the year after that.

Plus, what happened to the OKC Thunder theory of a young team has to "suffer" before breaking the ceiling? To be completely honest, this year was the first the Pacers were considered an elite team. Maybe they had to go through a season like this to learn how to play with pressure?

....or was that theory just ESPN fodder for "don't blame Kevin Durant for failing, so here is an excuse for why he failed".

It's nothing ESPN created or that was specific to the Thunder. Most of the great team of the 80s and 90s and had to get over a "hump" before they really dominated. For the Celtics it was the Sixers. For the Lakers it was the Celtics. For the Pistons it was the Celtics (then the Lakers). For the Bulls it was the Pistons. Even Shaq & Kobe took 4 years to win a title.

But the Thunder's window pretty much closed when they traded James Harden. They need to do something big to get a title while they can to either win a title or to entice Durant to stay, because he's most likely gone in 2 years and Westbrook will be gone the year after that.

Wilt had to get over the Celtics hump with both the Sixers and then the Lakers. And that's the 2nd (or 3rd I guess thanks to James) greatest player of all time who also happened to be on a team with Elgin Baylor and Jerry West and never win a ring together.

But I don't think OKC's window has closed. They blew the Harden trade (especially with the cap situation nowadays), having a 20-point scorer off the bench would have made the difference in this series. But Reggie Jackson and Steven Adams will only get better. Their biggest problems are Brooks' play calling (if we even call it that), Westbrook playing hero ball, and Durant being fine just fading into the background in big moments. He doesn't have that "MY team" mentality that Jordan had, that Shaq and Kobe had at the same time on the same team, and that LeBron finally developed in 2012. As much as we credit Duncan with being the ultimate team player he doesn't shy away from going "okay Manu, okay Tony, I'm taking over here" when needed. I have no idea if Durant is leaving, but Westbrook leaving seems pretty certain. With the cap continuing its meteoric rise the Thunder would have the money to bring in some good free agents and, who knows, maybe be able to divorce themselves from the albatross that is Kendrick Perkins.

The west is a conference that will be decided by the Kawhi Leonard's of the world for the next few years. The players who aren't the stars but add enough to the team to get them the win. Though, Leonard is close to crossing into the star category. Who knows what signings or draft picks LA, Golden State, Portland, Dallas, Houston might make this offseason that will get them over the hump.

• Like 1

I think Faried is going to explode soon enough. Back in the Melo days I was a huge Nuggets fan (the Cuse crossover) and after he left they just fell off. Camby, K-Mart, Boykins, those guys were good but Denver just fell behind on the times. Hopefully Faried brings that fire back to Denver.

Lakers are apparently interested in Derek Fisher now as well. I think Phil is cursed by his own success. All it takes is for him to want a guy and then other teams take interest.

All-NBA Teams:

First:

Chris Paul

James Harden

LeBron James

Kevin Durant

Joakim Noah

Second:

Stephen Curry

Tony Paker

Blake Griffin

Kevin Love

Dwight Howard

Third:

Goran Dragic

Damian Lillard

Paul George

LaMarcus Alridge

Al Jefferson

Definitely tought Big Al was better than Howard and Noah.

• Like 1

Spurs should win tonight but I expect the Heat to win the series in 6

That's exactly what I think. Spurs win game one. Heat take game two. Spurs will win one of the three in Miami, and then the Heat finish it back in San Antonio.

The finals format is actually 2-2-1-1-1 now....I expect the Heat to win games 2, 3, 4 and 6 ultimately (all 3 at home).

• Like 1

Series could go either way, really. For tonight, I'll take the Spurs. Everyone will be well-rested and Green will be able knock down some 3's. I can see the series going 7, with San Antonio winning 4-3 at home. Nothing at all against the Heat, I just think that after losing last year and becoming the #1 team in the league this year that the Spurs won't let this one slip away. It'd be a pretty neat conclusion to the storyline, as well, haha. It will be some very exciting basketball nonetheless.

• Like 2