2015 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

I will say that I had forgotten KC re-signed Chase Daniel so it would make sense for Kafka to go to Minnesota because he has a chance at the #2 job.

I'm not sure that either of them are in danger of losing their job so it's a little hard to gauge who's closer but I'd argue that the Chiefs having higher expectations for their season would indicate that Smith is more likely to be replaced if he struggles because he doesn't have the benefit of the doubt that a 2nd year QB typically has. Minnesota would be more inclined to be patient with Bridgewater than the Chiefs would be with Smith.

The thing with a guy like Bridgewater is you never know what's going on behind the scenes. If Mike Zimmer at any point feels his job is in jeopardy he could make a panic switch after a bad game. Or if they think the team is close and QB is the problem, etc. You see it a lot with the franchises that seem to permanently be rebuilding like Minnesota (I know they had the Favre year but ignoring that one) where you wonder if there is something organizational that always makes them jump the gun.

Yeah but you have to have a reasonably talented QB behind them to warrant the switch and I'm not sure that Kafka or 80 year old Shaun Hill present a better chance at winning in 2015 than Bridgewater. I think once they traded Cassel away it became clear that they're going all-in on Bridgewater.

Wait, again? Or did he never serve a suspension for getting busted with the pot last year?

IIRC the team sat him but yeah, he hadn't served a punishment for it from the NFL yet.