2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

Allegedly he's signed with the Bucs, but we're waiting to hear from Plubby about his sources. Could be made up.

I just hope McCown works out for the Bucs, and that he's not another one of these quarterbacks that had some good games while the starter was injured and then became a hot commodity.

Then again, I'll take him over Glennon anyday.

That's the whole point though, they have precedent that they have to follow. It's a terrible precedent but as with any sort of rule-making, law-making body you can't undo precedent without a massive fight. Had it been 8 games the union would have come out swinging (and it would have been reduced to 4 pretty quickly). They don't look at severity of the offense, they just look at whether or not there was an offense. There's a lot of logical criticism for that system, but this is the system they have set up and have worked for through collective bargaining.

• Like 1

On one hand, the league is kind of handcuffed because any penalty they hand out would get reduced by the nflpa almost immediately due to the cba. On the other hand, fuck that. the nfl should have thrown a bookshelf at the guy and make the nflpa the bad guy on this one.

• Like 1

On one hand, the league is kind of handcuffed because any penalty they hand out would get reduced by the nflpa almost immediately due to the cba. On the other hand, fuck that. the nfl should have thrown a bookshelf at the guy and make the nflpa the bad guy on this one.

Yes! I would have felt at least a slight bit better if they had given him a stiffer penalty and then the nflpa has bargained it down. I mean at least that would have meant they tried

I'd say the issue isn't with the NFL. They are a sports organisation and Ray Rice committed a criminal offence. Shove him in a jail and he wouldn't be playing a down of football this year.

I should note that is an emotive reaction to this situation and in no way fully thought out. I don't know the ins and outs, I just feel someone beating his significant other should be spending a chunk of time in jail.

• Like 2

Per Deadspin, the list of finable offenses in the NFL

yvid35gt5wd7uzf5s4rl.png

I'd say the issue isn't with the NFL. They are a sports organisation and Ray Rice committed a criminal offence. Shove him in a jail and he wouldn't be playing a down of football this year.

I should note that is an emotive reaction to this situation and in no way fully thought out. I don't know the ins and outs, I just feel someone beating his significant other should be spending a chunk of time in jail.

He got indicted and he went into a pretrial intervention program instead of going to trial for it. You actually see this a lot with first-time domestic violence cases, for a lot of reasons I won't get into.

• Like 1

They'll still have a chance to talk to him after the season. I'm guessing they're not close to an agreement and they're going to see where the season takes them. If Suh blows up the league and has a hell of a year, I'm sure the Lions will wish they had worked something out now.

I think it's more like, if he has a good year and cuts down on BS penalties, they'll offer him pretty much whatever he wants (admittedly at a cost).