2014 NFL Season

Dan

Too bad the Eagles have two cupcake games left and the Cowboys secondary is likely to be set ablaze by Andrew Luck next week. We're bound for 11-5 and no playoffs.

A lot of recent posts have reminded me that I'd like to see two changes made in pro sports:

1. Intentionally tanking really isn't fair to fans who bought tickets. Though to be fair, if you buy tickets to a team that sucks, you deserve what you get. So how about some sort of punishment for a team that's caught intentionally tanking? Such as ending up with the last pick in the first round (or whichever round they have their first pick in), losing a future draft pick or having a salary cap reduction for a season.

2. Teams shouldn't make the playoffs (or play for the championship outright in some cases, such as college conferences) just because they're the least sucky team in an entire division that sucks. How about instead of a team with an even or losing record playing postseason, let them go home with the other losers and add an extra wildcard team (or have the top 2 teams in a conference division play each other if the other division completely sucks in the case of college) instead?

I find it hilarious that Fox decided to air the Bengals-Browns game in most parts of the country just so everyone could see Johnny Football flop. :lol:

So.....will Hoyer be back to starting next game, or......?

Manziel was terrible(and his offensive line did not help either), but Hoyer's last 4 or so starts have been near that level as well, only it's magnified due to who he is. The Browns are out of playoff contention, and they might as well go ahead and see what they have in Manziel in these last two games. Playing Hoyer would be pointless.

I think you'll find it was Manziel that ended up pointless...

• Like 4

In other news, noted Collegiate Grandpa Case Keenum is likely to start for the Texans next week.

Something something Kellen Moore something something Plubby sends me angry message on Facebook.

Edited by Slogger

How strange. I thought they'd give Tom Savage the rest of the year.

Apparently he was also injured towards the very end of the game. He came back in, but they need to do tests to see if he can play on Sunday.

In other news, noted Collegiate Grandpa Case Keenum is likely to start for the Texans next week.

Something something Kellen Moore something something Plubby sends me angry message on Facebook.

Let's hope Old Man Case can do the NFL a favour and deal Faultimore's playoff chances a blow.

In March the owners will be voting to expand the playoffs from 12 teams to 14 as well as changing playoff seedings. The proposed seedings would be: 1 seed gets a bye, 2 and 3 seeds are division winners with the next highest record/tiebreakers, and the fourth division winner will be guaranteed a playoff spot but seeds 4-7 will be based on record/tiebreakers. So for example, this year the NFC South winner would be the 7th seed and have to play the #2 seed on the road in Wild Card weekend.

The thinking seems to be that it's extremely rare for a wild card team to have a better record than the 3 seed, but the 5 seed has had a better record than the 4 seed pretty frequently. And of course years like 2010 and this year where both wild cards are better than the 4 seed.

I dunno. I'm a believer that if you win your division, you should not only make the playoffs but get a home playoff game. If the wild card team can't go on the road and beat an inferior opponent, they don't deserve to advance. Although it's fun to joke about it's never really bothered me that a bad division can produce a bad playoff team. In 2010 my 10-6 Giants stayed home while the 7-9 Seahawks got in. That's just the breaks.

Would be happy with 14 playoff teams though. It's still less than half the league, makes the 1 seed that much more important, and would make that first weekend of the playoffs extra fun.

I'm all for a 7-team playoff for each conference. Give the 1 seed all the more power, being the only one to have a bye week. I'm in agreement that the divisional winner should still be the top seeds. Add a 3rd wild card team, but don't favor the wildcard teams. Yeah the NFC South has sucked this year, but you get years like that. Schedules vary depending on what other divisions you play, where you finished last season... next year we could see 3 good NFC South teams and a weak division somewhere else. Keep the principles of the division intact.

• Like 1