2014 NFL Season

Dan

Mike Ditka is a nasty, miserable, old man, who is paid by ESPN to talk about football in part because he is nasty and miserable and old. So there's really no surprise that when asked to weigh in on Ray Rice being released by the Baltimore Ravens four months after he knocked his then-fiancée unconscious on tape, Ditka took Rice's side.

"I don't know Ray at all," Ditka said before, for some reason, feeling the need to continue. "I'm sure he's not a bad guy, but he made a bad mistake.

"Hey, two lives, are ruined," Ditka said. "These two lives are ruined. His earning power is destroyed. That's an important thing."

Cool, cool.

Can we just...ya know...never let Ditka speak ever again?

I see the Giants are determined to not let Dallas out-suck them. I admire their dedication to awfulness.

The whole East sucks.

Disagree. 75% of it sucks.

Yeah. Jay Gruden is really going to turn the Washington Football Team around. :w00t:

What's a bigger deal to me is that Ray Rice has no record after all this. I don't know what the NFL saw, but the fact that the state of New Jersey didn't feel it was worth a conviction says the most to me. As far as I'm aware there's only so much the league can see during an ongoing investigation, and that entire authority has been given to Goodell by the organizations in the league. I'm not the biggest fan of suspending/punishing guys before a conviction because of due process, but employers can see things and seek things out on social media and fire people all the time. Nobody appears to have sought things out, or it's always possible that the NFL took what it was given as enough. We might find out more in the future, but for now I'm glad we finally don't have him on our team and everyone is moving on.

Goodell will try to weather public outcry like he always does and wait for the angry mob to move onto to the next thing, and as long as it doesn't happen in the NFL he'll probably still be around.

And for those wondering, the last few weeks has seen a lot of Rice jerseys out and about. Almost entirely worn by women and children. I don't know how many will keep wearing them now. Stores will probably be clearing out their inventory over the course of the week.

• Like 1