2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

If I were the Jets, I'd have signed him to the terms he wanted so that there was a little stability at the position for a couple of seasons. If gives Geno more time to learn, and the team more time to find another youngster to draft/veteran to become available to trade. It just seems like, for a bit of penny pinching, they are willing to potentially sacrifice their season (Fitz isn't the answer, but he has great rapport with Marshall and Decker, which is a cracking start to an offense. Add in that Forte is around now, and they could definitely do well).

In other news, Arian Foster is trying out for the Dolphins and Lions this week.

18 hours ago, DFF said:

If I were the Jets, I'd have signed him to the terms he wanted so that there was a little stability at the position for a couple of seasons. If gives Geno more time to learn, and the team more time to find another youngster to draft/veteran to become available to trade. It just seems like, for a bit of penny pinching, they are willing to potentially sacrifice their season (Fitz isn't the answer, but he has great rapport with Marshall and Decker, which is a cracking start to an offense. Add in that Forte is around now, and they could definitely do well).

In other news, Arian Foster is trying out for the Dolphins and Lions this week.

They probably should sign him for the stability, but they'd be taking the risk of giving him an undeserved windfall if he turns back into the Fitz of old and doesn't perform anything like he did last year. Unfortunately, I bet he'd balk at signing an incentive laden contract, which is what he really deserves. 

I also don't think Geno is the answer. He proved what kind of man he is with the way he acted regarding the draft, and unless he matures quick he's a career backup.

Glad Foster went to the Fins and not the Lions. Neither team is all that great, but the Dolphins are probably a better fit for him.

Edited by GhostMachine

They're in a tough spot. Because Sam Bradford just got a nice sized contract considering he stinks and it's a "wait-and-see" contract.Fitzpatrick played much better than Bradford, so his contract should reflect that. But it's not hard to understand why they don't want to give a guy that's had one good year a mega-contract for several years.

As a Jets fan... I personally think they didn't offer Fitz the money he wants because (besides the facts that all of you have said, which are all valid) they wanted to keep enough money open to sign Wilkerson. If they signed Fitz for what he wanted, they probably wouldn't have had enough money to give Wilkerson the contract he deserved. Basically, who has the most upside in the future, Muhammed Wilkerson or Ryan Fitzpatrick?

I also think that Chan Gailey will make the offense simple enough for Geno Smith to do well. After all, Chan is the man who made Fitzpatrick relevant not once, but twice. Once in Buffalo, and again last season. Geno Smith may not be as intelligent or battle-tested as Fitzpatrick. But Smith is more mobile and does throw a beautiful football. If his maturity, accuracy, and offensive reads have improved then he will do well. You also have to remember that his first 2 years in the league he was playing in a Marty Mornhinweg West Coast scheme with a depleted offense. Now he's playing in a Chan Gailey Spread scheme with a bunch of offensive weapons. I wouldn't write Geno Smith off just yet.

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

JJ Watt out for 8-10 weeks. Bollocks.

Ooh, and that Pats game is 9 weeks away. Could be interesting!