2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

Gordon will definitely smoke a celebratory blunt tonight.

He's an idiot but he definitely got screwed a small bit along the way too. I hope he turns it around, guy is scary talented.

Wasn't the last violation that he had a beer on a plane with the team while flying back from their final game of the season or something? I may be mixing up suspensions, but he was apparently banned from alcohol in-season and assumed because the Browns were done he should be fine, but the NFL told him that the season finishes after the SuperBowl, so when he was tested, he failed and was banned.

Yeah that was pretty screwy. The last weed violation was below Olympic standards for a fail too. 

He's provably been harshly done, but he has his own stupidity to blame. Hopefully he's finally learned his lesson now.

21 hours ago, DFF said:

Lions are signing Boldin! :)

I like this signing a lot. It's a low risk deal, one year, and he's a big bodied, sure handed vet. People can whine about how badly we will miss Megatron but I think we've done a fine job of picking up his slack with Boldin and Jones. I don't know, the football guys keep saying "Oh my god what will they ever do without Calvin?" but losing him wont be why we suck this year. 

• Like 2

So its come out that the Broncos were going to pay Osweiler $18 million a year, but he just refused to answer their phone calls.  I hope it works out for him on the Texans, but he really looks like an even bigger idiot for bailing on a Super Bowl winning team now.  Swallow your ridiculous pride, you got benched for Peyton Manning.

• Like 2

He got benched for the reanimated corpse of Peyton Manning. Not that Osweiler was lighting it up or anything but Peyton was one of the worst starting QBs in the league last year. Peyton switched to game manager in the playoffs and his strength was putting the offence in a position to not lose games for the generational defence, that's how they won. It's hard to argue against a Super Bowl, but it could've backfired and I understand why Brock walked.

Its perfectly understandable why he went to the Texans. Some people care more about playing time (or actually playing) or money more than they do championships *. Winning a championship riding the bench isn't the way to get it done. 

* (How else do you explain anyone willingly signing with the Browns, Jags, Lions or Titans when there are other options? Or with the Sixers or Knicks in the NBA, for that matter.....)

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Its perfectly understandable why he went to the Texans. Some people care more about playing time (or actually playing) or money more than they do championships *. Winning a championship riding the bench isn't the way to get it done. 

* (How else do you explain anyone willingly signing with the Browns, Jags, Lions or Titans when there are other options? Or with the Sixers or Knicks in the NBA, for that matter.....)

Salary cap limits the amount of marquee contracts are given out and you go where the money is. Besides, the Jags and Lions are good now. Jacksonville have an amazing young core and the cap space to renew the impending rookie deals. 

• Like 1