2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

I like the helmet. It's not super offensive or anything, but it's really generic and bland. I'd sooner have gone back to the creamsicle days if you really wanted to make a big change.

As for Kap, that pay scale is about what you'd expect for a Franchise QB. For reference that'd put him just above Eli Manning & Matt Stafford, and just below Jay Cutler & Peyton Manning. He'd also be making about what Romo makes. Not to say those guys are all accurately paid, but he probably deserves that 7-10 QB pay scale for what he's done with the team and the upside he still has left.

Kaepernick isn't great. He has a sub 60 career completion percentage which is terrible considering how often teams will have to spy and contain him because of his legs.

I wouldn't be rushing to overpay him, but he'll get paid around the rumoured mark given the demand for QBs.

My only thing with paying him this much is that it comes after only 23 starts. I'd like to see a larger sample size of what he can do before shelling out that kind of cash. However, there's no question that he seems to get better in the playoffs so it's a bit harder to gauge.

Yeah, that's a drawback with letting a rookie quarterback develop a year or two. That time comes off that rookie contract just as if he were playing. Someone like Luck and Wilson will have a larger sample size when their rookie contract is up than someone like Kaep. You can't fault a team like San Fran for having Colin sit and learn for a year, but it costs them when it's contract time. Gotta take the good (mental, non-physical development) with the bad, I suppose.

I think while he doesn't have great accuracy, he is great at controlling the ball (1.9 INT% last year, 1.7% for his career) and as was said his running game adds a dynamic. I certainly think he's a top 10 QB (Which is around what he's asking for) and with Boldin & Crabtree for a whole year I think his passing numbers will improve as well. I mean he certainly has benifitted from his situation (Great defense, run game, coach) but he's taken advantage of those assets and seems capable of winning it all.

You also have to consider a guy like Andy Dalton could be getting like 10 million plus and he's clearly got a lot more flaws :shifty:

Oakland has something like $63 million to spend this offseason. If they can re-sign Veldheer and Houston, get Byrd, maybe Melton out of Chicago, and sign a receiver to go across from Moore, they might actually look like a NFL team next year. This is the year when we're supposed to start getting better, they basically told e fans they were throwing away the last two years...

Still can't decide if I'll be happy if they draft a QB, or if I'd rather they go defense (Anthony Barr, yes please!), or maybe Sammy Watkins... Maybe even offensive line.