2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

Thank you Bengals for remaining a non SB threat for the foreseeable future with this extension for a mediocre QB, the same guy who has held a SB caliber roster back the last 2 seasons. Not that the Browns will ever benefit from it <_< but it's still nice to know there's a chance.

I hope Andy Dalton gets AJ Green a nice present with his new deal. Or else you know gives him half of the money, because that's how much he'd have been lucky to get if it weren't for Green.

As good as Boldin was and as good as Smith, Smith, and Pitta are now they are nowhere near the level of AJ Green. Without Green there's no way Dalton is still an NFL starter. That's a big thing in this deal and in comparing Flacco and Dalton. I'm not gonna go into a homer mode and say Flacco is some worldbeater compared to Dalton but he's done more with less.

As good as Boldin was and as good as Smith, Smith, and Pitta are now they are nowhere near the level of AJ Green. Without Green there's no way Dalton is still an NFL starter. That's a big thing in this deal and in comparing Flacco and Dalton. I'm not gonna go into a homer mode and say Flacco is some worldbeater compared to Dalton but he's done more with less.

Agreed completely. AJ Green's stats are terrific but Andy Dalton misses on deep balls to him often. It is scary to think what Green would accomplish with Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers at QB. He definitely elevates Dalton's play in a big way.

This is fairly random, but the fact that in a stat-driven game such as football that the leading points scorer in the history of the game Morten Andersen is eligible for the Hall of Fame and hasn't been voted in is insanity.

Details on the Dalton contract, per rotoworld:

Updating a previous item, the actual value of Andy Dalton's six-year extension is $96 million with a $12 million signing bonus.
He also gets a $5 million roster bonus in three days. The guaranteed money is just $17 million -- the roster bonus and Dalton's signing bonus. Dalton was already under contract for a little over $1 million this year, so across seven seasons the base value of his new contract is essentially $97.09 million -- $13.87 million annually. Dalton can earn another $19 million through escalators, per PFT. People, on Twitter, at least, freaked out about the initially-reported worth, but this is going to end up being a front-loaded, team-friendly deal.
Still a dickload of money for an average QB.
Edited by munky

Giants running back David Wilson's career is over at age 23. After suffering a burner last week to his surgically repaired neck, he consulted with doctors today who advised him that he should never play again. He didn't formaly retire, the Giants will place him on injured reserve instead so that he can be paid for this season.

I feel gutted for the kid. He had explosive speed but due to fumbling problems he never really got a chance to show his full potential. By default the worst 1st round pick of the Jerry Reese era but that's really nobody's fault. The Giants assumed anything they got out of Wilson would be a bonus hence the Jennings signing, Hillis re-signing, and drafting of Andre Williams.

It's the right call though. You never wanna screw around with neck injuries especially in a game like football. I'm glad he's getting a chance to walk away.

49ers have waived perennial back up to Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter. I think he'll make it through and end up back up on our IR but will undoubtedly put more pressure on Gore to doing our running game all by himself.